Columbia Trivia #2

OldSchoolLion

Gatorman got the last Columbia trivia question.  Let's see if he can do it again.  

Columbia once suffered a stunning defeat.  When you hold the other team's offense scoreless in a game, it's pretty hard to lose, right?  Well, this Tigers team figured out a way.  Ahead in the game with only a few minutes remaining and the Tigers running out the clock, the unthinkable happened.

Who was the team that beat Columbia that day?

What was at stake in that game?

16 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Gatorman got the last Columbia trivia question.  Let's see if he can do it again.  

Columbia once suffered a stunning defeat.  When you hold the other team's offense scoreless in a game, it's pretty hard to lose, right?  Well, this Tigers team figured out a way.  Ahead in the game with only a few minutes remaining and the Tigers running out the clock, the unthinkable happened.

Who was the team that beat Columbia that day?

What was at stake in that game?

Was it Eastside in 04 

District Championship perhaps?

Columbia lost 7-6 so it's possible they fumbled or threw a pick that got returned for a score 

Just now, OldSchoolLion said:

I can only assume you were either not born yet or very young, because if you had witnessed this game I am not sure you would have ever recovered.

Well I was born in 99 so I guess it's likely any team losing in that Time spread would have been considered a shocking loss since those late 90s to early 00s Columbia teams had plenty of talent (as seen by my all time team having a ton of representation from that era)

On 8/11/2020 at 7:29 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well I was born in 99 so I guess it's likely any team losing in that Time spread would have been considered a shocking loss since those late 90s to early 00s Columbia teams had plenty of talent (as seen by my all time team having a ton of representation from that era)

The answer is a team I believe you greatly admire.  Maybe not quite as much as IMG, but up there for sure.  I'll save you one guess.  It's not Madison County

I'm stumped on this one for sure, I've looked at Columbia scores from past 3 decades and I didn't really see any games where it seemed likely to have been no offensive points 

I saw a few that Columbia would have given up a field goal then could have given up a defensive TD to lose but a field goal would still be considered offensive points 

23 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I'm stumped on this one for sure, I've looked at Columbia scores from past 3 decades and I didn't really see any games where it seemed likely to have been no offensive points 

I saw a few that Columbia would have given up a field goal then could have given up a defensive TD to lose but a field goal would still be considered offensive points 

That's why this a tricky one.  You can't just look at the scores and easily figure it out.

13 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

That's why this a tricky one.  You can't just look at the scores and easily figure it out.

Just so I understand correctly field goals would still count as offensive points right? And you said we were leading the game 

I assume return TDs and defensive TDs would be only way the opponent scored or maybe a safety 

1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Well, it was Suwannee.  Now you gotta figure out what year it was and explain how they lost the game.  

Well that makes it a lot easier

Since 1990 Columbia has only 4 losses against Suwannee

1995 (lost 21-0) this one is out because Columbia never led in the game 

2001 lost 10-7 this one is possible

2004 lost 14-6 possible I suppose, interesting enough this was only game coached by Scott Anderson who was fired for a incident at practice the next week, he was replaced by Frank Beasley for the rest of the year before Danny Green returned for 3 more seasons at Columbia

And lastly 2007 14-7 loss 

I'm gonna go with 2004 and I'll say probably a defensive TD and then fumbled on the kickoff to give up a second TD

39 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well that makes it a lot easier

Since 1990 Columbia has only 4 losses against Suwannee

1995 (lost 21-0) this one is out because Columbia never led in the game 

2001 lost 10-7 this one is possible

2004 lost 14-6 possible I suppose, interesting enough this was only game coached by Scott Anderson who was fired for a incident at practice the next week, he was replaced by Frank Beasley for the rest of the year before Danny Green returned for 3 more seasons at Columbia

And lastly 2007 14-7 loss 

I'm gonna go with 2004 and I'll say probably a defensive TD and then fumbled on the kickoff to give up a second TD

It wasn't the 2004 game.  Interestingly, Columbia was the team who did not score any offensive TD's in that game.  Their only score was a defensive fumble recovery for a TD. 

In 2007, 4-4 Suwannee faced off against 7-2 Columbia for the Oaken Bucket at Suwannee.  In the first quarter, Suwannee's D stripped the ball and ran it back nearly 50 yards for a TD to go up 6-0.  The Bulldogs were completely shut down in the first half, totaling only 17 yards of offense.  Columbia took the lead 7-6 and held it into the fourth quarter.  Suwannee missed a fg and the game looked all but over with only about 4 minutes remaining.  But Suwannee's D stripped the ballcarrier again and ran it back for a 40-yard score.  Columbia had a chance to win it in the remaining few minutes, but self-destructed due to penalties.  

8 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

It wasn't the 2004 game.  Interestingly, Columbia was the team who did not score any offensive TD's in that game.  Their only score was a defensive fumble recovery for a TD. 

In 2007, 4-4 Suwannee faced off against 7-2 Columbia for the Oaken Bucket at Suwannee.  In the first quarter, Suwannee's D stripped the ball and ran it back nearly 50 yards for a TD to go up 6-0.  The Bulldogs were completely shut down in the first half, totaling only 17 yards of offense.  Columbia took the lead 7-6 and held it into the fourth quarter.  Suwannee missed a fg and the game looked all but over with only about 4 minutes remaining.  But Suwannee's D stripped the ballcarrier again and ran it back for a 40-yard score.  Columbia had a chance to win it in the remaining few minutes, but self-destructed due to penalties.  

Wow so Suwannee only win in the past 15 years came when Columbia basically shot themselves in the foot 

Definitely interesting and it could stand as Suwannee last win for a very long time, especially if they don't decide to play us in the future as Suwannee was the one who decided in the end to cut the series