Large Class State Championships Moving from Daytona

Perspective

2 hours ago, Cjm04 said:

Well if its like last year does it really make a difference, everyone winning is going to be south of Jupiter, lol.  JK, I actually like the I-4 Corridor as the location.

This year we may not have any of the SFL counties playing because all 3 SFL counties are Covid hotspots and as of their current state they wouldn't be able to open schools and no school, no football

9 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

This year we may not have any of the SFL counties playing because all 3 SFL counties are Covid hotspots and as of their current state they wouldn't be able to open schools and no school, no football

Columbia, you may very well prove to be correct.  However, I get the impression that when it comes to football, south Florida is like the SEC -- if there's any way in the world that they can play, they will.  

18 minutes ago, joeycash2004 said:

they should go to either IMG or that stadium where normally play the ESPN All American Game.. Its indoors so weather wont be a factor and its enough for social distancing

IMG stadium is very small became they only have seating on one side of the field 

I think it holds 5k maximum, not enough to hold a state title game 

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Columbia, you may very well prove to be correct.  However, I get the impression that when it comes to football, south Florida is like the SEC -- if there's any way in the world that they can play, they will.  

Perhaps but they can't afford to take chances with minors and potentially put them at risk because heaven forbid a student athlete dies because they rushed back 

Lawsuits at the school, FHSAA, county and state would follow

3 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

What do you think about Spec Martin stadium in Deland?  Seats approx 6000, which would be enough for most championship games.  Deland is not that far from Daytona.  

Too small for 8A. Also, if an Orlando area team from any classification makes the title game, too small. The same applies if Miami Northwestern makes the finals. 

13 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

What do you think about Spec Martin stadium in Deland?  Seats approx 6000, which would be enough for most championship games.  Deland is not that far from Daytona.  

As others have stated the Stadium is too small, and parking would be a huge issue. The Stadium is just about right in the middle of downtown Deland. There is a layered DOT garage just South of the Stadium, but even that wouldn't solve the parking issue of the larger class games.

1 hour ago, Jambun82 said:

As others have stated the Stadium is too small, and parking would be a huge issue. The Stadium is just about right in the middle of downtown Deland. There is a layered DOT garage just South of the Stadium, but even that wouldn't solve the parking issue of the larger class games.

Not true. Spec Martin Stadium was plenty big enough for a college football team to call it home. 

images.png

8 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Stadium is a great home stadium for regular season and most playoff games. Deland High has a real good deal with it as their home stadium. But it's just too small for the title games and parking is a real issue.

Thanks for the feed back.  I've never been to Spec Martin personally but knew Stetson University plays there.  When it comes to a centrally located stadium, there really isn't a lot to choose from.  Possibly could play in a minor league baseball stadium but then you have a football field overlaid on a baseball diamond and possibly bad seating depending how its laid out.  

Orlando City Stadium - the perfect fit and location for FHSAA State Football Championships. The 2019 Cure Bowl between Liberty and Georgia Southern was played in the Orlando City Soccer Stadium before 18,158 fans. 

Stadium Facts

• 25,500 - Capacity
  • 360° - Lower Bowl
  • 8,400 sq. ft. indoor Club
  • 10,000 sq. ft. open air Supporters’ Terrace
  • All natural grass playing surface
  • 100% privately financed
  • Canopy to enhance crowd noise and provide shelter from sun / rain
  • Field sunken 8' below ground level to offer spectacular views from street level
  • All natural grass playing surface
  • Single deck safe-standing supporter section
  • Expansive fan plaza spanning 10,000 square feet
2018StadiumMap_UpdatedFullColor-01.png

21 hours ago, Just A Coach said:

Not true. Spec Martin Stadium was plenty big enough for a college football team to call it home. 

images.png

Lol, I remember when that movie was being filmed in the stadium. There was a announcement in the newspaper asking for extras, and my friend and I talked about attending, but we never did.

1 hour ago, Jambun82 said:

Lol, I remember when that movie was being filmed in the stadium. There was a announcement in the newspaper asking for extras, and my friend and I talked about attending, but we never did.

Thats cool but dang you could have been one of the refs Bobby Boucher gave water to. 

hqdefault.jpg

18 hours ago, Just A Coach said:

Thats cool but dang you could have been one of the refs Bobby Boucher gave water to. 

hqdefault.jpg

That's Don Trawick.  Sill kicking at 83 and in charge of the Central Florida association.  I'm sure I cursed him out once or twice @Jambun82

Contest Official
Inducted 2011

Don Trawick has been a staple in Florida high school sports officiating for more than half of his life.

The 74-year-old Enterprise, Ala., native graduated from Enterprise High School as the captain of his football team in 1955 and went on to play football at Troy State University. He spent two years in college before joining the Marines. In 1959, he moved to Orlando where his lifelong love affair with sports officiating began.

Trawick started as a contest official for the Orange Baseball Association in 1961. In 1963, he joined the Central Florida Officials Association. Since then, he has officiated thousands of baseball and football games from middle school to high school state finals. He is considered one of the greatest teachers and mentors to officials that the state has known. He has trained high school umpires and mentored hundreds of collegiate and professional officials, including Roy Ellison, who was on the officiating crew at Super Bowl XLIII as the umpire.

As an assignor, Trawick is responsible for booking every high school baseball game in Central Florida for the last 20 years and has been the assignment officer for football the past eight years. He actively participates on the OBA and CFOA boards, the latter of which supervises the largest officials association in Florida. After being named the FHSAA Contributor of the Year in 2004, in 2008 he was inducted into the Central Florida Officials Association Hall of Fame as a member of its inaugural class.

Trawick's influence transcends generations of officials in two different sports, and his legacy in Florida high school sports officiating will continue for many years.

22 hours ago, Perspective said:

Hornet Fan, if the state championship does end up being played at Orlando City Stadium, and if you end up getting a commission on the deal, it will have been well-earned.  ;)   

Gotta admit, the venue would be perfect. No fan is too far from the field for a good view, and the seating is covered and protected from the weather. I'd take the commission, but I'm not holding my breath. I would definitely attend the games.

I can tell you all this:

1. Tallahassee will not absorb the 4A-8A games (at least not at Gene Cox).

2. That means IMG is not going to happen... FHSAA won't let that happen.

3. No high school school site is going to be used (Gene Cox is not an on-site school site)

4. Best options I see is Orlando City's Exploria Stadium (if they can agree), UCF, FAU or FIU... I don't see them going back to Camping World Stadium. Weekends wouldn't work given bowl games follow that very next weekend (if schedules hold up with COVID), but remember this will be a two-year deal.

5. Don't ever expect the FHSAA to entertain Daytona Beach again until they really improve things and come up with a better plan to handle it. They really thought they could do things like they did on a typical Friday night and it was very evident from what I saw first hand being there. I thought the crowds and games were great, but the scoreboard malfunctions, the lack of cell service and lack of wifi outside of the press box was a major buzz kill. The low quality of food that was served to the press by the host (this is not the FHSAA's call), was horrible. Very bad hot dogs from the concession stand and chips at most and most times they didn't even have enough for the press. FHSAA thought they had a nice site for 4A-8A and it just simply was too much for them to return because the issue weren't going to get fixed.