Who Is This Famous Coach? John Maronto/Mainland

OldSchoolLion

That is John Maranto, who was the Head Coach at Mainland, Marimar, and New Smyrna Beach. Coach Maranto won a state title at Mainland in 2003, to this day the only state title in high school football for Volusia County. Also,  he was the Head Coach for a very valued, important, and rumored good looking poster to this message board in high school. lol

32 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

Thank you for sharing that with the message board. That still doesn't erase all of the good that the man did for many years for many people.

He must have not cursed at you much.  Sorry I lost respect for him as a man.  I'm sure he won't lose any sleep over it.  Great coach did something stupid to end his career.

23 hours ago, badbird said:

He must have not cursed at you much.  Sorry I lost respect for him as a man.  I'm sure he won't lose any sleep over it.  Great coach did something stupid to end his career.

CURSED? CURSED? You really want to discuss cursing, why don't we talk to you about your hero Rick Darlington? Coach Maronto could have retired many years ago, but he cared about his players as human beings first, football players second. Coach Maronto is doing just fine, and he is still involved with the game of football.

10 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

CURSED? CURSED? You really want to discuss cursing, why don't we talk to you about your hero Rick Darlington? Coach Maronto could have retired many years ago, but he cared about his players as human beings first, football players second. Coach Maronto is doing just fine, and he is still involved with the game of football.

lol you are amazing.  The cursing was a joke.  Cursing really gets to you but trying to sleep with hookers is ok? I have one hero Jesus Christ.  Rick Darlington is definitely a friend but I don't idolize him.  I'm glad Coach Maronto is doing fine and I bet he regrets that decision every day.  

12 hours ago, badbird said:

lol you are amazing.  The cursing was a joke.  Cursing really gets to you but trying to sleep with hookers is ok? I have one hero Jesus Christ.  Rick Darlington is definitely a friend but I don't idolize him.  I'm glad Coach Maronto is doing fine and I bet he regrets that decision every day.  

Sex between two consenting adults does NOT bother me. High School Football Coaches who yell, scream, and even curse the whole game at officials does bother me. High School Football Coaches who are not able to set a proper example for the young players who they are charged with leading by staying in control of their emotions does bother me. To answer your question, NO Coach Maronto never cursed at me, but he did teach me a lot about the game of football, and life in general.

On 7/21/2020 at 9:13 PM, Jambun82 said:

Sex between two consenting adults does NOT bother me. High School Football Coaches who yell, scream, and even curse the whole game at officials does bother me. High School Football Coaches who are not able to set a proper example for the young players who they are charged with leading by staying in control of their emotions does bother me. To answer your question, NO Coach Maronto never cursed at me, but he did teach me a lot about the game of football, and life in general.

I second the motion. What he did in his private life is nobody's business. What he did with the Mainland football team was paramount.

7 hours ago, badbird said:

He got fired for what he did in his private life.  A coaches private life matters.  

I understand why he was fired. Coaches need to set an example for their players, and obviously Coach Maronto did not set the proper example in that instance. My point was that that one incident, which I personally do not find to be a big issue at all, should not overshadow all of the good that the man did for many people for many years, including for me personally. I still remember having a conversation with Coach Maronto about Woody Hayes, and he explaining to me that all that Coach Hayes accomplished at Ohio State should not be discounted because he punched a Clemson player who intercepted a pass in the 1978 Gator Bowl.

As a DeLand kid growing up, I respect him as a coach. I was 1-1 vs him, and remember him at weightlifting meets as well. I also know some of my former coaches worked with him and spoke highly of him. Yeah, he made a mistake, but let’s try and be bigger than his mistakes and also realize some of us live in glass houses. 

23 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Maronto beat a team from Pennsylvania and California in his career. That’s it. That’s the post 

The team that Coach Maronto, as the Head Coach at New Smyrna Beach, beat from Pennsylvania was Central Daulphin East 17-6, in the 22nd Annual Rotary Bowl at Longwood Lyman High School the day before Thanksgiving in 1995.

13 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

The team that Coach Maronto, as the Head Coach at New Smyrna Beach, beat from Pennsylvania was Central Daulphin East 17-6, in the 22nd Annual Rotary Bowl at Longwood Lyman High School the day before Thanksgiving in 1995.

A young ref threw 17 flags on Lyman that game determined to let his hero Maronto win  :) 

8 hours ago, badbird said:

A young ref threw 17 flags on Lyman that game determined to let his hero Maronto win  :) 

From what I can remember about the game, it was well officiated. I do remember two pass-interference calls on NSB on the last drive as Central Daulphin East was moving the ball to make the score a little closer. I also remember a Cuda DB making a great PBU in the end zone on the last play of the game even though a touchdown would have only made the final score 17-12.

12 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

From what I can remember about the game, it was well officiated. I do remember two pass-interference calls on NSB on the last drive as Central Daulphin East was moving the ball to make the score a little closer. I also remember a Cuda DB making a great PBU in the end zone on the last play of the game even though a touchdown would have only made the final score 17-12.

Dang good memory.  I have a hard time remembering what I did yesterday

11 hours ago, badbird said:

Dang good memory.  I have a hard time remembering what I did yesterday

I still have the ugly grey shirt from the game lol. Some games  you remember better than others I suppose. I always made it a point to remember any football games from Seminole County because the fields and locker rooms always were so much nicer than in Volusia County.

• 2 weeks later...