Who Is This Famous Central FL Coach? Keith DeMyer/Lake Gibson

OldSchoolLion

In over 20 years as a head coach, his teams won over 150 games.  Although he came very close, he never won a state title.  A certain other central FL team proved to be his nemesis in the playoffs.  In his first year as hc at one school, his team finished the regular season 8-2 and eventually made it to the state final.   

1. Who is the coach?

2. At what school(s) was he hc?

3. Who was that other team that proved to be his nemesis?

Bonus Questions: In that state playoff run mentioned above, his team nearly did not make it.  In the state semi, his team spotted the visitors 14 points in the first quarter and it looked like a blowout...until the visiting team imploded. 

4. Who was that visiting team?

5. Who was the qb on this hc's team that night?

9 minutes ago, Mr. 727 said:

Stab in the dark but i'll guess Rod Shafer?

For a stab in the dark that was a GREAT guess.  This is a tricky question because Rod Shafer meets the criteria of 150+ wins and no state titles.  But he did not make the state final in his first year as hc at Lake Wales(he made it in his 4th season).

1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I was there!  ...meltdown city.  Thank God ColumbiaFan was too young

3. Who was that other team that proved to be his(Demeyer's) nemesis?

5. Who was the qb on this hc's team that night they beat Columbia?

I was also there at that game standing on Lake Gibson's sideline.  I'll never forget Lake Gibson had this pep group that roamed the sideline not cheerleaders but guys with no shirts all painted up.  I guess Columbia had talked crap how Lake Gibson was too small and slow.  After Lake Gibson came back they started chanting We're too slow, We're too small, Hold my DICK.

9 minutes ago, badbird said:

I was also there at that game standing on Lake Gibson's sideline.  I'll never forget Lake Gibson had this pep group that roamed the sideline not cheerleaders but guys with no shirts all painted up.  I guess Columbia had talked crap how Lake Gibson was too small and slow.  After Lake Gibson came back they started chanting We're too slow, We're too small, Hold my DICK.

https://www.gainesville.com/article/LK/20031206/News/604168499/GS

435 yards of offense and got blowed out

36 minutes ago, badbird said:

I have vivid memories as well, badbird.  There was this little kid dressed up as a purple and yellow Tiger.  Am guessing he was about 4 years old.  He was roaming the Lake Gibson sideline taunting the LG fans, grabbing himself and going on about how they did not have a chance because he did not have them ranked in his preseason poll.  :D

22 minutes ago, badbird said:

Danny Green was one of my thoughts as the HC guess.  Didn't he lead Haines City to a state runner up in his first year?  However I knew he had way more than 150 wins and some from North Florida.  

He did...was only there two years, though.  He had over 250 career wins, all but about 20 of them in north FL.  

Hey, ColumbiaFan...just teezin u buddy.

Below is an all-classification poll from 2003 coming into the playoffs.    As you'll see, that was a pretty big upset (from a polling perspective) when LG beat Columbia in the semis.  Everyone expected to see Armwood and Columbia in the finals.

Rnk School Class W-L pts
1 Melbourne Palm Bay 5A 9-0 295
2 Madison County 2A 8-0-1 288
3 Miami Northwestern 6A 9-0 278
4 Daytona Beach Mainland 5A 8-0 262
5 Jacksonville Bolles 3A 8-0 238
6 Tallahassee Lincoln 4A 8-1 230
7 Lake City Columbia 4A 8-1 215
8 Pahokee 2B 9-0 206
9 Seffner Armwood 4A 9-0 203
10 Miami Edison 5A 8-1 180
11 Miami Carol City 6A 8-1 179
12 Sarasota Booker 3A 9-0 170
13 Belle Glade Glades Central 3A 9-0 152
14 Hollywood Chaminade Prep 2A 8-1 137

15 Pompano Beach Ely 6A 8-1 135
16 Jacksonville Trinity Chr. A 8-0 105
17 Orlando Edgewater 6A 7-2 102
18 Miami Southridge 6A 8-1 90
19 Palm Beach Gardens 6A 9-0 80
20 Lakeland Kathleen 3A 9-0 59
21 Green Cove Springs Clay 3A 8-1 55
22 Plantation 6A 8-1 54
23 Deerfield Beach 6A 8-1 37
24 Tampa Jefferson 3A 8-1 26
25 Naples 5A 8-1 19
25 Cross City Dixie County 2B 9-0 19

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES:
Port St. Lucie Centennial (4A, 9-0) 18; Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas (5A, 7-2) 14; Palatka (3A, 8-1) 13; Fort Myers (4A, 7-2) 7; Lakeland Lake Gibson (4A, 7-2) 6; Hollywood McArthur (5A, 8-1) 5; Delray Beach American Heritage (A, 10-0) 5; Jacksonville Raines (3A, 7-1) 5; Crawfordville Wakulla (2A, 8-1) 4; St. Augustine (3A, 6-2) 3; Cocoa (3A, 7-2) 2; Middleburg (3A, 6-3) 2; Live Oak Suwannee (3A, 6-3) 1; Miami Palmetto (6A, 7-1) 1.

Columbia has had plenty of opportunities to make deep runs but I doubt they will make it deep anytime soon in football, nobody up here is realizing the big picture 

They treat programs that have historically never been worth the crap on boots like they are the rivals on equal footing with us and many alumni have sold out the Columbia program because they rather split Columbia county 50/50 which will make it impossible for either football program to ever win anything significant

Even worse is that they don't even see the declining crowds and the lack of energy in the fanbase as a issue, to them it's fine 

I'm beyond fed up with how things have been operated and allowing a program who has won nothing like Lee to snatch 3 playoff wins in past 4 years has dragged the reputation of the Columbia program down dramatically, if it wasn't for there being so many interesting matchups on the schedule this year I wouldn't even go to any Columbia games this year 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Columbia has had plenty of opportunities to make deep runs but I doubt they will make it deep anytime soon in football, nobody up here is realizing the big picture 

They treat programs that have historically never been worth the crap on boots like they are the rivals on equal footing with us and many alumni have sold out the Columbia program because they rather split Columbia county 50/50 which will make it impossible for either football program to ever win anything significant

Even worse is that they don't even see the declining crowds and the lack of energy in the fanbase as a issue, to them it's fine 

I'm beyond fed up with how things have been operated and allowing a program who has won nothing like Lee to snatch 3 playoff wins in past 4 years has dragged the reputation of the Columbia program down dramatically, if it wasn't for there being so many interesting matchups on the schedule this year I wouldn't even go to any Columbia games this year 

In the 1980's, the north FL teams dominated and were very tough physically.  When Columbia came down to central FL in 2003, I expected a very physical team.  From what I vaguely remember, they had good speed but got pushed around by that LG team.   I believe they were pretty heavily favored and when they went out in front quickly I thought they would pull away.  Since I started watching them on the internet, I definitely see some big boys, but I don't see them consistently dominating in the trenches on both sides of the ball.