Spring Football

badbird

Well I was moved to the off topic board again with Columbia basketball and softball.  Same Difference.  You heard it here first.  Spring sports will not be completed.  I'm claiming my school as the state champs in Baseball, Softball and Girls Lacrosse. I'm allowing someone else to claim boys Lax, tennis and weightlifting.  I'm going to talk about spring football so I don't get moved.  Will we have spring football this year?   I heard they are proposing a new penalty in football.  Coughing 15 yard penalty.  Second offense is ejection.

1 minute ago, badbird said:

Well I was moved to the off topic board again with Columbia basketball and softball.  Same Difference.  You heard it here first.  Spring sports will not be completed.  I'm claiming my school as the state champs in Baseball, Softball and Girls Lacrosse. I'm allowing someone else to claim boys Lax, tennis and weightlifting.  I'm going to talk about spring football so I don't get moved.  Will we have spring football this year?   I heard they are proposing a new penalty in football.  Coughing 15 yard penalty.  Second offense is ejection.

Wouldn't know I probably won't even go to any Columbia football games this year 

Maybe I'll consider checking out some other schools in 2020 

Badbird, I hate to say it, but I think you're probably right.   The FHSAA has been relatively silent about the whole thing (i.e., spring sports, spring football, etc.), so it may end up being a county-by-county decision.   Which could also prove interesting, as I'm not sure how much authority, if any, the county athletic departments have over the private schools in their counties.  But, ultimately, I see the dominoes starting to fall and the public schools (with a couple of notable exceptions) will fall in line with the NCAA and basically write off all sports, including spring football, for the rest of the school year.  In return, they might give football an extra week or two to get ready for the fall season (which, with school starting in mid-August and football set to start up end of July, could mean student-athletes practicing in pads in Florida in July -- OUCH!). 

3 hours ago, badbird said:

You can go watch all the V schools

Closest one is a hour and half away at Vanguard

I was thinking within a 30-45 minute radius and maybe a hour depending if the matchup is good enough

Hell maybe I'll check out a Madison game next year or maybe TCA when one those SFL teams come up to north Florida

As a football coach up near Orlando, I am very much resigned to the fact that we likely will not have Spring ball. After today's announcement of students having to stay away from schools until at least April 15, I think that the FHSAA will have cover to cancel all Spring sports. I feel worst for seniors who can't finish sports like track, weightlifting, etc. 

12 minutes ago, Coach said:

As a football coach up near Orlando, I am very much resigned to the fact that we likely will not have Spring ball. After today's announcement of students having to stay away from schools until at least April 15, I think that the FHSAA will have cover to cancel all Spring sports. I feel worst for seniors who can't finish sports like track, weightlifting, etc. 

yup it's over.  District Lacrosse was scheduled to start April 13th.  District baseball/softball April 20th.  I really feel bad for those kids that won't get to end their senior season.  However life is not always fair.  If they had a good coach he/she taught them the sport is more than winning and losing and they will find positives in this horrible situation.  Would love to see stories of teams rallying together to support those in need.  

Well then I guess it's time I sign out for a while then, I'm thinking right now that I have no interest at this current time in going to any Columbia games this year so maybe I'll just sign out for the upcoming football season because why give coverage to a sport who makes me jump through hoops to give any information that could make my job manageable to work with but they will give the LCR any info needed and the LCR don't even care about the athletes unless they a football player 

22 hours ago, skyway said:

I'm not sure what spring football 2022 will look like. There will be no spring football in 2020 or 2021. And no season period in 2020.

They not gonna put the entire country on hold for 2 years, it would bankrupt the country 

Some areas might be in pause mode longer than others but not the entire country

4 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

They not gonna put the entire country on hold for 2 years, it would bankrupt the country 

Some areas might be in pause mode longer than others but not the entire country

I see the entire country locking down for 4-6 weeks at some point

6 hours ago, badbird said:

I see the entire country locking down for 4-6 weeks at some point

They can't lock down completely because there will always have to give the ability to get the bare essentials (food,water, etc)

Closest you will see is a travel restriction and closing entry into any non grocery buildings 

But what this dude is claiming is completely ridiculous and he made the same ridiculous claim on the national board and while I chose to ignore it on there because quite frankly the people on the national board are probably oblivious and clueless enough to believe it but I'm not gonna stay quiet with the ridiculous claim on my turf 

