Michigan Thinks of moving Football to Spring

gatorman-uf

Interesting thought... I don't think Florida will do this because our Governor and State Legislature are in denial. (I will admit I was probably too optimistic about where our country would be come August/September). But it is at least an interesting thought process. Honestly, I love the idea, a sports like baseball and softball moved to Fall and football in Spring for one year. Girls Volleyball moved to Spring as well and re-evaluate come November as wrestling, soccer, and basketball start. Maybe, even cross country in Winter. 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/06/30/gretchen-whitmer-mhsaa-should-consider-moving-football-spring/5349746002/

2 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Interesting thought... I don't think Florida will do this because our Governor and State Legislature are in denial. (I will admit I was probably too optimistic about where our country would be come August/September). But it is at least an interesting thought process. Honestly, I love the idea, a sports like baseball and softball moved to Fall and football in Spring for one year. Girls Volleyball moved to Spring as well and re-evaluate come November as wrestling, soccer, and basketball start. Maybe, even cross country in Winter. 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/06/30/gretchen-whitmer-mhsaa-should-consider-moving-football-spring/5349746002/

We talk about off-season but how exactly do we expect to have the spring sports go finalize all their schedules in what? A month on top of start training for high school games when in case of baseball/softball they still have players playing travel ball 

This idea would be a good one, had FL decided on it at beginning of June, it's too late in the process to do this and honestly I can't help but feel this idea in general is being made because they really don't care of another class of spring athletes get screwed over like the last class did just to get the only sport many people out there care about a opportunity to play 

I'm certainly not gonna back the idea of sacrificing another spring season just to "have a chance" of football in the spring  because I don't value the athletes of one sport being more important than another because all these athletes work their ass off and I can't sit there and devalue what these athletes put in that I would be okay with another group of seniors being tossed aside for a single sport because let's be real, they aren't considering this idea to save volleyball or golf, it's only to save the big money maker football

1) I disagree that if you told baseball and softball coaches today to make a schedule for games to be ready for late August and early September that they couldn't do it. Most of the schools are playing the same schools they always play anyway. Most of these schools have fall ball, no real difference, except it becomes official. Teachers were given a week to turn their classrooms inside out and adjust to distance learning and did so. I think coaches can do the same thing. 

2) Players would be ready to go for the very reason you suggested. They are already doing travel ball.

3) I don't think it is about putting football first (football coaches would flip over this because players would have lost Senior year to showcase their talents to colleges). I think the idea is about safety, sports like football, wrestling, soccer, and basketball are high contact sports. Spread of coronavirus would be faster among them then a sport that is played outside and there is social distancing like baseball and softball. Sports like Track and Field, Golf, Tennis are outside sports and generally sparsely populated. All of the things that you want when we talk about stopping the spread of this. 

Again, I don't think it will happen because there is no leadership from FHSAA or our State government to make it happen. Even Michigan isn't necessarily doing it, but they are at least discussing it. 

9 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

1) I disagree that if you told baseball and softball coaches today to make a schedule for games to be ready for late August and early September that they couldn't do it. Most of the schools are playing the same schools they always play anyway. Most of these schools have fall ball, no real difference, except it becomes official. Teachers were given a week to turn their classrooms inside out and adjust to distance learning and did so. I think coaches can do the same thing. 

2) Players would be ready to go for the very reason you suggested. They are already doing travel ball.

3) I don't think it is about putting football first (football coaches would flip over this because players would have lost Senior year to showcase their talents to colleges). I think the idea is about safety, sports like football, wrestling, soccer, and basketball are high contact sports. Spread of coronavirus would be faster among them then a sport that is played outside and there is social distancing like baseball and softball. Sports like Track and Field, Golf, Tennis are outside sports and generally sparsely populated. All of the things that you want when we talk about stopping the spread of this. 

Again, I don't think it will happen because there is no leadership from FHSAA or our State government to make it happen. Even Michigan isn't necessarily doing it, but they are at least discussing it. 

If they were gonna do it then it should have been discussed a lot sooner, even if it could be done it's very late in the process and no guarantee they even could have the season so you are essentially saying you would rather have another group of seniors for the spring seasons to be cheated out of their final year and an opportunity to get to college just for a chance for football to "maybe" have a season in the spring 

And ik that they wouldn't like having their kids senior years taken from them, how you think those coaches from spring sports felt? And this idea puts a situation out there of potentially taking a second class of seniors and taking that season away. I would be more behind the idea of just leaving fall season blank and double up in the spring, may hurt spring sports attendance but at least both would have a good shot of having a season

Again, I disagree that the baseball/softball players would have their season taken from them. How long do you think it takes to make a schedule? I mean seriously 10-15 phone calls/emails and you are done. It really is not that hard. So your concerns about them losing their season are invalid. And if anything, if they started in Fall, realized the risk was too large, you could still move it to Spring with no problems.

