FHSAA Meeting Scheduled - No Livestreaming

HornetFan

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I used to think the same way but honestly after the last few years at Columbia I don't feel that way anymore

I started realizing the "tradition" is nothing more than a ploy to sell tickets and that no matter how much you try to help a program the people at the top will turn on you the first chance they get 

Maybe I would enjoy the game more if my surroundings and recent experience wasn't so negative but to me tradition is what you make it to be

When you have a rivalry that is 100 years old, that's tradition.

21 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Me being a admin here is the most logical decision

I'm one of the most active members and have a direct line to the website owner

As for the line that politics is synonymous with real life, that don't mean that every single place discussing sports has to turn into red vs blue 

Ik that many political leaders on both sides are insecure and need all the attention talking about them every minute but that's not how things are run here, this is a football board

This ain't rivals where political posts have overrun the board to the point it no longer feels like a football board and this ain't prep gridiron where rules are never enforced 

It seems not all that long ago that you told everyone you were quitting this board. So, I suppose I'm a bit confused.

17 hours ago, HornetFan said:

The other day, the Orlando Sentinel mentioned a phone call that took place this past week where the three options for Fall sports were discussed. They said there were 15 people on the call; I don't know their official capacity, but they were supposed to represent various regions of the state. Seven preferred Option 1, play football in the Fall; the other 8 opted for Option 3, play an abbreviated season in the Spring. It didn't say where each person was from, but I imagine the 8 that voted for option 3 were from the areas most effected by the virus outbreaks.

I'm pretty sure this was the Athletic Directors Advisory Committee.  If you want to see who is on that committee, click on the link:

https://www.fhsaa.org/gov/ad

21 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Honestly I wouldn't be as opposed to allowing spring football but why should Spring sports get a shortened season as a result

Just play them cocurrently

That works fine for the larger class sports.  Sure, you'll get a handful of kids who play multiple sports who will have to choose which sport they want to play.   But, as FHSAA Board Member (and immediate past-President) Bobby Johns, Athletic Director at the small panhandle Wewahitchka High School, pointed out at the last meeting, if the football players don't get the chance to play spring sports like baseball and track, they simply won't have enough athletes/kids to field those spring sports.   This was just one of the many reasons Johns was pushing so hard to keep the fall sports calendar the way that it was. 

Did anyone else read the Orlando Sentinel article on why the FHSAA wasn't going to livestream the meeting this Friday?   The explanation made no sense to me.   It was, basically, "well, that's just not the way we usually do our meetings."   Um, this is an emergency meeting, specially called to deal with the impact of a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic and that's the excuse you want to give?  The president of the FHSAA board  wants the meeting livestreamed (just like the past two were) and FHSAA staff essentially said "F*#% you; we're not going to do it that way."   Am I missing something?   Can anyone defend Tomyn's position on this issue?  Josh, are you planning on attending?  How early do you think you'll need to get there in order to insure that you get one of the twenty or so spots available to the public? 

49 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Did anyone else read the Orlando Sentinel article on why the FHSAA wasn't going to livestream the meeting this Friday?   The explanation made no sense to me.   It was, basically, "well, that's just not the way we usually do our meetings."   Um, this is an emergency meeting, specially called to deal with the impact of a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic and that's the excuse you want to give?  The president of the FHSAA board  wants the meeting livestreamed (just like the past two were) and FHSAA staff essentially said "F*#% you; we're not going to do it that way."   Am I missing something?   Can anyone defend Tomyn's position on this issue?  Josh, are you planning on attending?  How early do you think you'll need to get there in order to insure that you get one of the twenty or so spots available to the public? 

I am in agreement with you. It does not make any sense. 

4 hours ago, Perspective said:

I'm pretty sure this was the Athletic Directors Advisory Committee.  If you want to see who is on that committee, click on the link:

https://www.fhsaa.org/gov/ad

I think you're right. The article said there were 15 members and that's what they have on the Advisory Committee.

4 hours ago, Perspective said:

That works fine for the larger class sports.  Sure, you'll get a handful of kids who play multiple sports who will have to choose which sport that want to play.   But, as FHSAA Board Member (and immediate past-President) Bobby Johns, Athletic Director at the small panhandle Wewahitchka High School, pointed out at the last meeting, if the football players don't get the chance to play spring sports like baseball and track, they simply won't have enough athletes/kids to field those spring sports.   This was just one of the many reasons Johns was pushing so hard to keep the fall sports calendar the way that it was. 

I know it's not a perfect solution for the small schools, but this is a "hopefully" once in a lifetime problem. Couldn't they allow kids double up for this one year and if they wish, play two sports at the same time as long as the two coaches feel it is feasible? I know that at my grandsons' school (an 8A school here in Orlando), they have several football players that also play lacrosse or baseball, and one of their top WR's is and outstanding baseball player with college and/or pro potential who would have to make a very difficult decision if both sports were played in the Spring and a waiver wasn't granted. He'd be crazy if he didn't play baseball, especially after missing last season to the virus.