And believe me as soon as schools are deemed able to reopen so will athletics because how the hell can you deem it safe to attend school with over 2k kids and 200 faculty members but it's not deemed safe enough for 2 teams of 60 kids (football) or 2 teams of 10-20 kids (other sports) to go play sports 

I call Bull on that crap 

8 hours ago, skyway said:

A complete lockdown is not needed to still cancel sporting events. All that's needed is a ban on events with more than 250 (or fewer) people. That figures to be in place until we have a vaccine. And that figures to be Fall of 2021. 

I know of a handful of schools in the greater Tampa Bay area where there would be no risk of having a crowd of more than 250.  B)

All kidding aside, I don't see why football couldn't work . . .  two teams of 60 each together with coaches, officials and essential  personnel.  Allow each player to designate two fans each to attend the games.  Spread the fans out in the home and visiting side stands.  No bands, dancers or cheerleaders until things are under control, then start re-introducing these aspects of the game one at a time.  In short, it would look like most high school JV games.  Perhaps they could add in a streaming service that would allow the games to be viewed by small crowds at local restaurants . . . again, once we get to the point that small crowds can congregate at local restaurants.  PPV-style.   What am I missing?

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

All kidding aside, I don't see why football couldn't work . . .  two teams of 60 each together with coaches, officials and essential  personnel.  Allow each player to designate two fans each to attend the games.  Spread the fans out in the home and visiting side stands.  No bands, dancers or cheerleaders until things are under control, then start re-introducing these aspects of the game one at a time.  In short, it would look like most high school JV games.  Perhaps they could add in a streaming service that would allow the games to be viewed by small crowds at local restaurants . . . again, once we get to the point that small crowds can congregate at local restaurants.  PPV-style.   What am I missing?

I think the drastic changes to the nature of the game you describe may push leaders to just cancel all together. Managing the fans who do show up (Who's list are you on?) could prove to be highly impractical if not impossible. 

But, also, there is strong sentiment among the health professionals that we won't be able to move much away from "lockdown" status at all for more than about a month at a time until there is a vaccine.

14 hours ago, skyway said:

A complete lockdown is not needed to still cancel sporting events. All that's needed is a ban on events with more than 250 (or fewer) people. That figures to be in place until we have a vaccine. And that figures to be Fall of 2021. 

Plus if you can open schools and put anywhere from 1-4k kids together how can you justify stopping athletics which often times will be significantly less

Most schools in Florida have little to no fan support anyway so it probably wouldn't even be noticed having no fans in the stands for some these programs  

5 hours ago, Perspective said:

Well streaming service wouldn't happen for Columbia

They have a "stubborn" attitude towards 21st century ideas like that LMAO

According to the Ocala Star Banner all HS football teams in Marion County will be able to practice during the spring as usual. However, they will not be able to scrimmage with another school. Don't really know if this means that the Spring Games in May won't be played. I think it is too early for that determination.

1 hour ago, Proseteye said:

According to the Ocala Star Banner all HS football teams in Marion County will be able to practice during the spring as usual. However, they will not be able to scrimmage with another school. Don't really know if this means that the Spring Games in May won't be played. I think it is too early for that determination.

That will likely change if schools aren't able to reopen on April 15th

The schools currently closed aren't allowed to run any extra curricular activities

Personally I think if you can't play the spring sports which have far less players than football would then it is very hypocritical to have football running practices 

Marion County Public Schools have announced that all school-based and extracurricular activities have been canceled or postponed until March 24.

The decision is being made in light of cancellations happening worldwide due to the novel Coronavirus. The county said in a statement Thursday, ”[It’s] out of an abundance of caution for our students, staff, and community, and because of safety concerns related to COVID-19.”

This decision includes all extra-curricular and sporting competitions, club-based outings, district events and events attracting more than 250 people.

Visits to colleges and universities have also been canceled due to Wednesday’s directive to move certain campuses to online platforms.

According to Marion County Public Schools, individual schools and teams still have the option to hold practices at this time, but no competitions or activities with other schools are permitted.

The county plans to resume activities as planned starting March 25, although some cancellations are expected.