Large Class State Championships Moving from Daytona

Perspective

2 hours ago, MC Rockets said:

Tallahassee is too far north and west for South Florida schools. Champagnat had to do it last year, why can't the panhandle? It's a two way street. 

South Florida is fine with me cause my sister lives three miles from the NFL stadium. When the finals are played in Dade or Broward, it's an excuse to celebrate Christmas early!

5 hours ago, MC Rockets said:

Tallahassee is too far north and west for South Florida schools. Champagnat and Chaminade had to do it last year, why can't the panhandle? It's a two way street. 

You just made the argument for championship games being played in either Tampa, Orlando, or Daytona. Of the three central Florida locations, Orlando has the perfect combination of hotels, restaurants, highway access, and a new, perfect sized stadium. It also makes it possible for those fans that want to make the round trip in one day without overnight hotel costs to attend their kid's game..

14 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

You just made the argument for championship games being played in either Tampa, Orlando, or Daytona. Of the three central Florida locations, Orlando has the perfect combination of hotels, restaurants, highway access, and a new, perfect sized stadium. It also makes it possible for those fans that want to make the round trip in one day without overnight hotel costs to attend their kid's game..

I love Orlando! It should always be there in my opinion. 

16 minutes ago, MC Rockets said:

We are debating where these games should be, but we don't even know if fans will be allowed to attend games at all. Regular or post season. 

I'm thinking it will likely be limited capacity for most if not all the season (probably 50%)

Though for most schools in the state that probably won't even be a issue lol

1 minute ago, DarterBlue2 said:

About two hours from Orlando area, depending on the part of Jax, could be close to three. 

Ik but that's my point

Florida geography wise is very different from most states in how it's shaped but if we looked at overall Jacksonville would be the most centralized location for both ends of the state 

The problem is the only stadium I'm aware of that could hold state in Jacksonville is the jags stadium

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Ik but that's my point

Florida geography wise is very different from most states in how it's shaped but if we looked at overall Jacksonville would be the most centralized location for both ends of the state 

The problem is the only stadium I'm aware of that could hold state in Jacksonville is the jags stadium

It's a pity Bartram Trail's stadium would not be big enough. It's a nice place to watch a game. 

3 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I'm thinking it will likely be limited capacity for most of not all the season (probably 50%)

Though for most schools in the state that probably won't even be a issue lol

In South Florida it will be an issue for the big games. Those games on average tend to draw 5k-10k based on who's playing. 

Also another reason it shouldn't be in any of the SFL counties is those 3 counties are being hit the hardest by the virus and correct me if I'm wrong, all 3 counties are deemed hotspots atm

So we don't even know if those schools can open on time or even have a season so why would it make sense to put it on a end of state trying to get high fan numbers when there is no guarantee SFL will even have a season this year which is something I don't think has been truly considered yet 

I think they do but I wouldn't be shocked if they start a few weeks late 

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

It's a pity Bartram Trail's stadium would not be big enough. It's a nice place to watch a game. 

Bartram stadium is decent sized but is smaller than the one in Lake City

Jacksonville really should invest in a municipal stadium especially if they want to keep that Bold City showcase going long term 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If we want to get technical Jacksonville is probably best location

Approximately 6 hours to Jacksonville from Pensacola

Approximately 6 hours to Jacksonville from Miami 

But if you really, really want to get technical, south Florida extends another 2 hours past Miami to Key West.  :D

At some point, it also makes sense to look at the number of teams that come from a given geographic region.  Looking back at the past three years, 48 teams have made the state finals (2 teams in each of the 8 classifications over 3 years).  Yes, some of them were repeats.  That said, if my math and geography are as good as a 5th grader's, a total of 3 teams from towns/cities west of Tallahassee made the playoffs - Blountstown (twice), Escambia and Baker.   Compare that to the number of south Florida teams that made it over the same period; the exact number depends on exactly where you draw the "south Florida" line, but the number is at least 20. 

All that said, I'd support playing the championship games as far north as Gainesville and as far south as  the I-4 corridor from Tampa to Orlando. 

6 minutes ago, Perspective said:

But if you really, really want to get technical, south Florida extends another 2 hours past Miami to Key West.  :D

At some point, it also makes sense to look at the number of teams that come from a given geographic region.  Looking back at the past three years, 48 teams have made the state finals (2 teams in each of the 8 classifications over 3 years).  Yes, some of them were repeats.  That said, if my math and geography are as good as a 5th grader's, a total of 3 teams from towns/cities west of Tallahassee made the playoffs - Blountstown (twice), Escambia and Baker.   Compare that to the number of south Florida teams that made it over the same period; the exact number depends on exactly where you draw the "south Florida" line, but the number is at least 20. 

All that said, I'd support playing the championship games as far north as Gainesville and as far south as  the I-4 corridor from Tampa to Orlando. 

There's no guarantee that SFL could hold a state championship with those counties still being a hotspot area lol

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

I really don't understand why madison doesn't just host state for 1A they gonna be packed.

Stadium not big enough for a state game

Columbia has base seating of 7500 with room to bring in more bleachers and space on the endzone range of track

Madison holds what? 3k?

33 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Stadium not big enough for a state game

Columbia has base seating of 7500 with room to bring in more bleachers and space on the endzone range of track

Madison holds what? 3k?

That's all they need , whoever they play going home early.  

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

There's no guarantee that SFL could hold a state championship with those counties still being a hotspot area lol

Unless we're returning to a time when one of the two teams in the championship game hosts the game, I don't think any of the championship games should be played in south Florida.   That's just not fair to any school north of Gainesville.