Apopka Trivia

OldSchoolLion

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Apopka once paid the #1-ranked 6A team in the state a regular season visit and came away with a dramatic victory capped by a halfback pass.  That snapped a 5-game losing streak to this team.

Who was the team Apopka defeated?

Who threw that TD pass?

Apopka defeated Edgewater at Edgewater with the halfback pass. Edgewater's O line averaged 300 lbs that year. 

I don't remember who threw the halfback pass, but I remember two Apopka receivers were wide open to receive it. Edgewater actually had the better of the game, but Apopka did a good job keeping them off the scoreboard. Darlington had recently returned to Apopka as HBC when this game took place. 

45 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Apopka defeated Edgewater at Edgewater with the halfback pass. Edgewater's O line averaged 300 lbs that year. 

I don't remember who threw the halfback pass, but I remember two Apopka receivers were wide open to receive it. Edgewater actually had the better of the game, but Apopka did a good job keeping them off the scoreboard. Darlington had recently returned to Apopka as HBC when this game took place. 

Very good, Darter.  It was 2006 and Apopka won 9-6.  Jeremy Gallon threw that TD pass.  He went on to become a great wr at Michigan.

Lake Brantley knocked Edgewater out of the playoffs that year and went on to the state finals.  Interestingly, Lake Brantley also beat Apopka that year during the regular season.

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Very good, Darter.  It was 2006 and Apopka won 9-6.  Jeremy Gallon threw that TD pass.  He went on to become a great wr at Michigan.

Lake Brantley knocked Edgewater out of the playoffs that year and went on to the state finals.  Interestingly, Lake Brantley also beat Apopka that year during the regular season.

Lake Brantley beat Apopka in the first or second game of the season. I believe the score was either 3-0 or 6-0. Apopka squandered a couple of scoring opportunities on a wet evening. The game was very close, and could have gone either way. LB eventually lost to the Northwestern Bulls 35-14. The game was actually close at the half 21-14. However, Lake Brantley fumbled the ball away early in the third quarter, and the Bulls capitalized and scored. The game was effectively over at that point. That Bulls team was one of the best high school teams I have ever seen. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Lake Brantley beat Apopka in the first or second game of the season. I believe the score was either 3-0 or 6-0. Apopka squandered a couple of scoring opportunities on a wet evening. The game was very close, and could have gone either way. LB eventually lost to the Northwestern Bulls 35-14. The game was actually close at the half 21-14. However, Lake Brantley fumbled the ball away early in the third quarter, and the Bulls capitalized and scored. The game was effectively over at that point. That Bulls team was one of the best high school teams I have ever seen. 

Thanks, Darter.  

14 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

It was 2006 and Apopka won 9-6.  Jeremy Gallon threw that TD pass.  He went on to become a great wr at Michigan.

I remember now. Gallon was starting for the first time at Apopka that year and played mostly running back. Andy Summerlin was the regular Quarterback. The following year, Gallon took most of the snaps. And, yes, he went on to star at Michigan and if he had been about three inches taller, would probably have starred in the NFL as well. Gallon was an exceptional athlete. But due to his size, I always felt he would have been an even better soccer player had he been introduced to that sport. He was built quit a bit like Diego Maradonna the star forward from Argentina. 

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I remember now. Gallon was starting for the first time at Apopka that year and played mostly running back. Andy Summerlin was the regular Quarterback. The following year, Gallon took most of the snaps. And, yes, he went on to star at Michigan and if he had been about three inches taller, would probably have starred in the NFL as well. Gallon was an exceptional athlete. But due to his size, I always felt he would have been an even better soccer player had he been introduced to that sport. He was built quit a bit like Diego Maradonna the star forward from Argentina. 

It's a shame that players like that often cannot succeed at the professional level.  Our sport has become somewhat limiting.  

Was Lake Brantley a district runner up that season that they lost to NW in the state title game? I don't recall if it was the same year, but I remember in the first round of the playoffs, Lake Brantley putting a running clock on Deland at Spec Martin Stadium. I was thinking if the Patriots were the runners up in the district, I would have loved to see the district champion.

37 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

Was Lake Brantley a district runner up that season that they lost to NW in the state title game? I don't recall if it was the same year, but I remember in the first round of the playoffs, Lake Brantley putting a running clock on Deland at Spec Martin Stadium. I was thinking if the Patriots were the runners up in the district, I would have loved to see the district champion.

Lake Brantley was a runner up that year.  They got upset at home by Oviedo 23-20.  That was there only loss until the state finals.  They blasted Deland 43-0 that year in the first round.  Then beat Edgewater, Sandalwood and Boone by 3 each in the next 3 rounds.  

22 hours ago, badbird said:

Lake Brantley was a runner up that year.  They got upset at home by Oviedo 23-20.  That was there only loss until the state finals.  They blasted Deland 43-0 that year in the first round.  Then beat Edgewater, Sandalwood and Boone by 3 each in the next 3 rounds.  

Thank you.

22 hours ago, badbird said:

It's amazing how Sandalwood blows so much talent and rarely makes a deep run 

On 6/23/2020 at 10:30 PM, Jambun82 said:

They were the district champions if my memory serves me correctly. But if they traveled to Deland for the first round, that does not make much sense. 

NM - Badbird got it right. I forgot about the Oviedo loss which was a huge upset. 

50 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It's amazing how Sandalwood blows so much talent and rarely makes a deep run 

Sandalwood eliminated Apopka in the second round that year coming from behind to win in the fourth quarter. Then the next week Lake Brantley beat them at Lake Brantley in a game where I thought the score did not reflect the actual run of play. I felt Brantley was at least 10 points better than that Sandalwood team on that night.