Miami Northwestern trivia

OldSchoolLion

The Bulls have produced some great playoff defenses over the years.  Beating them in the playoffs is tough.  The odds are even lower for a one dimensional team, but this team pulled it off, knocking the Bulls out of the playoffs while only completing one pass the entire game.

Who was that team? 

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

The Bulls have produced some great playoff defenses over the years.  Beating them in the playoffs is tough.  The odds are even lower for a one dimensional team, but this team pulled it off, knocking the Bulls out of the playoffs while only completing one pass the entire game.

Who was that team? 

This was a gimme. Apopka only completed one pass (for a long touchdown) in handing the Bulls a 34-16 beating in the 6A title game in 2001 up at the Doak. Now to be fair, the Darters should have been two for two on passes as Antoine Coley dropped one in the endzone when he was wide open. 

While a running team, it is slightly misleading to describe Apopka as one dimensional as it always has multiple backs and often the ball is snapped to multiple individuals during the course of a game.  

1 minute ago, DarterBlue2 said:

This was a gimme. Apopka only completed one pass (for a long touchdown) in handing the Bulls a 34-16 beating in the 6A title game in 2001 up at the Doak. Now to be fair, the Darters should have been two for two on passes as Antoine Coley dropped one in the endzone when he was wide open. 

While a running team, it is slightly misleading to describe Apopka as one dimensional as it always has multiple backs and often the ball is snapped to multiple individuals during the course of a game.  

I'll have to make it harder for you next time, Darter.  :P

6 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Must have been a fun ride home after the big win. 

It was! Was forced to spend the night as I had three young men with me and driving conditions were scary. The fog had come in during the final quarter of the game and was as thick as pea soup when we left. I drove about 10 miles down I-10 and decided the risk was not worth it. 

8 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Just set up the rematch and da west will smashed them worse then they beat us back then.

1 hour ago, Kyle Wilcox said:

Just set up the rematch and da west will smashed them worse then they beat us back then.

Maybe and maybe not. Apopka is one of a few Central Florida schools that has enough talent, and a culture of winning, that allows them to compete with the better south Florida schools. This year there is no chance of a rematch, as schedules have been set. However, there is a decent chance there will be a basis for comparison as Apopka has American Heritage Plantation on its schedule and you will play them, too. 

Apopka does not fear or back down from any challenge because there is a belief that a loss is a learning experience. In fact though we have won three state titles, we have never done so undefeated. I am sure Apopka would be willing to play MNW over the next few years, if an agreement acceptable to both programs can be reached. 

The person that caught the 1 pass.

APOPKA MOURNS LOSS OF MCMILLER

It's the haunting lyrics from a popular Peter, Paul & Mary ballad:

But it seems the good, they die young. I just looked around and he's gone.

That's also the refrain coming from Apopka High School this past week. The school community is mourning the loss of Theodis McMiller III, 19, who drowned when his canoe overturned during an outing last weekend in Bowling Green, Ky.

Some Apopkans remember McMiller, nicknamed Tre, for his touchdown catch that opened up the running game en route to the Blue Darters beating Miami Northwestern for the 2001 Class 6A state football championship.

Others remember him for being one of 16 senior teammates to sign grants-in-aid to continue their education and football. McMiller was among seven who signed with Western Kentucky, where he played this year as a true freshman.

Some may even remember he wore No. 11, the same number his father wore as a pioneering minority quarterback for the Blue Darters.

Apopka Athletic Director Phil King remembers McMiller as epitomizing what you want in a student-athlete.

"He led by example. He did whatever coaches and teachers wanted. Just an outstanding young man," King said. "He was always upbeat, cheerful. Life was good. This is a great loss to our community."

Principal John Edwards remembers him for being the person he was.

"He was a role model for all kids," Edwards said. "He represented Apopka High School as well as anybody who has come through here. You can't say enough good things about him. This is a real tragedy."

The elder McMiller, eloquent and thoughtful, shared with Orlando Sentinel High School Sports host Bill Shafer:

"I hope I can use his life to encourage parents never to take kids for granted. You never know when it's your last time together."

Young McMiller was a class act, the leader of a class program. He made Apopka and all who knew him proud.

