2020 Preseason Rankings (792 FL Sports)

DisabledAccount

8 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

I'm curious about something. If a student transfers from out of state to Florida are they also able to attend any school that they want in Florida after they get settled in one district? I know that Florida students can transfer anywhere in Florida but are out of state students assigned a school where they live and have to attend that school?

From what I have seen, the kids pick a school and then find a home to stay at in that community. It never seems to be a problem. A 5 star QB from Delaware is now the QB at Lake Minneola HS; Delaware isn't playing this Fall as of right now.

7 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

From what I have seen, the kids pick a school and then find a home to stay at in that community. It never seems to be a problem. A 5 star QB from Delaware is now the QB at Lake Minneola HS; Delaware isn't playing this Fall as of right now.

Basically what I am trying to ask is if the old district situation is in place for out of state transfers? In other words if an out of state student moves to Lake City and his assigned school is Columbia then is he allowed to play for let's say Gainesville HS or Orlando Lake Nona HS?

For the folks that are interested in North Central Florida HS teams and what has been developing my Celtics have added one of the best defensive coordinators to the team's coaching staff. Justin Wentworth, who used to be the DC in the Celtic's glory years, has returned to Ocala. He instituted the 3-3 Stack, made it work very well, and the Celtics had one of the best defenses in those years. Another reason why I believe that Trinity Catholic will be a force to be reckoned with in 3A this season. Can we compete with and defeat Jax Trinity and Chaminade? I guess we will see. B)

Proset, I feel pretty comfortable telling you how it works in Hillsborough County, but I'm just not sure if all counties are the same. 

My general understanding is that the transfer-in rules apply equally to kids moving into a school district from another district in the county, another county or from out of state.  In Hillsborough County, you have the absolute right to attend the public school that you're zoned for (based on where you reside) or you can attend any other school in the district, so long as they have capacity.   Some of the better-rated schools don't have capacity; therefore, you have to live is that school's district to attend.   Other schools have plenty of capacity, so it can take as many kids as want to transfer in.    (*Note:  there are some rules that apply to unique situations, but the above covers most situations).  I think this is the way it works throughout the state, but I'm just not sure. 

And, of course, as I suspect you know, kids can live in Timbuktu and attend any private school that they want to.  So the kid that moves to Lake City probably wouldn't be able to play at GHS, but he could play at Oak Hall. 

Not sure if this helps, but I tried. 

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Proset, I feel pretty comfortable telling you how it works in Hillsborough County, but I'm just not sure if all counties are the same. 

My general understanding is that the transfer-in rules apply equally to kids moving into a school district from another district in the county, another county or from out of state.  In Hillsborough County, you have the absolute right to attend the public school that you're zoned for (based on where you reside) or you can attend any other school in the district, so long as they have capacity.   Some of the better-rated schools don't have capacity; therefore, you have to live is that school's district to attend.   Other schools have plenty of capacity, so it can take as many kids as want to transfer in.    (*Note:  there are some rules that apply to unique situations, but the above covers most situations).  I think this is the way it works throughout the state, but I'm just not sure. 

And, of course, as I suspect you know, kids can live in Timbuktu and attend any private school that they want to.  So the kid that moves to Lake City probably wouldn't be able to play at GHS, but he could play at Oak Hall. 

So let me understand. If the student from Delaware wanted to go to Lake Minneola HS his family would have to move to the county that Lake Minneola is located in? I believe it's in Clermont. He could then go to any HS in that county if there was room enough. If they moved to Clermont and he then decided to go to Madison HS he could not do so unless his family moved to Madison County and there was room enough at Madison HS. Is this correct? 

2 hours ago, Proseteye said:

Basically what I am trying to ask is if the old district situation is in place for out of state transfers? In other words if an out of state student moves to Lake City and his assigned school is Columbia then is he allowed to play for let's say Gainesville HS or Orlando Lake Nona HS?

The way it works here in Central Florida is if there is available capacity at the high school, the student may enroll. If they live out of the district, they are responsible for their own transportation. If a school is at capacity and the student is out of district, they are supposed to apply under a lottery system for any spaces that may come available. If a student were coming from out of state, it would make sense that they pick the school they want and then take up local residence in that school district.

43 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

So let me understand. If the student from Delaware wanted to go to Lake Minneola HS his family would have to move to the county that Lake Minneola is located in? I believe it's in Clermont. He could then go to any HS in that county if there was room enough. If they moved to Clermont and he then decided to go to Madison HS he could not do so unless his family moved to Madison County and there was room enough at Madison HS. Is this correct? 

If his family or legal guardian bought or rented in Clermont, he would be admitted to his local school even if it was at capacity. Or, he could attend any other school in Lake County or a surrounding county if they had available space and he provided his own transportation to school. He could also go to Madison if they had available space; it would just be a long commute. None of this is taking recruiting regulations that are in place into consideration. Schools in Central Florida have gotten into trouble in the recent past for recruiting and using phony addresses or other housing arrangements.

4 hours ago, Perspective said:

With school choice you can live in one county and go to school in a different county. As long as the school is not at capacity. So you could live in Lake City on go to Gainesville High if you got approved.

36 minutes ago, Just A Coach said:

With school choice you can live in one county and go to school in a different county. As long as the school is not at capacity. So you could live in Lake City on go to Gainesville High if you got approved.

Idk why anyone would go to GHS over Lake City Columbia but yeah that description is very accurate, as long as the school isn't at capacity you can attend the school even if you don't live in the district or even the county