Who Is This Team? Boone

OldSchoolLion

4 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

This team played in 3 straight state semis, all of which were decided in the final 2 minutes of each game, all of which were decided by less than a touchdown, and all of which came down to the need for a defensive stop.    

Who was the team?

Who was their coach?

Not sure who the team was but if they lost all 3... ouch. I was involved in two straight semi final losses that was decided by a TD and a game winning FG. The third year we finally punched our ticket to the finals. But those two losses are still the games that I replay the most. 

13 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

This team played in 3 straight state semis, all of which were decided in the final 2 minutes of each game, all of which were decided by less than a touchdown, and all of which came down to the need for a defensive stop.    

Who was the team?

Who was their coach?

Boone High School?

Phil Ziglar (Sp)?

2006, lost to Lake Brantley in one of the most exciting games I ever saw; 2007, beat Apopka in a heart breaker (if we had a kicker that year it would have gone to Overtime); 2008, lost to Seminole High when Seminole drove the length of the field to retake the lead in the final minute of the game.  

7 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Boone High School?

Phil Ziglar (Sp)?

2006, lost to Lake Brantley in one of the most exciting games I ever saw; 2007, beat Apopka in a heart breaker (if we had a kicker that year it would have gone to Overtime); 2008, lost to Seminole High when Seminole drove the length of the field to retake the lead in the final minute of the game.  

Glad you got that one, Darter:).  It is Boone, who was coached by Phil Ziglar at the time.  I guess one could call Boone a 3-hit wonder, because they have not done much in football outside those years.  Interesting to think a team could play in 3 state semis and never had to travel much more than 30 or so minutes. 

Am sure you remember that Seminole team was led by Ray Ray Armstrong.  And Jeremy Gallon, a guy we spoke about not too long ago in another post, was the Apopka qb.  And Pat Dimarco, a future NFL player, caught the winning catch for Lake Brantley.  

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Glad you got that one, Darter:).  It is Boone, who was coached by Phil Ziglar at the time.  I guess one could call Boone a 3-hit wonder, because they have not done much in football outside those years.  Interesting to think a team could play in 3 state semis and never had to travel much more than 30 or so minutes

Am sure you remember that Seminole team was led by Ray Ray Armstrong.  And Jeremy Gallon, a guy we spoke about not too long ago in another post, was the Apopka qb.  And Pat Dimarco, a future NFL player, caught the winning catch for Lake Brantley.  

Actually, on one of the three runs, Boone traveled to Sarasota, Palm Beach County, and Palm Beach county again to get to the semifinal against Lake Brantley (which relatively speaking was a home game). I believe it was the first run in 2006 when they went 6/4 in the regular season before getting hot in the playoffs. 

That Boone team 2006-2008 was blessed with its best overall sophomore class of all time. It took them some time to get their act together in 2006 but came of age in the playoffs and showed they were no fluke in 2007 and 2008. Boone has always been very well coached. Many of the assistants who are Ziglar alumni, have done fine coaching in the area, specifically at Timber Creek High. If Ziglar had had the talent at his disposal of a Darlington, Gierke or others, he would have been blessed with many, many deep playoff runs. A mark of his success is that back in the early 2000s he had the third highest number of former Boone players in the NFL (exceeded only by Evans and Apopka alumni) despite the fact Boone up to that time had never had a deep playoff run.

Yes, of course I remember Ray Ray, Gallon and DiMarco, all in their own right, Central Florida legends!

13 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Actually, on one of the three runs, Boone traveled to Sarasota, Palm Beach County, and Palm Beach county again to get to the semifinal against Lake Brantley (which relatively speaking was a home game). I believe it was the first run in 2006 when they went 6/4 in the regular season before getting hot in the playoffs. 

That Boone team 2006-2008 was blessed with its best overall sophomore class of all time. It took them some time to get their act together in 2006 but came of age in the playoffs and showed they were no fluke in 2007 and 2008. Boone has always been very well coached. Many of the assistants who are Ziglar alumni, have done fine coaching in the area, specifically at Timber Creek High. If Ziglar had had the talent at his disposal of a Darlington, Gierke or others, he would have been blessed with many, many deep playoff runs. A mark of his success is that back in the early 2000s he had the third highest number of former Boone players in the NFL (exceeded only by Evans and Apopka alumni) despite the fact Boone up to that time had never had a deep playoff run.

Yes, of course I remember Ray Ray, Gallon and DiMarco, all in their own right, Central Florida legends!

