Menendez New Coach

gatorman-uf

I normally just post a coaching change in the pinned topic, but this seems bigger than normal

Kenny Sanchez of Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas) will be new Pedro Menendez coach. I am surprised a school like Menendez able to pull a coach like Sanchez so late in the process. Especially since he resigned from Bishop Gorman in January. 

https://www.staugustine.com/sports/20200625/menendez-football-names-two-time-national-champion-kenny-sanchez-head-coach

Just now, gatorman-uf said:

I normally just post a coaching change in the pinned topic, but this seems bigger than normal

Kenny Sanchez of Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas) will be new Pedro Menendez coach. I am surprised a school like Menendez able to pull a coach like Sanchez so late in the process. Especially since he resigned from Bishop Gorman in January. 

https://www.staugustine.com/sports/20200625/menendez-football-names-two-time-national-champion-kenny-sanchez-head-coach

I didn't even know menendez had a head coaching opening but this is certainly interesting

Will be curious to see if the studs in Northeast FL flock over there because of his proven track record of success over at Bishop Gorman

5 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I didn't even know menendez had a head coaching opening but this is certainly interesting

Will be curious to see if the studs in Northeast FL flock over there because of his proven track record of success over at Bishop Gorman

No chance of that. They are too far south. I have friends who live 20 minutes south of Bartram Trail and still 20 minutes north of Menendez. 

However, he will draw kids from St Augustine and Palatka. And if he’s a great coach, that will be enough to compete for a state title.

Like I said before, Coaching is overrated. It is his job to put these kids in the best possible position to be successfull on friday nights. Its the kids choice to bye in to what is being preached. Not so much about X's and O's and more about the kids heart. A coach led team wins games. A players led team wins championships. 

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, bc I don't. But he also coached at a private school and got a massive amount of talent from Nevada and California and dominated a state that isn't a football power. I would have been interested to see how they did in any of those Southern California districts. They were able to beat some elite out-of-state teams, don't get me wrong, but I think he may be a tad overrated based on the state he was in. 

However, I wish him the best of luck at Menendez, and they certainly made a splash hire, especially this late in the process.

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Jimmy's and Joes.  

Dang right. Also, coaches are responsible for creating an evironment that goes beyond football. When I say coaching is overrated, I am referring more towards X's and O's and winning championships. I have seen so many great coaches go unnoticed because they have never won the big one or even made deep playoff runs. I have also seen below par coaching staffs win a state title because of superior athletes and not much discipline or accountability. 

56 minutes ago, DB4 said:

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, bc I don't. But he also coached at a private school and got a massive amount of talent from Nevada and California and dominated a state that isn't a football power. I would have been interested to see how they did in any of those Southern California districts. They were able to beat some elite out-of-state teams, don't get me wrong, but I think he may be a tad overrated based on the state he was in. 

However, I wish him the best of luck at Menendez, and they certainly made a splash hire, especially this late in the process.

I have watched Bishop Gorman win a ton of out of state games. They also have a great coaching staff and one hell of a facility. The strenght program there was top notch as well. To go along with all that they had great athletes year in and year out. Now in contrast, Menendez doesn't even scratch the surface of the traits from Gorman. But if the new coaching staffs mind set is about developing great young men then its a great hire and the athletes and the wins will come.