Northwestern's Coach Suspended

OldSchoolLion

Miami Northwestern football coach Max Edwards has been suspended indefinitely while the school’s administration undergoes an investigation into alleged unauthorized football training during the coronavirus pandemic.

Northwestern athletic director Andre Williams confirmed to the Miami Herald on Saturday that there is an investigation but said could not comment further and that all information would be relayed through the Miami-Dade County Public Schools communications department.

MDCPS spokeswoman Daisy Gonzalez-Diego said in a statement that the school launched the investigation “as soon as it learned about this unauthorized athletic activity,”

“Further action may be taken against others who may have been involved in this unsanctioned event,” Gonzalez-Diego said. “The school is in the process of communicating with parents of students who may have participated.”

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, blystr2002 said:

About what most people could have assumed, he was reinstated by the end of June. Championships are too important.

This really lowers the bar. For some, it was cheat, but don't get caught. For Northwestern, it's cheat because if you get caught, there won't be a penalty. What message does this send to their opponents, and more importantly, to the kids on the Northwestern team? Their administration and coaching staff probably isn't even remorseful. Is this the norm for South Florida schools?

2 hours ago, HornetFan said:

This really lowers the bar. For some, it was cheat, but don't get caught. For Northwestern, it's cheat because if you get caught, there won't be a penalty. What message does this send to their opponents, and more importantly, to the kids on the Northwestern team? Their administration and coaching staff probably isn't even remorseful. Is this the norm for South Florida schools?

Honestly in that area, them holding practices whether it was wrong or not played a major role on whether or not students stayed safe or out of trouble. So it's like a double edged sword at the end of the day. 

2 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

Honestly in that area, them holding practices whether it was wrong or not played a major role on whether or not students stayed safe or out of trouble. So it's like a double edged sword at the end of the day. 

So, the ends justify the means? 

I understand your point.   The same can be said of kids throughout the state.  Honestly, I could be a little more sympathetic if they were just doing conditioning, but they were flat our practicing and running plays.   And we wonder why athletes (of all color) develop a mentality that they can break the rules, but that's OK because of how well they are able to use their God-given talents and hard work to play a particular sport. 

2 hours ago, 181pl said:

S. Fla. needs to get their shit together and start their season. 

This disease is bad for us old, fat phux. Young kids are good 99.95 %  of the time. Just wear masks and socially distance if you are kid who interacts with at risk people. And high risk people should be wearing masks in public. 

Broward is set to start practice Sept 21st. Chaminade and AHP starting their season sooner playing each other for their first game.

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

So, the ends justify the means? 

I understand your point.   The same can be said of kids throughout the state.  Honestly, I could be a little more sympathetic if they were just doing conditioning, but they were flat our practicing and running plays.   And we wonder why athletes (of all color) develop a mentality that they can break the rules, but that's OK because of how well they are able to use their God-given talents and hard work to play a particular sport. 

Either way it's a slippery slope. 

25 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

Either way it's a slippery slope. 

Either way, it's cheating and a blatant violation of the rules and the state and county directives regarding staying at home and social distancing. Then, the South Florida representatives have the nerve to show up at the FHSAA meetings and tell the rest of the state it shouldn't play until South Florida gets clearance. They probably never stopped practicing even after they were caught.

4 hours ago, 181pl said:

S. Fla. needs to get their shit together and start their season. 

This disease is bad for us old, fat phux. Young kids are good 99.95 %  of the time. Just wear masks and socially distance if you are kid who interacts with at risk people. And high risk people should be wearing masks in public. 

Or maybe everyone wears a mask, I've seen those photos from the Spanish flu and they had a season, because people back then did what was right for the common person

People these days (and I'm talking the adults more so in this case) are selfish and think they can do whatever they want and yell first amendment and censorship when they are told to wear a mask 

8 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

People these days (and I'm talking the adults more so in this case) are selfish and think they can do whatever they want and yell first amendment and censorship when they are told to wear a mask 

I wonder where people got the idea that not wearing a mask was the right thing to do?   (Uh, oh, did I just cross the line into politics??).  B)

1 minute ago, Perspective said:

I wonder where people got the idea that not wearing a mask was the right thing to do?   (Uh, oh, did I just cross the line into politics??).  B)

I would love to speak on the elephant in the room with that topic but I'm not gonna open that can of worms otherwise this thread would have to get a fast track to the OT section since ik I can't have an opinion like normal posters can :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Covid isn't relevant. Northwestern was conducting practice before it was authorized. Even if there was no covid it would still be a rules violation.

The question I wonder is if this was them getting caught how many other times have they done it and not got caught? Or Perhaps how many other teams are doing this and have been getting away with it 

4 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

The question I wonder is if this was them getting caught how many other times have they done it and not get caught? Or Perhaps how many other teams are doing this and have been getting away with it 

Some have a win at all costs mentally

1 minute ago, Hwy17 said:

Some have a win at all costs mentally

Which can be good or bad depending on where you draw the line 

There is a way to have that mindset but not cheat, for example someone with that mindset might say I'm gonna grab my teammates and do extra conditioning and training after practice or in a game they will risk their body to dive out for a game saving tackle 

But practicing out of season is blatantly against the rules and when the FHSAA chose to do nothing about it you have opened the door for others to do it but my question is say if a Suwannee or Columbia had done it would they have gotten off Scot free or did MNW get a pass because they are a state powerhouse

If so then it's a even bigger issue at play that programs are getting special treatment

9 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Which can be good or bad depending on where you draw the line 

There is a way to have that mindset but not cheat, for example someone with that mindset might say I'm gonna grab my teammates and do extra conditioning and training after practice or in a game they will risk their body to dive out for a game saving tackle 

But practicing out of season is blatantly against the rules and when the FHSAA chose to do nothing about it you have opened the door for others to do it but my question is say if a Suwannee or Columbia had done it would they have gotten off Scot free or did MNW get a pass because they are a state powerhouse

If so then it's a even bigger issue at play that programs are getting special treatment

Honestly, I feel like they may have gotten a pass due to sympathy/empathy for the kids in that community. Or possibly because the FHSAA knows S.Fla isn't going to be competing in the state series. When is the deadline for teams to opt in?

22 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

Honestly, I feel like they may have gotten a pass due to sympathy/empathy for the kids in that community. Or possibly because the FHSAA knows S.Fla isn't going to be competing in the state series. When is the deadline for teams to opt in?

I think mid September but I don't think you have to be playing by the date to opt in 

You just have to decide if your in or not

Guys, the FHSAA may actually have an out on this one . . . at least for the time being.    The way it's been explained to me, the FHSAA won't begin an investigation until a complaint/report has been filed.   The website has a procedure that someone can follow if they want to turn someone in, accuse a player of cheating or school of recruiting, etc.   And, the process can even be done anonymously (although they warn it may take considerably longer if done this way).   But, as I understand it, unless someone reports an alleged violation (or unless a school does what they call a "self-report"), the FHSAA doesn't do anything - regardless of what they might otherwise know.   

The coach of Northwestern, Max Edwards, apparently was suspended indefinitely by Miami-Dade County Public Schools.  A month and an Instagram apology later, Edwards supposedly was reinstated.   In short, it was Miami-Dade County, and not the FHSAA, that dished out the punishment (if you want to call a one-month suspension when no one could do anything a punishment).  To my knowledge, the FHSAA has not even opened a file on this.   If someone knows otherwise, please let us know.