54 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Again, I disagree that the baseball/softball players would have their season taken from them. How long do you think it takes to make a schedule? I mean seriously 10-15 phone calls/emails and you are done. It really is not that hard. So your concerns about them losing their season are invalid. And if anything, if they started in Fall, realized the risk was too large, you could still move it to Spring with no problems.

Out of curiosity have you ever spoken to coaches regarding their schedules before, not being disrespectful I'm asking honestly

I can't imagine a scenario where 10-15 phone calls alone fills the schedule because for every team you get you may have to call 2-3 teams to get that game because several will turn you down 

52 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Out of curiosity have you ever spoken to coaches regarding their schedules before, not being disrespectful I'm asking honestly

I can't imagine a scenario where 10-15 phone calls alone fills the schedule because for every team you get you may have to call 2-3 teams to get that game because several will turn you down 

I walked into a situation with nothing but a district schedule (about 8-10 games) completed with about 6 weeks left to fill it and most teams having mostly completed theirs. So yes, I know what it takes. I started with in-county and local teams, expanded to teams further away, was willing to play on odd days to get them here. And remember, every coach would be looking for games in this scenario. 

Speaking of which did they re-district Columbia's softball region (Englewood, Gainesville, Middleburg, Ponte Vedra, Robert E Lee, St. Augustine)? I thought the district was geared more towards Ocala.

Columbiafan please don't underestimate the resolve of these coaches and athletes. Gatorman I agree with what your saying as well. I had my doubts about how these kids would react once we got back to workouts a few weeks ago. As a staff we expected maybe 20 kids would show up with all of their paperwork completed (physical, covid agreement, and participation form) for workouts. We expected that number because we usually have a physical night at the school in march or april but obviously that couldn't happen this year. Everyone of our kids physicals had expired and we knew that it would take some time to get those things completed by the parents. Our first day we had 65 kids turn in their completed paperwork. Crazy! I am convinced that we can make happen whatever needs to happen and overcome obstacles that can get in the way. Our kids and parents are working hard to overcome these adverse situations. I tell our players all the time that life is full of adjustments. 

39 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

I walked into a situation with nothing but a district schedule (about 8-10 games) completed with about 6 weeks left to fill it and most teams having mostly completed theirs. So yes, I know what it takes. I started with in-county and local teams, expanded to teams further away, was willing to play on odd days to get them here. And remember, every coach would be looking for games in this scenario. 

Speaking of which did they re-district Columbia's softball region (Englewood, Gainesville, Middleburg, Ponte Vedra, Robert E Lee, St. Augustine)? I thought the district was geared more towards Ocala.

Yeah they did 

I honestly not sure what led to that weird district setup but last year we couldn't even schedule any of them during the season, not sure exactly why but hopefully they can play some this season

24 minutes ago, Just A Coach said:

Columbiafan please don't underestimate the resolve of these coaches and athletes. Gatorman I agree with what your saying as well. I had my doubts about how these kids would react once we got back to workouts a few weeks ago. As a staff we expected maybe 20 kids would show up with all of their paperwork completed (physical, covid agreement, and participation form) for workouts. We expected that number because we usually have a physical night at the school in march or april but obviously that couldn't happen this year. Everyone of our kids physicals had expired and we knew that it would take some time to get those things completed by the parents. Our first day we had 65 kids turn in their completed paperwork. Crazy! I am convinced that we can make happen whatever needs to happen and overcome obstacles that can get in the way. Our kids and parents are working hard to overcome these adverse situations. I tell our players all the time that life is full of adjustments. 

