If there is football this season. NW should 4 peat

topnotch305

I stand by assertion from a month ago that by August, school districts will have sports. The CDC guidelines are almost impossible to implement at any school that has more than 100 students, so school districts will say screw it.  Parents will be at the end of their ropes come August and will have bigger protests than the "I need a hair cut" protests. Governor opened up gyms and gave permission for youth activities (summer camps, sports, etc). So I have no doubt that we will have football. I do agree with some that maybe a shortened season of 8 games might be appropriate to allow some flexibility for school districts that might start late. 

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

I stand by assertion from a month ago that by August, school districts will have sports. The CDC guidelines are almost impossible to implement at any school that has more than 100 students, so school districts will say screw it.  Parents will be at the end of their ropes come August and will have bigger protests than the "I need a hair cut" protests. Governor opened up gyms and gave permission for youth activities (summer camps, sports, etc). So I have no doubt that we will have football. I do agree with some that maybe a shortened season of 8 games might be appropriate to allow some flexibility for school districts that might start late. 

If we are going to have football, from a Coronavirus perspective, we would be better off starting early with a shortened season. The odds are fairly high we have a second wave of this bad boy in the fall. And, coupled with the flu season it could be worse and we likely will still not have a vaccine that quickly.

Ending the regular season in late September and the whole season by early November, would reduce the risk of exposing the kids, fans, officials and other parties to what could be an unmitigated disaster. 

8 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If we are going to have football, from a Coronavirus perspective, we would be better off starting early with a shortened season. The odds are fairly high we have a second wave of this bad boy in the fall. And, coupled with the flu season it could be worse and we likely will still not have a vaccine that quickly.

Ending the regular season in late September and the whole season by early November, would reduce the risk of exposing the kids, fans, officials and other parties to what could be an unmitigated disaster. 

I think this year hurricane season gonna play a big role in how the football season may turn out too, I'm wishing we can get football this year tho

2 hours ago, Floridatech said:

I think this year hurricane season gonna play a big role in how the football season may turn out too, I'm wishing we can get football this year tho

Probably, the forecast is for several severe storms. Personally, I want the kids to stay safe. So, I am torn between wanting a season and thinking we should wait a year to when we have a vaccine. 

20 minutes ago, Floridatech said:

Dont take the vaccine 

If it goes through proper testing I will take it. If I have issues with an American produced vaccine, I will travel abroad to get one. A vaccine or an effective treatment via a drug combination are critical to returning to normal life. If this disease stays with us in un-treatable form, life as we currently know it, will never return. 

On 5/24/2020 at 9:26 AM, DarterBlue2 said:

Probably, the forecast is for several severe storms. Personally, I want the kids to stay safe. So, I am torn between wanting a season and thinking we should wait a year to when we have a vaccine. 

Like the yearly flu vaccine that is usually 10% effective?

The coaches at NW were trying to gain an unfair competitive edge over their future opponents by practicing illegally in direct violation of FHSAA rules. If they have a "pair", the FHSAA should sanction NW and their coaches. The NW team should be banned from post-season play for the 20-21 football season and their players should not be allowed to play for another school in the 20-21 season. Short of that, the FHSAA would be a joke. 

19 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

The coaches at NW were trying to gain an unfair competitive edge over their future opponents by practicing illegally in direct violation of FHSAA rules. If they have a "pair", the FHSAA should sanction NW and their coaches. The NW team should be banned from post-season play for the 20-21 football season and their players should not be allowed to play for another school in the 20-21 season. Short of that, the FHSAA would be a joke. 

the players were doing what they were told.  They won't and shouldn't be punished.  The hammer should come down on any adult that participated or any admin that knew and didn't stop it 

Just now, badbird said:

the players were doing what they were told.  They won't and shouldn't be punished.  The hammer should come down on any adult that participated or any admin that knew and didn't stop it 

Do you honestly believe that the kids didn't know they were prohibited from participating in supervised practices while schools were shut down for the remainder of the school year?  FHSAA rules do not make exceptions for players or coaches who are "unaware" of the rules. 

49 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Do you honestly believe that the kids didn't know they were prohibited from participating in supervised practices while schools were shut down for the remainder of the school year?  FHSAA rules do not make exceptions for players or coaches who are "unaware" of the rules. 

Not the point, though. The players are competing for starting positions and even to just make roster. Failure to go out and practice would surely jeopardize this objective. 

30 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Not the point, though. The players are competing for starting positions and even to just make roster. Failure to go out and practice would surely jeopardize this objective. 

So, you're saying the end justifies the means. Better to go along with cheating than to risk not winning a starting position. The FHSAA could make every one of those players that participated ineligible for a year. What do you tell kids on opposing teams that didn't have the benefit of possibly two additional months of team practice?

