Who Is This FL HS Legend? Wayne Gandy/Haines City

OldSchoolLion

One of the better offensive linemen produced by the state of Florida.  He played for a losing team in high school.  He was a collegiate All-American and had a successful pro career.  When he was drafted into the NFL, he was the second highest OL chosen that year.

Who is he?

Where did he play in hs?

Where did he play in college?

What NFL team drafted him?

Wayne Gandy - Central Florida's Polk County Sports Marketing

On 7/31/2020 at 6:48 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

One of the better offensive linemen produced by the state of Florida.  He played for a losing team in high school.  He was a collegiate All-American and had a successful pro career.  When he was drafted into the NFL, he was the second highest OL chosen that year.

Who is he?

Where did he play in hs?

Where did he play in college?

What NFL team drafted him?

Wayne Gandy - Central Florida's Polk County Sports Marketing

He must be a 1970s or 1980s guy. He looks so small (not short) and athletic for an O Line. 

This is just a guess, but is that Tra Thomas from Deland? If this is correct, I don't remember the Bulldogs having a losing record when he played there in the early 90's. Tra Thomas played for Florida State, and then was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles (My 32nd favorite team in the NFL) in I believe 1995.

8 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

This is just a guess, but is that Tra Thomas from Deland? If this is correct, I don't remember the Bulldogs having a losing record when he played there in the early 90's. Tra Thomas played for Florida State, and then was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles (My 32nd favorite team in the NFL) in I believe 1995.

Appreciate you trying, but no.  This fellow played in the SEC, but not for the Gators.  He is not from the Orlando or Tampa metro areas.  

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Appreciate you trying, but no.  This fellow played in the SEC, but not for the Gators.  He is not from the Orlando or Tampa metro areas.  

Well, even though he's not from Tampa, they still named a bridge after him. 

Oh, wait, turns out the Gandy Bridge is named after somebody else.  B)

Wayne Gandy. 

Haines City H.S.; Auburn; drafted by the Rams, but also played with a couple of other teams.