Football Advisory Committee voted 9-0

SubZero

25 minutes ago, SubZero said:

I saw this as part of hsfb news, and thought it was interesting, but where Dade & Broward stand with this including Palm Beach who if not mistaken can't get started til October. 

EeIX1IJWAAsr7le.jpeg

EeIYpP7X0AAsxY7.jpeg

Not the best proposal but considering the potential options on the table it may be best I could have hoped for 

At least it won't sabotage winter and spring sports, especially spring who suffered enough from this virus as it is 

15 minutes ago, Perspective said:

I might know of a few reason$$$$.

They won't make anything of TV revenue if they don't have a single location to put the games

And if all games end up on same day only one or 2 games will get any coverage and rest will be up to local media (might as well stick a fork in seeing any games in many areas of the state)

19 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

They won't make anything of TV revenue if they don't have a single location to put the games

And if all games end up on same day only one or 2 games will get any coverage and rest will be up to local media (might as well stick a fork in seeing any games in many areas of the state)

ColumbiaFan, my understanding is that schools and counties keep the gate money from regular season games, but the money from state series (i.e., playoff) games goes to the FHSAA.  I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.  Even if the gate money is cut because of Covid restrictions, 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.  It wouldn't surprise me if the money made from the football state series alone covers the salaries of several FHSAA staff members.   In other words, there are (perfectly legitimate) reasons why the people working there and who are working on this issue would like to see a state series. 

1 hour ago, Hwy17 said:

Sounds to me like the FHSAA is expecting a significant number of schools are planning on playing independent.

Yes, I think that's correct.  They seem to recognize that a number of schools (especially in Miami-Dade and Broward) simply won't be able to start as quickly as the rest of the state and will therefore choose to play a full season of games over a truncated schedule and a state series in which they may only get to play one additional game.  

4 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I just don't understand why continue pushing for state series when they don't even have a Championship site for 4-8a 

No city gonna bid to host state championships during this pandemic as I don't think any mayor in the state is gonna approve a major event like that to take place 

Does Disney have the facilities to put on the 4-8a championships? Major League Soccer is competing there now. Revenue could be derived from live streaming of championship games. ESPN could televise the games nationally if the country is still starved for football at that time.

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Yes, I think that's correct.  They seem to recognize that a number of schools (especially in Miami-Dade and Broward) simply won't be able to start as quickly as the rest of the state and will therefore choose to play a full season of games over a truncated schedule and a state series in which they may only get to play one additional game.  

If those counties don't play then I wouldn't even want to be in the state series because we wouldn't gain any respect winning a Championship without the best of the best playing in it 

31 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Does Disney have the facilities to put on the 4-8a championships? Major League Soccer is competing there now. Revenue could be derived from live streaming of championship games. ESPN could televise the games nationally if the country is still starved for football at that time.

Maybe but as of now they haven't placed a bid and with the idea of limited fans would they even want to try and get the game  

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If those counties don't play then I wouldn't even want to be in the state series because we wouldn't gain any respect winning a Championship without the best of the best playing in it 

Any team that wins a state championship this year is going to have an asterisk next to their name -- for reasons well beyond their control.  That said, if teams from Miami-Dade and Broward make the perfectly reasonable choice to opt out this year so that they can get in a full season's worth of games (and perhaps have their own championship games), I suspect kids who play for teams that participate in the state series and come out on top will proudly hang that championship medal around their neck. 

1 minute ago, Perspective said:

Any team that wins a state championship this year is going to have an asterisk next to their name -- for reasons well beyond their control.  That said, if teams from Miami-Dade and Broward make the perfectly reasonable choice to opt out this year so that they can get in a full season's worth of games (and perhaps have their own championship games), I suspect kids who play for teams that participate in the state series and come out on top will proudly hang that championship medal around their neck. 

