Northwestern's Coach Suspended

OldSchoolLion

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I don't think masks is political but I do think some people make it that way so they can feel good defying the care and respect towards their fellow Americans because a mask is a inconvenience for them

I'm a firm believer in wearing masks, but it's hard to convince some people to wear them when they see thousands of people in the streets of our cities congregating, not wearing masks or social distancing, getting in people's faces, and it's condoned by people that are considered leaders of our country. Are these people not defying care and respect towards their fellow Americans? If we want to find a way out of this pandemic, every American has to comply with CDC guidelines or stay at home. I think all football fans would gladly wear a mask and social distance if it meant we could attend our favorite high school sports team's games in person. The fans have to play nice if the kids are going to be able to play.

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

The question I wonder is if this was them getting caught how many other times have they done it and not got caught? Or Perhaps how many other teams are doing this and have been getting away with it 

I believe Northwestern already proved they were practicing in violation of the rules. If they were at the stage of running plays, they were probably conditioning as a team for several weeks. I don't doubt other schools are just as guilty, but haven't yet been caught. Their time may come, but right now Northwestern should not be given a pass.

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Which can be good or bad depending on where you draw the line 

There is a way to have that mindset but not cheat, for example someone with that mindset might say I'm gonna grab my teammates and do extra conditioning and training after practice or in a game they will risk their body to dive out for a game saving tackle 

But practicing out of season is blatantly against the rules and when the FHSAA chose to do nothing about it you have opened the door for others to do it but my question is say if a Suwannee or Columbia had done it would they have gotten off Scot free or did MNW get a pass because they are a state powerhouse

If so then it's a even bigger issue at play that programs are getting special treatment

The line has already been drawn in the sand. Coaches cannot have supervised training sessions outside the approved times. The Northwestern coach knowingly violated the rules; he should be severely disciplined because he intentionally violated the rules and also exposed his kids to the virus in the worst hot spot in the state. He unnecessarily put the kids at risk.

2 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

Honestly, I feel like they may have gotten a pass due to sympathy/empathy for the kids in that community. Or possibly because the FHSAA knows S.Fla isn't going to be competing in the state series. When is the deadline for teams to opt in?

September 18th

22 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I'm a firm believer in wearing masks, but it's hard to convince some people to wear them when they see thousands of people in the streets of our cities congregating, not wearing masks or social distancing, getting in people's faces, and it's condoned by people that are considered leaders of our country. Are these people not defying care and respect towards their fellow Americans? If we want to find a way out of this pandemic, every American has to comply with CDC guidelines or stay at home. I think all football fans would gladly wear a mask and social distance if it meant we could attend our favorite high school sports team's games in person. The fans have to play nice if the kids are going to be able to play.

I think that most would but I can't say confidently all would because there will be people who still think it's a hoax and that wearing a mask infringes on their rights and they should be able to attend as normal without wearing masks and will throw a fit if they are told too 

Some people are that stubborn that they want all the normal of before but without the obvious problems in the way of that and not realizing that until there is a vaccine in place to help protect the at risk people and others we have to accept that masks will be necessary for the betterment of society

3 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I think that most would but I can't say confidently all would because there will be people who still think it's a hoax and that wearing a mask infringes on their rights and they should be able to attend as normal without wearing masks and will throw a fit if they are told too 

Some people are that stubborn that they want all the normal of before but without the obvious problems in the way of that and not realizing that until there is a vaccine in place to help protect the at risk people and others we have to accept that masks will be necessary for the betterment of society

I watched several high school games on TV this past week from states across the country (Alabama, Kansas, Tennessee, and North Dakota), and in almost all cases, fans were wearing masks and social distancing. The worst violators seemed to be the head coaches, most of whom wore them beneath their chin. In many cases, the players were even spread out on the sidelines practicing social distancing; some were wearing masks. There were some people not wearing masks, but I won't try to say what their reasons were.

6 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I watched several high school games on TV this past week from states across the country (Alabama, Kansas, Tennessee, and North Dakota), and in almost all cases, fans were wearing masks and social distancing. The worst violators seemed to be the head coaches, most of whom wore them beneath their chin. In many cases, the players were even spread out on the sidelines practicing social distancing; some were wearing masks. There were some people not wearing masks, but I won't try to say what their reasons were.

I do remember a game in Utah that the coach or atheltic director actually stopped the game because some in the stands weren't wearing a mask and forced them to put one on 

I just know how people in my county are, when the superintendent recommended masks be required in classrooms for the county a bunch of people immediately threatened to move their kids to attend school in Suwannee county and caved in to it, and many of these people are so called alumni but are scum in my eyes

Anyone willing to move their kids to a rival school over something like this when they are trying to protect the kids and the teachers don't deserve to call themselves an alumni of Columbia High School

5 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I do remember a game in Utah that the coach or atheltic director actually stopped the game because some in the stands weren't wearing a mask and forced them to put one on 

I just know how people in my county are, when the superintendent recommended masks be required in classrooms for the county a bunch of people immediately threatened to move their kids to attend school in Suwannee county and caved in to it, and many of these people are so called alumni but are scum in my eyes

Anyone willing to move their kids to a rival school over something like this when they are trying to protect the kids and the teachers don't deserve to call themselves an alumni of Columbia High School

We live in very different counties in the state of Florida. People in rural areas of the state are more likely to be resistant to wearing masks. A few of the more rural counties outside Orlando weren't impacted like Orange and Osceola counties (Orlando metro area); they had much fewer positive cases and few deaths in the surrounding counties. It's a shame everyone can't get together and approach this with a united front, but it just doesn't seem to work that way. As far as football is concerned, they have to cooperate to some extent because the schools cross county lines for their games. I just hope we can get beyond politics and have a great, healthy season.