1 minute ago, HornetFan said:

So, you're saying the end justifies the means. Better to go along with cheating than to risk not winning a starting position. The FHSAA could make every one of those players that participated ineligible for a year. What do you tell kids on opposing teams that didn't have the benefit of possibly two additional months of team practice?

No, I am not. I am saying what Bad Bird said. Punish the adults, not the kids. I am not going to argue with you on the matter. You have your opinion and I have mine. I don't know if you have ever coached, been a player or had a kid on a competitive team. But if any of this applies, you really ought to have a better perspective. 

9 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

No, I am not. I am saying what Bad Bird said. Punish the adults, not the kids. I am not going to argue with you on the matter. You have your opinion and I have mine. I don't know if you have ever coached, been a player or had a kid on a competitive team. But if any of this applies, you really ought to have a better perspective. 

I have two grandsons playing HS football in Central Florida and they are fully aware that organized practices are forbidden, not only by the FHSAA, but by the Governor's office. They work out individually, or in small informal groups organized by the kids themselves. They don't have the benefit of football coaches instructing them at practices during the pandemic. These players are not children, they're young adults and should know that cheating should not be rewarded. In life, if you're caught cheating, and they were, there are supposed to be consequences.

5 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

They don't have the benefit of football coaches instructing them at practices during the pandemic.

Bingo. Their coaches are not trying to break the rules. And this is what you are not seeing. If they had coaches that put pressure on them to go out to organized practice, how would they respond? You may give an answer that they would not comply, but do you really know that for sure? And, yes, they are kids. They may have adult bodies and "think" they are adults, but in reality most 16-18 year olds are in that crazy, confusing phase between being kids still and taking on adult responsibilities. To confuse them with being adults as I understand the term, is way off the mark.

But like I said, I am done. We can agree to disagree like adults, or you can argue with yourself, for I am done on this and the other matter. 

On 5/24/2020 at 11:15 AM, Floridatech said:

Dont take the vaccine 

I work in Pharma for one of the companies that is making a vaccine... I work directly with the distributors who this will be placed with... I can only speak for myself but I trust the products my company makes.  That is my personal opinion though I am not trying to sway anyone who is against taking a vaccine.  I myself have never taking a flu vaccine but this one I will highly consider.  Of course I would not be one of the 1st to take it though.

On 5/24/2020 at 11:39 AM, DarterBlue2 said:

If it goes through proper testing I will take it. If I have issues with an American produced vaccine, I will travel abroad to get one. A vaccine or an effective treatment via a drug combination are critical to returning to normal life. If this disease stays with us in un-treatable form, life as we currently know it, will never return. 

I will quote Tech, his comment was deleted

"Bro dont take any of em it's all a trap use your head and ask yourself what is going on"

Tech to say that is to say Darter is not a wise man... He has lived many a years past probably you and me and is just fine.  All I am saying is everything isn't as it seems.  Don't take the vaccine I am an advocate for personal decisions however your methodology is not the end all be all.  I will have a lot more info on this vaccine in the coming months.  

On 5/25/2020 at 2:50 PM, HornetFan said:

Why punish the players for the decisions of adults?

42 minutes ago, peezy28 said:

Peezy, I understand your point, and I'm not going to debate it -- although I'm tempted. B)

However, in the past, either the FHSAA or a particular county has been willing to punish kids for (perceived) wrongdoings, typically by ruling them ineligible.  Think back to the kid(s) who tried to claim they were living in a particular district so that they could play for a particular high-flying team.  When it was determined that they really weren't living where they said they were living, they were declared ineligible. 

My point is that it won't surprise me if the coaches get the lion's share of the penalties, but it also won't surprise me if the kids have to pay some small price for doing what they should not have been doing -- even if their coaches said it was OK. 

1 hour ago, peezy28 said:

I will quote Tech, his comment was deleted

"Bro dont take any of em it's all a trap use your head and ask yourself what is going on"

Tech to say that is to say Darter is not a wise man... He has lived many a years past probably you and me and is just fine.  All I am saying is everything isn't as it seems.  Don't take the vaccine I am an advocate for personal decisions however your methodology is not the end all be all.  I will have a lot more info on this vaccine in the coming months.  

Yea keep up with some updates.  I personally have never taken any flu vaccine (rarely ever get sick),  but I'd love to hear from someone on the inside regarding this.

7 hours ago, peezy28 said:

If you don't somehow place a penalty on the team (players), not just the coaching staff, you send the message that you're willing to allow NW to have a competitive advantage over teams that followed the rules and did not have the benefit of training as a team during the pandemic shut down. If these players don't know right from wrong at 16-18 years of age, they will carry that same sense of entitlement into their college years and beyond; they're not innocent children.