The Most Dominant FL HS Defense Ever? Pensacola 2009

OldSchoolLion

This team gave up less than 100 points on its way to a 14-1 record and the school's first state title.  That included 6 shutouts, including multiple shutouts during its playoff run.  In the regional finals, they shut out a team that came into the game 12-0 and averaging 43 points per game.  They won the state title game without completing a single pass.  Their defense never allowed more than 14 points in a game during the season.  

Who was this great state championship team?

49 minutes ago, badbird said:

Flanagan's 2015 defense wasn't bad.  Didn't give up a TD in the first half of any game until the state title.

They could certainly make a case, badbird, though they are not the team I described above.  They did finish 2015 12-2 with 6 shutouts, including 3 in the playoffs, and they gave up less than 100 points total for the season.  . 

On 5/12/2020 at 6:32 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

Pensacola High's 2009 state championship team, shown winning the title below, allowed their playoff opponents only 13 points in 5 games.  In the regional finals, they traveled all the way to powerful St Augustine and shut them out 9-0.  

What happen to them afterwards did the coach eventually leave or the talent just wasn’t the same as that special year

On 5/12/2020 at 8:42 AM, badbird said:

Ha they were really good.  Almost shocked the world that year.  Rainey busted off a 70 plus yard run middle of the fourth quarter to beat us.  

The defense in 2006 wasn't anything to write home about. It was an uneven group. Really good DL in John Brown, really good safeties in Black and Wilks, and a lot of otherwise average guys. They struggled to get stops vs. St. X, Kathleen, Mainland (at times) and STA. Perhaps the 2005 version was the one he meant to say? 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I feel like y'all are always solid so I don't see y'all going no worse than 7-3. Biggest question mark for Cocoa is their O-line since they are only returning 1 and on the defensive side they only return their blue chip edge in their front 7 
    • Coach Wiseman, let me just preface this by saying that you were the best HC Sarasota's program has had in the last 20+ years. You brought them from being a perpetual losing program to the doorstep of competing with Venice for a district title and a deep playoff run. SHS will curse the day they fired you now that they are back in a rut. You are a true class act, and nothing will ever convince me otherwise.  Our backfield is certainly sparse right now. We do have Dorian Jones, a rising sophomore runningback whom did considerably well considering his limited playing time last season. Our offense will need an overhaul with the graduation of 3 offensive linemen and almost our entire receiving corps. Our defensive line will be strong with the return of Ke'shawn Vaughn, Elijah Jones, and Asharri Charles. Our linebacking corps graduates virtually everybody but should have at least one bright spot with the return of Ben Zarkawiecz. Our defensive backfield is still a work in progress with the graduation of Lester and Platt. At the moment, we have more question marks than exclamation points. And that's not a good feeling with the kind of competition Venice is going to face. 
    • It's possible that they find their stride by week 5, but at the moment we just don't have the on-paper talent to compete with teams like Miami NW, IMG National, Cocoa, or Bishop Verot. If Venice can find a way to go 7-3 with that schedule I would be happy
    • Ocala Vanguard https://x.com/VanguardFB/status/1772951193179840761?s=20
    • Just wait till spring is over and the top RB in the area will take his talent to 1 Indian Ave. 
  • Popular Contributors