On 9/2/2020 at 10:46 AM, KeemD321 said:

Broward is set to start practice Sept 21st. Chaminade and AHP starting their season sooner playing each other for their first game.

Broward is Conditioning the 21st in small pods.  No, inside weightrooms/classrooms and no footballs  Practices will start 2-3 weeks later if things go well.

Coaches in tri-county were told specifically they would be fired if they had any interaction with their players during shutdown.  Couldn't even hold organized zoom practices giving direction and watching them workout.  No meeting up to collect uniforms nothing.  This was a full practice and given a complete pass.  No matter what side your on with Covid it sets a bad precedent.

16 minutes ago, blystr2002 said:

Coaches in tri-county were told specifically they would be fired if they had any interaction with their players during shutdown.  Couldn't even hold organized zoom practices giving direction and watching them workout.  No meeting up to collect uniforms nothing.  This was a full practice and given a complete pass.  No matter what side your on with Covid it sets a bad precedent.

Bet If it was Miami Lakes or Miami Jackson it would have been an immediate termination

Northwestern got a free pass because they a powerhouse, same thing would have probably happened if it was Miami Central or STA

5 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Bet If it was Miami Lakes or Miami Jackson it would have been an immediate termination

Northwestern got a free pass because they a powerhouse, same thing would have probably happened if it was Miami Central or STA

If you want to send a powerful message, they should come down hard on the powerhouse program. Anything less is an embarrassment for the FHSAA. How about telling Dade County that you either severely discipline Northwestern or we ban them from FHSAA playoffs for next three years? That would get the attention of every head coach out there.

2 hours ago, HornetFan said:

If you want to send a powerful message, they should come down hard on the powerhouse program. Anything less is an embarrassment for the FHSAA. How about telling Dade County that you either severely discipline Northwestern or we ban them from FHSAA playoffs for next three years? That would get the attention of every head coach out there.

And then Dade would threaten to pull out and FHSAA will give in, unfortunately leadership is lacking in Florida at all levels

2 hours ago, HornetFan said:

That would be excessive. Punishment should always fit the offense.  Coach should be suspended for the season or something like that.

10 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

That would be excessive. Punishment should always fit the offense.  Coach should be suspended for the season or something like that.

Do you see them suspending him for a full season, or did they reinstate him already? It may seem excessive, but it would send a message.

11 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

And then Dade would threaten to pull out and FHSAA will give in, unfortunately leadership is lacking in Florida at all levels

If the FHSAA folds under pressure from South Florida, they don't deserve to have any authority over high school sports. It's also ridiculous that they allow Madison County to slither into 1A playoffs each year under the rural category. 

Just now, Perspective said:

From what I have read, he was initially "suspended indefinitely."  A month later, he was reinstated. 

All during the pandemic shut down; that's some suspension. That's like telling him he can't kiss his sister for a month. The FHSAA and the Dade County School Board should be embarrassed. 

15 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Do you see them suspending him for a full season, or did they reinstate him already? It may seem excessive, but it would send a message.

No, I saw that the coach was suspended then reinstated not long afterwards.  That's BS! I feel the coach should take full responsibility and be the one held accountable. The players do what they are told and for that reason I wouldn't ban Northwestern from the playoffs or require then to be penalized past this year.

In the mid-2000s Immokalee won the state championship. It was found out afterwards they had an ineligible player. Immokalee was banned from the playoffs the following season which they went undefeated. Many, including myself, felt the players were punished for something they had nothing to do with.

33 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

All during the pandemic shut down; that's some suspension. That's like telling him he can't kiss his sister for a month. The FHSAA and the Dade County School Board should be embarrassed. 

Hornet, I agree with you 100% that Miami-Dade Public Schools should be ashamed and embarrassed.   The FHSAA is a little trickier.   As I explained earlier, the FHSAA policy, as I understand it, is that they do not investigate a matter (player, coach and/or school) until someone files a formal complaint or the school self-reports the matter.   Complaints can be filed with the FHSAA (and can even be done anonymously) by  using the following link:  https://www.fhsaa.org/webform/fhsaa-allegation-form

If and when an investigation is opened and no action is taken, that's when you'll see me get upset. 

3 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Hornet, I agree with you 100% that Miami-Dade Public Schools should be ashamed and embarrassed.   The FHSAA is a little trickier.   As I explained earlier, the FHSAA policy, as I understand it, is that they do not investigate a matter (player, coach and/or school) until someone files a formal complaint or the school self-reports the matter.   Complaints can be filed with the FHSAA (and can even be done anonymously) by  using the following link:  https://www.fhsaa.org/webform/fhsaa-allegation-form

If and when an investigation is opened and no action is taken, that's when you'll see me get upset. 

So FHSAA won't act unless someone fills out a complaint form? Even if it makes the news? 

So who here wants to fill out the form?

14 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

So FHSAA won't act unless someone fills out a complaint form? Even if it makes the news? 

So who here wants to fill out the form?

If someone posts the form, I'll fill it out and submit it. I'm retired and just an average taxpayer, not affiliated with any school program. I just think high school sports and the FHSAA should be above board, especially when it comes to the health and welfare of the students. This coach knowingly violated the rules and he did it during the pandemic in the area of the state where the virus was at it's worst.

16 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

If someone posts the form, I'll fill it out and submit it. I'm retired and just an average taxpayer, not affiliated with any school program. I just think high school sports and the FHSAA should be above board, especially when it comes to the health and welfare of the students. This coach knowingly violated the rules and he did it during the pandemic in the area of the state where the virus was at it's worst.

It can be done online using the link in my post above. 

16 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

The link is in the above post