Exactly why I rather not be involved in it personally

It would just be something the state would say "oh Columbia still a nothing program, you all only won because all good teams were taken out, still losers"

We wouldn't gain any respect winning a Championship this year so it's pointless for us to even try, if Winning doesn't gain respect it's not worth chasing

Granted I do believe your right that some people out there would celebrate it like it was a great triumph but ik I wouldn't care or even brag about winning a Championship this year

Now if things are different by winter or spring and we win a championship when all counties are participating by that point then I would brag about those with pride but I take no pride in winning anything that doesn't involve beating the best team in the state (or at least the best team we can play in the state for the postseason)

6 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Maybe but as of now they haven't placed a bid and with the idea of limited fans would they even want to try and get the game  

As a practical matter, I would advise the FHSAA not to solicit bids or enter into contracts for the 4A-8A championship games this year.   Too many unknowns.  If they want to "explore possibilities" with venues, that would be fine.  Otherwise, just let the season play out and, as I have said before, and for this year only, play the games at the home fields (or the home towns) of one of the two teams in each one of the finals -- either the highest rated team (from an RPI standpoint) or simply flip a coin.   Make the best of a tough situation. 

Just now, Perspective said:

As a practical matter, I would advise the FHSAA not to solicit bids or enter into contracts for the 4A-8A championship games this year.   Too many unknowns.  If they want to "explore possibilities" with venues, that would be fine.  Otherwise, just let the season play out and, as I have said before, and for this year only, play the games at the home fields (or the home towns) of one of the two teams in each one of the finals -- either the highest rated team (from an RPI standpoint) or simply flip a coin.   Make the best of a tough situation. 

The thing is this isn't GA or TX where the cities who host it will make a ton of money by renting out the venues

FL attendance in the finals suck on a good year, it's gonna be very thin attendance if any at all this year so I can't imagine anyone renting out a venue this year will make much money from it so there won't be much interest in hosting

They probably will have to do home sites but unless every title game is on a different day then you won't get any statewide media for the games which means you hurt the exposure the games end up getting

A real no win situation which is again on top of everything else why I think it better to just forgo a state championship this year

Let regions geographically run postseason if they choose to but a state championship is not worth the Trouble this year

3 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Exactly why I rather not be involved in it personally

It would just be something the state would say "oh Columbia still a nothing program, you all only won because all good teams were taken out, still losers"

We wouldn't gain any respect winning a Championship this year so it's pointless for us to even try, if Winning doesn't gain respect it's not worth chasing

Or just take the approach and use the argument that most of the kids on the winning teams will make:  "Those South Florida teams knew they wouldn't be able to beat us this year so they chickened out and chose not to participate in the playoffs" (or words to that effect).      :D

1 minute ago, Perspective said:

Or just take the approach and use the argument that most of the kids on the winning teams will make:  "Those South Florida teams knew they wouldn't be able to beat us this year so they chickened out and chose not to participate in the playoffs" (or words to that effect).      :D

I might have a big ego but even I'm not that egotistical to believe any SFL team would be afraid of us but sadly there are programs up here in North Florida (some we even play who would believe that, I believe their mascot is the Generals)

14 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I might have a big ego but even I'm not that egotistical to believe any SFL team would be afraid of us but sadly there are programs up here in North Florida (some we even play who would believe that, I believe their mascot is the Generals)

In a way, it might even be better if one team wins the 8A state championship for those teams who participated in the state series and another team wins the Dade-Broward 8A championship.   That way, people will be able to go on websites and message boards for the next twenty years and argue about which team would have won had they actually played each other.  Fans have been known to do that kind of thing.   :D

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

In a way, it might even be better if one team wins the 8A state championship for those teams who participated in the state series and another team wins the Dade-Broward 8A championship.   That way, people will be able to go on websites and message boards for the next twenty years and argue about which team would have won had they actually played each other.  Fans have been known to do that kind of thing.   :D

Hey, maybe they could even arrange a match in January (post season) to determine which of the two is best, if conditions are safe to do so. 

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Which is why I think schools should all play independent conferences this year and have a bowl game. Start the season near the end of September and go 11 weeks to first of December. See my post below for an ideal of what it could look like.

On 7/30/2020 at 2:09 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Major League Soccer and the NBA are playing without fans. Maybe the FHSAA should approach Disney and see if there is any interest.

1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

Major League Soccer and the NBA are playing without fans. Maybe the FHSAA should approach Disney and see if there is any interest.

Limit seating to 1/4th capacity to permit social distancing. Keep the band and cheerleaders out of the bleachers and on the track.

17 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah but isn't there a major TV network for both events?

I don't see ESPN willing to broadcast the state championships in Florida

ESPN broadcasts top high school football games every year. I would think that Florida State Championship games would meet that criteria, especially the upper division games.