2 hours ago, HornetFan said:

I know it's not a perfect solution for the small schools, but this is a "hopefully" once in a lifetime problem. Couldn't they allow kids double up for this one year and if they wish, play two sports at the same time as long as the two coaches feel it is feasible? I know that at my grandsons' school (an 8A school here in Orlando), they have several football players that also play lacrosse or baseball, and one of their top WR's is and outstanding baseball player with college and/or pro potential who would have to make a very difficult decision if both sports were played in the Spring and a waiver wasn't granted. He'd be crazy if he didn't play baseball, especially after missing last season to the virus.

If Deon Sanders can go from the football field to the baseball field (in a helicopter!), then so can high school kids.  I agree with you on this one.   Let kids play multiple sports (perhaps with a limit on the number of "contests" per week; or one sport per day). 

37 minutes ago, Perspective said:

If Deon Sanders can go from the football field to the baseball field (in a helicopter!), then so can high school kids.  I agree with you on this one.   Let kids play multiple sports (perhaps with a limit on the number of "contests" per week; or one sport per day). 

Exactly

This is a unprecedented situation but we need to limit the damage to the athletes as much as possible and screwing over the spring athletes once again after they already got screwed this past spring isn't limiting the damage 

Ik most the state only really cares about football but there are other sports that mean as much to many athletes and fans as football does 

I watched a team this past spring who was catching fire and about to make a run to state despite being doubted all off-season only to have it taken away from them

I would give up 10 years of attending football games just to have seen that team given a chance to show what they could have done

9 minutes ago, Perspective said:

One of the Board Members (John Gerdes) apparently sent out a tweet late this afternoon announcing that the FHSAA board meeting on Friday will be live-streamed after all.   Details being worked out. 

They should invite several players from teams around the Gainesville and Central Florida area and ask them to speak on behalf of the players who have been training for months. The players could poll other players in the area and if possible, from around the state, to at least give the kids a voice before a decision is made that effects them more than anyone else.

FHSAA
Board meeting will be streamed
Orlando Sentinel (8/11/20) By Buddy Collings
Florida High School Athletic Association executive director George Tomyn said Monday afternoon he has changed his mind and the organization will livestream Friday’s much-anticipated board of directors meeting in Gainesville focusing on fall, winter and spring sports.
“I just notified our board that we will be livestreaming the meeting this Friday,” Tomyn said of the FHSAA meeting during a phone call with the Orlando Sentinel. “I do not know exactly how that’s going to happen. I don’t have any specific details on it at this moment in time.
“I understand, and our board understands, that this is very important to a number of people. We will be sending out detailed information as it becomes available.”
Friday’s meeting, starting at 10 a.m., at the Best Western Gateway Grand Hotel marks the first in-person gathering of the 16-person board since the COVID-19 outbreak halted high school sports in mid-March.
The board twice held emergency videoconference meetings in June in search of solutions for how and when to bring teams back to the field of play with the coronavirus pandemic still impacting the state.
The FHSAA had an audience of more than 4,000 YouTube viewers watching its July 20 board meeting. It was much the same three days later, with another volatile meeting that saw the vote to push preseason starts back a month from July 27 to no earlier than Aug. 24.
Tomyn told the Sentinel on Friday the FHSAA would not be livestreaming this week’s meeting. As that word spread along with the news that only 50 people would be allowed into the hotel ballroom — including board members and FHSAA staff — due to Alachua County coronavirus restrictions, many in the media and the public bombarded the FHSAA with criticism and requests to offer some form of broadcast. Some said the association would be violating Sunshine Law standards if it did not livestream the discussion.
Initially, the board seemed to follow Tomyn’s lead and leaned toward allowing local decisions while maintaining the FHSAA’s traditional sports calendar. That, proponents said, would have permitted North Florida schools with low COVID-19 numbers to start fall tryouts on June 27.
But during its second meeting, on June 23, the board reversed its vote and pushed the start date back for all fall teams to no sooner than Aug. 24. It asked Tomyn and his Gainesville-based staff to confer with advisory committees and gave the association’s Sports Medicine Advisory Committee more time to gather data to be considered Friday.
Now, amid reports the Big Ten is moving its college football season to spring and that the Pac-12 may lead others in postponing play, the FHSAA will again tackle the prickly issue of whether some teams should be allowed to start earlier than others.
The board will be looking at three options that have been discussed since its last meeting with coaching advisory committees for football, girls volleyball, cross country, golf and swimming. Bowling is the other fall sport that is awaiting word on its future as schools begin to reopen.
Option 1 would maintain the Aug. 24 practice date and offer a revamped state series. All teams that sign on for the football playoffs would be placed in blind draw brackets for the eight classifications (1A through 8A).
Districts would disappear to provide more scheduling flexibility. State finals would be pushed back to the weekends of Dec. 10-12 and 17-19.
The other fall sports would also have game schedules starting the week of Sept. 7 and leading into a condensed playoff system.
Option 2 would have practices starting after August and end fall regular seasons on Nov. 28. That would eliminate state championship playoffs and in their place permit region or local FHSAA-sanctioned bowl games, tournaments and events to be concluded by Dec. 12.
Option 3 would shift the start of fall practices back to Nov. 30 and call for regular-season play from Dec. 14 through Jan. 23. State playoffs would survive but would be played in January and February, possibly with adjusted formats.
The board could vote to adopt any of those options but could also change any of the elements and consider other concepts.