Nice to see Boone had a good season a few years ago.  They gave Wekiva all they could handle in the playoffs.  Moving forward, maybe they will be one of those teams who puts together a contender every few years.   

4 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Glad you got that one, Darter:).  It is Boone, who was coached by Phil Ziglar at the time.  I guess one could call Boone a 3-hit wonder, because they have not done much in football outside those years.  Interesting to think a team could play in 3 state semis and never had to travel much more than 30 or so minutes. 

I heard nothing but good things about Coach Phil Ziglar. He was known as a great Coach, but also a first-class human being. He treated everyone, even officials, with the utmost respect.

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Nice to see Boone had a good season a few years ago.  They gave Wekiva all they could handle in the playoffs.  Moving forward, maybe they will be one of those teams who puts together a contender every few years.   

Boone is surrounded by significant football talent just outside its zoning border to the northwest (Jones kids), to the immediate north, some kids zoned for Edgewater, and, to a lesser extent, to its south, Oak Ridge zoned kids, most of whom now chose to go to Jones due to William's success at Jones. If Boone actively encouraged transfers (I probably did not say this delicately enough), and could pick up three to five of the more talented kids from nearby, they could be a deep playoff contender most years. 

Playing with just what they have within the zone, the best the school could hope for is, as you suggested, a run every four or five years at best. In a sense it is unfortunate. It is a very nice place to take in a game, and the fan base turns out in droves when the team is decent. The Northwestern/Boone state title game drew one of the all time best crowds for a state title game. Boone's contribution to the crowd was probably at least 50% and you know the Bulls travels with largest south Florida crowd. 

33 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Boone is surrounded by significant football talent just outside its zoning border to the northwest (Jones kids), to the immediate north, some kids zoned for Edgewater, and, to a lesser extent, to its south, Oak Ridge zoned kids, most of whom now chose to go to Jones due to William's success at Jones. If Boone actively encouraged transfers (I probably did not say this delicately enough), and could pick up three to five of the more talented kids from nearby, they could be a deep playoff contender most years. 

Playing with just what they have within the zone, the best the school could hope for is, as you suggested, a run every four or five years at best. In a sense it is unfortunate. It is a very nice place to take in a game, and the fan base turns out in droves when the team is decent. The Northwestern/Boone state title game drew one of the all time best crowds for a state title game. Boone's contribution to the crowd was probably at least 50% and you know the Bulls travels with largest south Florida crowd. 

DarterBlue, do you think that Apopka could have given NW a more competitive result than Boone did in that 2007 title game?

19 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

DarterBlue, do you think that Apopka could have given NW a more competitive result than Boone did in that 2007 title game?

Yes, I say this because Lake Brantley did the year before. My thoughts have nothing to do with the talent or fundamental coaching of the two teams. It has to do with three things.

Northwestern does not see single wing or for that matter triple option football down in south Florida. That right there would have been a touchdown in Apopka's favor. Also, on a team, not individual player basis, Apopka had more speed than Boone. The two Jeremy's Gallon and Wright, would have been good for at least an additional touchdown. Also, while I think from an X and O standpoint that Coach Z was probably Darlington's equal, I do think that when it came to trick plays, Darlington was a master. So, I would credit Apopka with a third touchdown.

At the end of the day, MNW would still have won as they just had too much talent and from that perspective were probably the best team in the country. I think a final score in MNW vs Apopka hypothetical match up that year would have been something like:

MNW 42 Apopka 21. Apopka's secondary would have had a lot of trouble defending Tommy Streeter and Aldarius Johnson. 

21 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Yes, I say this because Lake Brantley did the year before. My thoughts have nothing to do with the talent or fundamental coaching of the two teams. It has to do with three things.

Northwestern does not see single wing or for that matter triple option football down in south Florida. That right there would have been a touchdown in Apopka's favor. Also, on a team, not individual player basis, Apopka had more speed than Boone. The two Jeremy's Gallon and Wright, would have been good for at least an additional touchdown. Also, while I think from an X and O standpoint that Coach Z was probably Darlington's equal, I do think that when it came to trick plays, Darlington was a master. So, I would credit Apopka with a third touchdown.

At the end of the day, MNW would still have won as they just had too much talent and from that perspective were probably the best team in the country. I think a final score in MNW vs Apopka hypothetical match up that year would have been something like:

MNW 42 Apopka 21. Apopka's secondary would have had a lot of trouble defending Tommy Streeter and Aldarius Johnson. 

Great analysis.