I'm not I just seen how hard it is at Columbia to find games 

Fort White is only team in the county besides us and I think volleyball was only sport who we have been able to get them scheduled on a regular basis, baseball hasn't played since Fort White acted like sore losers and tried to get dirty and start a fight while losing by 11 or so runs about 3 innings in back in 2016

It's hard to find games Even in spring, and football it's even harder because the local teams won't play Columbia

They probably could fill the schedule but I doubt It would come easy 

13 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

How did sports do this past Spring? They were all cancelled. If it's OK for tens of thousands of protesters to jam the streets of major cities with no social distancing and no face mask requirement, it should be possible for schools to hold football games out in the fresh air, even if it means few or no fans are allowed to attend. Games are taped and copies of such videos could be offered for sale to fans as a means of raising revenue for the schools and their athletic programs. If our Governor and State Legislature is in denial, the ultra-liberal Governor of Michigan is not the one we should be looking to for guidance. Opening bars and clubs, and allowing large protests was an open invitation to young adults to act like like idiots, and they responded as expected. The bars and pubs are now closed and should remain closed.  Protest shouls be restricted in size and CDC guidelines should be enforced, just as they should at football games this Fall.

This may just be me but why are they making this harder then it needs to be, if it’s all about safety why not test the team test the coaches,band members & cheerleaders & at the entrance before game time only allow fans in on both sides who have a mask? Since they say as long as if everyone has on a mask everyone is okay “shrugs shoulders”

police supervision are already present at these football games so as they are patrolling the stands to make sure no fights or anything are taking place they can also ensure mask are being worn. 

4 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

This may just be me but why are they making this harder then it needs to be, if it’s all about safety why not test the team test the coaches,band members & cheerleaders & at the entrance before game time only allow fans in on both sides who have a mask? Since they say as long as if everyone has on a mask everyone is okay “shrugs shoulders”

police supervision are already present at these football games so as they are patrolling the stands to make sure no fights or anything are taking place they can also ensure mask are being worn. 

so how much will it cost to test every one every game?  

2 hours ago, HornetFan said:

How did sports do this past Spring? They were all cancelled. If it's OK for tens of thousands of protesters to jam the streets of major cities with no social distancing and no face mask requirement, it should be possible for schools to hold football games out in the fresh air, even if it means few or no fans are allowed to attend. Games are taped and copies of such videos could be offered for sale to fans as a means of raising revenue for the schools and their athletic programs. If our Governor and State Legislature is in denial, the ultra-liberal Governor of Michigan is not the one we should be looking to for guidance. Opening bars and clubs, and allowing large protests was an open invitation to young adults to act like like idiots, and they responded as expected. The bars and pubs are now closed and should remain closed.  Protest shouls be restricted in size and CDC guidelines should be enforced, just as they should at football games this Fall.

The cancelling of school/sports in Spring was proactive. A move that generally should be applauded by all. As one meme out there put it, "We have to take necessary steps before they seem necessary. And if it works, people will think we over-reacted. We have to be willing to look like we overreacted." 

As for your indictment of protests as the leading reason for the increase, if so we would be seeing the spikes in places like Minneapolis, NYC, D.C, Chicago, but we aren't. We are seeing it Texas, Florida, and Arizona, states that opened the bars/stores early. If I am being completely fair, there is some evidence to suggest that the reason these states are increasing is because people don't want to be out in the heat and instead inside in the Air Conditioning where it is easier to spread.  

You can't limit protests, there is no admissions gate; there is no entrance. Most protesters (while not following social distancing) did seem to be wearing masks. 

My worry for sports isn't necessarily the fans/bands/cheerleaders (they wouldn't barred from games), it is the players themselves. When you are 2 inches from someone, it is harder to not breathe, sweat, etc. on them, 

2 hours ago, badbird said:

so how much will it cost to test every one every game?  

My fault on the lack of punctuation in that sentence, I wasn’t insisting to test them before every game I was saying to test the team band cheerleaders & caches prior to the first game. And if and when everything is clear that’s when you can move forward with officially kicking off the first game. 

and the rest follows as I was saying about the fans and the mask and etc. Florida has the funding to test them once to make sure they are in the clear to play/perform. 

1 hour ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

My fault on the lack of punctuation in that sentence, I wasn’t insisting to test them before every game I was saying to test the team band cheerleaders & caches prior to the first game. And if and when everything is clear that’s when you can move forward with officially kicking off the first game. 

and the rest follows as I was saying about the fans and the mask and etc. Florida has the funding to test them once to make sure they are in the clear to play/perform. 

The only thing that could reasonably be done prior to game would be to temperature check all participants (players, coaches, refs, chain gangs, etc.) as they walk through a singular entrance point onto the field.  I think the thermal thermometers cost less than $100.  Anything more than that (swabs/testing/etc) is going to be price-prohibitive.