Spring Football "Practice" in a Coronavirus World

Perspective

So, Spring Football was technically cancelled, right?   That means we're still in the "off season," right?     What can schools being doing now?  Just conditioning?    Can coaches be communicating with players about plays, schemes, coverages, tendencies, etc.?    Can it be done in a group/virtual session (like Zoom)?    Not trying to get anyone in trouble here, but there seems to be a difference of opinion as to what can be done and what cannot be done.   Whereas some schools are opting to ask for permission, others appear to be forging ahead knowing they may have to ask for forgiveness later.   And if there's ever a time to ask for forgiveness, now's probably that time.  Has the FHSAA sent out any guidelines to schools?  If not, why not?  They need to be proactive on this issue.   Recognize that we are in uncharted waters and communicate with all schools what they can do and what they can't do the remainder of this school year and over the summer so everyone is on an equal playing field, but no one runs the risk of inadvertently breaking the rules. 

Not much I think is the answer.  A HC of a PInellas program asked or was going to post some work outs and training regimes that players can do at home on their own time and was vehemently shot down by his AD who was taking orders from the county AD that said none of that is allowed right now.  This was early in April I believe when it happened.

53 minutes ago, peezy28 said:

Not much I think is the answer.  A HC of a PInellas program asked or was going to post some work outs and training regimes that players can do at home on their own time and was vehemently shot down by his AD who was taking orders from the county AD that said none of that is allowed right now.  This was early in April I believe when it happened.

Yet other Pinellas (and Hillsborough) schools are doing Zoom calls with position coaches two or three times a week. 

Again, I don't care as long as everyone is playing by the same rules.  If they haven't done so already, the FHSAA needs to get out ahead of this one and put out some CQR's (Coronavirus Quarantine Rules) that everyone should play by. 

On 4/29/2020 at 3:24 PM, Perspective said:

Yet other Pinellas (and Hillsborough) schools are doing Zoom calls with position coaches two or three times a week. 

Again, I don't care as long as everyone is playing by the same rules.  If they haven't done so already, the FHSAA needs to get out ahead of this one and put out some CQR's (Coronavirus Quarantine Rules) that everyone should play by. 

I am not sure if Zoom is restricted or not but I do know and I saw the messages that you cannot under any circumstances send your players work out material or tell ask suggest them to do certain workouts.  You will be fired immediately.  That was Pinellas only though.

17 minutes ago, peezy28 said:

I am not sure if Zoom is restricted or not but I do know and I saw the messages that you cannot under any circumstances send your players work out material or tell ask suggest them to do certain workouts.  You will be fired immediately.  That was Pinellas only though.

Only Pinellas.  Definitely happening in other counties.  Heck some people are having players group up and work out together to hold each other accountable.

5 hours ago, badbird said:

Only Pinellas.  Definitely happening in other counties.  Heck some people are having players group up and work out together to hold each other accountable.

Kids are going to do what kids do.   And if a handful of kids are getting together to lift weights, do drills, etc., so be it.   But if a head or assistant coach is out that there requiring -- or even encouraging --  kids to ignore government/school district social distancing rules, they're likely going to end up in some hot water.   And with good reason.    Again, all the more reason why the FHSAA needs to come up with and disseminate a playbook with guidelines that make it clear what can and can't be done between now and the time football season officially starts again.  

So, what is the final deal on preparing these teams for the season ahead and who makes the decision? The Governor, the County, the Schools, the Coaches, the FHSAA? Has anyone heard what the planned date is that practices will be able to begin? Or is that still pending virus mitigation? Have no idea why coaches cannot lead virtual practices where the players workout from home. How has this anything to do with spreading the virus?