Columbia Trivia #1

OldSchoolLion

5 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

5-2 going into game (lost last 3) including Nease. So they both definitely could have been state ranked when game was played. 

I suppose it's possible

I've seen Columbia teams of similar record that didn't touch getting ranked in state but I guess they could have but if so it would be one those cases of a team that definitely stuck out like a sore thumb in the state poll especially when they lost 3 straight down the stretch and became the team that blew a playoff streak that went back to 1993 and was one of only 3 Columbia teams to miss playoffs since 93

8 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

5-2 going into game (lost last 3) including Nease. So they both definitely could have been state ranked when game was played. 

Columbiafan you know your schools history but you were probably only 5 or 6 years old during that season. 

7 minutes ago, Just A Coach said:

Columbiafan you know your schools history but you were probably only 5 or 6 years old during that season. 

Yeah I probably was too young to even go to games then (which is why doing the all time team was a very tough task since I had to rely on past players for information) 

But regardless I know there were far better Columbia teams that weren't state ranked so if this one was state ranked at any point it would definitely be a surprise to me

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah I probably was too young to even go to games then (which is why doing the all time team was a very tough task since I had to rely on past players for information) 

But regardless I know there were far better Columbia teams that weren't state ranked so if this one was state ranked at any point it would definitely be a surprise to me

They were probably ranked high going into the season and were 5-2 at the time. Seems logical to me that they were still ranked. The wheels fell off after Tebow had his fun. 

Just now, Just A Coach said:

They were probably ranked high going into the season and were 5-2 at the time. Seems logical to me that they were still ranked. The wheels fell off after Tebow had his fun. 

Oh yeah don't get me started on Tebow

I've heard stories of the legend from that game, Columbia was playing well and at one point knocked him out of the game but he got up and exploded on Columbia so I wouldn't be shocked if Tebow had those numbers on us after that

10 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

Tim Tebow, Nease.
Some random white WR who played at a Mid-Major

In October of 2005, Tim Tebow and hc Craig Howard's Nease team came to Lake City.  10th ranked Columbia was 5-2 and and faced 8th ranked Nease was 5-2.  Nease went up 21-0 and never looked back, winning 49-24.  Tebow rushed for 73 yards and 3 TD's.  He went 19/28 passing for 271 yards and 2 TD's despite suffering an injury.  180 of those passing yards went to Ryan Ellis.  Ellis was a 2-time, First Team All-State selection who led the state in receiving yards two straight seasons.   He finished 2005 with 103 receptions for 1911 yards and 18 TD's.

This win gave Nease the District 5-4A title and they eventually went on to win the 4A title, beating Armwood in the final.  Columbia lost its next game to Orange Park Ridgeview, costing the Tigers the runner-up spot in the district.   

In a controversial ending to the game, it is alleged that a very young fan of Columbia threw a dirty diaper at Tebow as he was leaving the stadium because Tebow would not give the youngster his autograph. :)

28 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

In a controversial ending to the game, it is alleged that a very young fan of Columbia threw a dirty diaper at Tebow as he was leaving the stadium because Tebow would not give the youngster his autograph. :)

That last paragraph is fake news. However, if it proves true, I doubt very much that our respected colleague was the guilty party!:)

5 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Earliest I can remember going to games was I think 07 or 08 

Old School was just being Old School! My first sporting event occurred at 8 years old. It was a cricket game that I found incredibly boring. Kind of funny as I ended up playing the sport in high school, mostly because  I could not make the soccer team. Go figure ...

10 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Old School was just being Old School! My first sporting event occurred at 8 years old. It was a cricket game that I found incredibly boring. Kind of funny as I ended up playing the sport in high school, mostly because  I could not make the soccer team. Go figure ...

