Upsets of 2019 - Palmetto vs Lincoln Video

OldSchoolLion

6 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Lincoln was no joke. They came within a whisker of beating Edgewater which proceeded to put the fear of God into St. Thomas in the 7A final. 

Palmetto's #1 rankings at the time was due to an inflated RPI that in hindsight was not as strong at year end. 

18 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Palmetto's #1 rankings at the time was due to an inflated RPI that in hindsight was not as strong at year end. 

Palmetto was a good team. The state semifinal was way more competitive than the final. Palmetto gave Miami Central a good game and could have won. Central won the sate title game in blowout fashion. 

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

People continue to underestimate the toll that a long (4 plus hours) bus ride can take on young athletes - especially when gametime heat becomes a factor, as well. 

Lincoln made the 3.5 hour drive from Tally and took Edgewater to overtime in the second round before losing. Regarding the state title final, St Thomas has abundant resources. If they chose to drive up day of game and not spend the night in Daytona, it is totally on them. 

16 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Lincoln made the 3.5 hour drive from Tally and took Edgewater to overtime in the second round before losing. Regarding the state title final, St Thomas has abundant resources. If they chose to drive up day of game and not spend the night in Daytona, it is totally on them. 

Darter, I hear what you're saying, but I was actually referring to the first game mentioned, in which Palmetto made the drive up to Tally for an early-season game. 

When it comes time for playoffs, the weather is usually a little cooler and the players are better conditioned.  The long bus ride becomes less of a factor, in my opinion, but it still can have an effect on the outcome of a game.   I know, I know, 'take care of business during the regular season' and you don't have to worry about long bus rides.   At least in theory.