Miramar (6-2) @ Flanagan (6-0) Predictions

BrowardHandicapper

Miramar who appears to be clicking on all cylinders now will look to take control of District 12 - 8A  Friday night when they take on cross-town rival Flanagan.  Although Flanagan have not really been tested, some believe the Falcons may finally have what it takes to get a win vs. the Patriots.  This game will likely play a big role in the postseason  vs. the District 11 8A next month.  The loser will likely have to play @ Monarch (even though they don't have a home field) and the winner will likely get the reward of hosting a Douglas or Coral Springs which would likely be a much easier task to advance.

A month ago, I liked Flanagan to win this in a very close game.  However, based on the recent progress of the Miramar QB situation  players returning  from suspensions and health....Miramar might be a better team now then they were in the first few weeks.  I'll need another day to think this one out...

I wanna do a little history lesson here if I can.

Win streak against Flanagan and can only get information far back as 2004 8 wins straight

One state title 2009 and state runner title 2011

OOS game 0-1 against Desoto 42-41, who's now ranked 10 in the country 

2013 undefeated regular season before playoffs

2014 played 3 good schools; American Heritage (Delray), American Heritage (Plantation) and St. Thomas Aquinas

American Heritage (Delray) has one lost to Miramar, American Heritage (Plantation) 2 loses St. Thomas and Mainland (undefeated) and St. Thomas one lost to Bosco

Overall record I'd say the last 7 years 72-19

Now that I've gotten this lesson out of the way I wanna start of by saying I'm frustrated, pissed off and angry on the fact that nobody has been giving Miramar a chance in this game. Trust me when I say this which is I'm not knocking Flanagan down at all because they did what they needed to do being 7-0. Now I know people are looking at both schedules and saying Flanagan has had the easier road and I agree, however Flanagan can't help who's on their schedule so if these schools don't come to play and get the breaks beat off them oh well and the same can be said about Central and Booker T. Washington. I say all this to say that Miramar has an impressive resume and in with every opponent they play they should be the underdog. lastly, Flanagan better bring it because they haven't faced an opponent like Miramar thus far and Miramar is going to bring it.

09mrslick , I do think the home field does have a few small advantages. As long as they are not losing the Home Field will have the crowd.  We also know Home teams tend to get a few more close calls throughout the game.  Not supposed to but it is what it is.......However, to your defense (more specifically to Miramar's defense) for the purpose of this matchup I discovered Miramar has outscored opponents on the Road this year 189 - 14 . That includes @ Heritage- Delray 14-7 , @ Plantation 42-0 , @ Western 49-0, @ McArthur 35-0,  and @ Everglades 49-7.....  Regardless of the level of the opponent, Miramar has taken care of business away from home.

This matchup last year at Miramar was electric, I remember getting to the game a little late and they didn't allow anyone in - full, full house ( had to walk around to get peeks of the game).  The game was close for the most part.  Miramar prevailed 24-16. Miramar will go into this year's game in what may be their top season form (QB - Demari Simpkins appears to have made a lot of progress)  and Flanagan has been pretty much even keel all year- as we all know, not nearly as battle tested.  Miramar may have faced more or equally talented teams but this may be the most physical team they have seen yet.  Not so much on the line, but the Falcons pass rush is pretty intense.  I don't know if it is the formations, players, or both but their linebackers don't let opponents breath. At the end of the day this may be a lower scoring defensive showdown (Dark Side vs. Dirty Birds) ....that said what QB will make few fewer mistakes?  Miramar's Simpkins may be more prone to a fumble but Stanley may be more subject through the air and getting picked off vs. arguably the best secondary in FL.   Will the King (Miramar)  of District 12 -8A be temporarily dethroned? Probably not.  But since I have been drinking this Flanagan and Monarch Kool Aid all year, why stop now?

Flanagan 20  Miramar 19

Let me point this out. I remember when Miramar played both Carol City and Central away at Traz Powell stadium and the stadium was electric on the home side and I sat on that side because I had to not by choice. Any who both wins were close but won by Miramar. Also, when Miramar went on the road in the playoffs against Cypress Bay and Deerfield Beach both were close but wins for Miramar. Not to mention, which this has nothing to do with Miramar but didn't Ole Miss go on the road and beat the Alabama Crimson Tide so yes when it comes to home field advantage it doesn't matter it's anybodies game.

fumble Miramar, Flanagan returns 30 yds to Miramar 5. Td Flanagan and missed xp. 21-12 Miramar. As I type this another big hit by Flanagan on the kickoff return and fumble Miramar. Flanagan ball on Miramar 45. Another player hurt on the play (Flanagan) ..both teams have players going off. Very physical game as expected...

I was at the game and to be honest it was a game of two halves....To me Flanagan just wanted it a little more in the closing minutes. The first half ended identical to last year (close game Flanagan looking to take the lead and in the closing seconds Miramar - pick 6)  This year was different, Flanagan was just a little better and rebounded just enough to get the W.....

I thought Miramar went a little to conservative late in the third, started eating clock a little early and was playing not to lose instead of playing to win....   I was surprised that Miramar stopped attacking the small Flanagan corner(I think #8) in the second half.  Most of their offensive yards and their TD in the first half through the air on that corner. I would have thought after the St. Thomas and Heritage 4th quarter debuckles that Miramar would not let this game get away.

Flanagan's QB Stanley really stepped up in the fourth ( broke a sack and ran 28 yards in the late game winning drive)  and he may have been the slight edge in the game vs the Miramar QB.  As I expected, Miramar did indeed get a few picks and Flanagan feasted on sacks and causing fumbles....Should Miramar beat Monarch they will likely face Flanagan in the playoffs.  If these teams played 10 times they would likely split 5/5 .  I watched the game from the Miramar sideline and I thought the vibe, the conversations of the crowd and the Miramar players may have underestimated Flanagan a little bit.  Especially when Miramar went up 21-6 in the 3rd.  I myself doubted Flanagan would mount a comeback like they did.  At the end of the day Flanagan showed enough to prove they are legit and not just paper tigers.