9 hours ago, Kyle Wilcox said:

If apopka play da west right now they would get smashed.

Shouldn't you all be concerned with practicing "in season" these days LMAO

Since you all clearly wanted to get a head start on the rest of the state with that full team practice that got your coach in trouble 

On 7/3/2020 at 8:50 AM, Perspective said:

Which is easier to do when you're using multiple footballs.   :D

On 7/2/2020 at 9:49 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

I took this shot at that game.  

All the Major Differences Between NFL and College Football

On 7/3/2020 at 7:22 AM, DarterBlue2 said:

Maybe and maybe not. Apopka is one of a few Central Florida schools that has enough talent, and a culture of winning, that allows them to compete with the better south Florida schools. This year there is no chance of a rematch, as schedules have been set. However, there is a decent chance there will be a basis for comparison as Apopka has American Heritage Plantation on its schedule and you will play them, too. 

Apopka does not fear or back down from any challenge because there is a belief that a loss is a learning experience. In fact though we have won three state titles, we have never done so undefeated. I am sure Apopka would be willing to play MNW over the next few years, if an agreement acceptable to both programs can be reached. 

Yep we will play american heritage in rd 3 of the playoffs to advance to our 4th straight state semi final. Yall have talent for sure but yall players didn't close the deal last season at state. So like I said with the loaded team we have we will take it to yall in 2021 or 2022.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:22 AM, DarterBlue2 said:

Well how soon do think they can get and accepted agreement for somewhere like 2021 season or 2022 season cause this game needs to happen.

1 hour ago, Kyle Wilcox said:

Well how soon do think they can get and accepted agreement for somewhere like 2021 season or 2022 season cause this game needs to happen.

Contact Apopka's AD. I am sure the program would be willing to discuss a game with the Bulls. If the Darters have to travel to Dade, they would probably prefer a home and away over two years. In either location, the game would draw well. If you want, send me a PM and I will give you a link to contact the program. 

18 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Contact Apopka's AD. I am sure the program would be willing to discuss a game with the Bulls. If the Darters have to travel to Dade, they would probably prefer a home and away over two years. In either location, the game would draw well. If you want, send me a PM and I will give you a link to contact the program. 

Well I just want Apopka's AD to contact MNW AD about a possible home and away agreement over the next two years. That way this game can finally happen. MNW vs APK  rematch of the century.

On 7/15/2020 at 1:12 AM, Kyle Wilcox said:

Well I just want Apopka's AD to contact MNW AD about a possible home and away agreement over the next two years. That way this game can finally happen. MNW vs APK  rematch of the century.

If you are not connected with the MNW program then you have no say who they play.  If you are connected to the MNW program then have your AD call.  I'm willing to bet you the Apopka AD is not reading this message board

9 hours ago, badbird said:

If you are not connected with the MNW program then you have no say who they play.  If you are connected to the MNW program then have your AD call.  I'm willing to bet you the Apopka AD is not reading this message board

A bunch of posters on this message board need to read that post. 

13 hours ago, badbird said:

I never said I had no say Im just a big Miami Northwestern fan and I want to see this rematch happens so the bulls can avenge the 2001 loss.

3 hours ago, Kyle Wilcox said:

I never said I had no say Im just a big Miami Northwestern fan and I want to see this rematch happens so the bulls can avenge the 2001 loss.

You realize that all members of the current teams were not even born in 2001? It's just old fans like us that even know this game occurred. But, yeah, I would like to see a rematch, too. That way Apopka can show once and for all that they can compete with Dade County's finest. Win or lose I know the Darters would not roll over!

On 7/18/2020 at 5:46 AM, DarterBlue2 said:

You realize that all members of the current teams were not even born in 2001? It's just old fans like us that even know this game occurred. But, yeah, I would like to see a rematch, too. That way Apopka can show once and for all that they can compete with Dade County's finest. Win or lose I know the Darters would not roll over!

Well we gone see what yall do against AHP week 1. If yall can't hang with them then yall definitely  in trouble against us. Our team this yr is super loaded at every position. Us and St Thomas looking to go unbeaten this season.