Classic Games of the State Finals -Evans vs Southridge

OldSchoolLion

In one of the more dramatic finishes of the state finals, a team trailing in the fourth quarter went on a grinding 8-minute drive that involved 17 running plays, including three, fourth down conversions.  One of those was a 4th and goal with 14 seconds remaining. 

Who were the teams playing in that game?

5 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

In one of the more dramatic finishes of the state finals, a team trailing in the fourth quarter went on a grinding 8-minute drive that involved 17 running plays, including three, fourth down conversions.  One of those was a 4th and goal with 14 seconds remaining. 

Was it Miami Southridge over Dr Phillips in 2016?

2 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Yeah, but we did not win a state championship that way. Besides which, most APK drives don't last 17 plays as there is usually a big 40 yard pickup on one of the plays!

I had the honor of seeing Apopka offense twice in action and those runs are tough to defend because you basically having to watch everyone because you won't know who will get the ball until they a few yards past the line of scrimmage

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I had the honor of seeing Apopka offense twice in action and those runs are tough to defend because you basically having to watch everyone because you won't know who will get the ball until they a few yards past the line of scrimmage

They're a tricky bunch.   I'm pretty sure that use more than one football on some of their plays.   B)

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 6:46 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

OldSchoolLion, you never claimed that the team that went on the long drive won the game  Are you referring to the 1991 state title game between Southridge and Evans that finished up tied at 22-22 I believe?

6 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Jambun got it!!!!  It was the historic 1991 5A final between Southridge and Orlando Evans, which ended in a 22-22 tie.  I'll be doing a separate post about the game.     

Yes, and if I am not mistaken, the team that completed the drive missed the try to take the lead. They were trailing 22-16 when the drive started.

24 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

OldSchoolLion, you never claimed that the team that went on the long drive won the game  Are you referring to the 1991 state title game between Southridge and Evans that finished up tied at 22-22 I believe?

You mean to tell me even as late as 1991 they didn't have OT for a state championship?

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

You mean to tell me even as late as 1991 they didn't have OT for a state championship?

The FHSAA changed the rules after this game. I had just moved to the Orlando area the year before, and the grandson of a lady I stayed with for the first three months I was in the area, was a backup on that Evans team. 

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Wow 

The NFL had it back in 1958 for championship contests and while I can't remember when it expanded out further I'm surprised that high school and college football waited so long to adopt OT 

Do you remember my story about the old "penetration" rule for settling playoff games?