Ironically the earliest game I could remember was 09 vs Ed White at homecoming and Columbia made a 24 (or close to that) comeback to win a district Championship

The next time I saw us play Ed White in Tiger stadium was 2014 which was my first year on the sideline and we lost 51-7 

Funny how things can change so quickly, I could go on for hours about my experiences with Columbia

Some memories still hold value to me, others have been tainted over time because of things that happened because I had far higher expectations than many around the program did and even more higher expectations than the leaders at the school have with stuff like attendance and crowd energy 

And now I've found myself more belonging at a different sport which if I could pick one sport right now to be guaranteed to watch the next 10 seasons and give up any other sport it's probably softball, at least the coaches and players out there respect my insight and since the adminstration barely shows up to games (I don't remember a single administrator at any games this past season) it makes things much easier and less stressful to know that there isn't people actively stabbing me in the back 

8 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

How the heck was Columbia team with losses to Madison and East Ridge still in the top 10 in Florida? 

In 2016 we fell out of the rankings entirely (top 25) after losing to eventual state champions TCA despite them being ranked top 10 

Madison County and East Ridge were formidable teams back then.  For example, Madison County was actually ranked #1 all classes(Beef O'Brady's poll) coming into the 2003 state title game, so losing to them by ten at that time was a "good" loss.  In 2004, East Ridge was undefeated in the regular season and lost a close playoff game to state finalist Lake Gibson.  ER came into that 2005 Columbia game as one of the top-ranked 6A teams in the state at the time, so Columbia losing to them by one point likely didn't hurt them much in the polls either. 

The pollsters have had a love affair with Columbia for many years.  Maybe there was some of that, "this has got to be their year" thinking, and it was difficult to let go of a strong preseason ranking when it started to appear that a Columbia team was not going to contend.  I don't mean that as a knock on Columbia.  I just cannot tell you how many times I've seen Columbia ranked highly in the polls, only to disappoint come season's end.    

6 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Madison County and East Ridge were formidable teams back then.  For example, Madison County was actually ranked #1 all classes(Beef O'Brady's poll) coming into the 2003 state title game, so losing to them by ten at that time was a "good" loss.  In 2004, East Ridge was undefeated in the regular season and lost a close playoff game to state finalist Lake Gibson.  ER came into that 2005 Columbia game as one of the top-ranked 6A teams in the state at the time, so Columbia losing to them by one point likely didn't hurt them much in the polls either. 

The pollsters have had a love affair with Columbia for many years.  Maybe there was some of that, "this has got to be their year" thinking, and it was difficult to let go of a strong preseason ranking when it started to appear that a Columbia team was not going to contend.  I don't mean that as a knock on Columbia.  I just cannot tell you how many times I've seen Columbia ranked highly in the polls, only to disappoint come season's end.    

There were definitely Columbia teams that deserved to be ranked in the state poll

05 wasn't one of them 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

There were definitely Columbia teams that deserved to be ranked in the state poll

05 wasn't one of them 

Old School was right about East Ridge, though. In the fist part of the first decade of this century, they were very good. I remember them spanking Apopka at Apopka in either 2004 or 2005. That was the first and only time, I ever saw Apopka quit in a game. I realize that East Ridge was the better team, but to this day I am still pissed at and embarrassed by that Apopka team. To lose to a better team is fine. To quit is not acceptable. 

Things changed rapidly when Lake Minneola opened up and siphoned off many of the better East Ridge kids. 

16 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

There's several that always seem to get the attention of pollsters no matter what. I figure it has something to do with being covered by a major media outlet.

2 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

There's several that always seem to get the attention of pollsters no matter what. I figure it has something to do with being covered by a major media outlet.

Lake City probably ain't much bigger than your area and at best we get partial coverage from Gainesville and Jacksonville media only because we play so many teams in those areas but neither media really seems to rank us high 

We probably get a certain level of respect like a mainland or a St Augustine gets because we don't really have bad seasons

Either it's decent season or good season so normally we are a safe team to rank 

You won't see us ranked in top 10 then go 4-6