FHSAA Board set for biggest vote in 100-year history: A lookahead to Friday from #WeWantToPlay to political influence in the upcoming decision

Joshua Wilson

The Board just voted at 12:30 pm to accept Option 1 with an amendment to allow schools to opt out of Option 1 requirements and schedule their Fall season when they feel the time is appropriate. Those opting out would not be eligible for state championship series. I don't think the representatives from South Florida were at all in favor of this option, but it passed.

12 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

The Board just voted at 12:30 pm to accept Option 1 with an amendment to allow schools to opt out of Option 1 requirements and schedule their Fall season when they feel the time is appropriate. Those opting out would not be eligible for state championship series. I don't think the representatives from South Florida were at all in favor of this option, but it passed.

Madison-county-cowboys  dynasty let's gooo. 100 points this year over any 1a school. Kings of rings

15 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Clearwater Academy was scheduled to play Madison County but Mad co had to cancel and the reason was Mad Co can’t play teams from that “area” 

interesting 

I think we're going to see a lot of that. Each county is making decisions as to when practice and games can start. Here in Orlando area, Seminole County has given the teams a green light to start practicing, but Orange County, right next to Seminole, has an indefinite hold on starting as of now. Teams from the two counties routinely play each other during the season and they teams that start practice and games earlier may have a distinct advantage.

16 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Clearwater Academy was scheduled to play Madison County but Mad co had to cancel and the reason was Mad Co can’t play teams from that “area” 

interesting 

Interesting how?. Its a virus going on dude, Clearwater down south dude. Madison doesn't want that virus crap. Believe me if Clearwater could come back to Madison to take the loss again.  They would, everyone schedule different.  Leave Madison alone dude.  

34 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I think we're going to see a lot of that. Each county is making decisions as to when practice and games can start. Here in Orlando area, Seminole County has given the teams a green light to start practicing, but Orange County, right next to Seminole, has an indefinite hold on starting as of now. Teams from the two counties routinely play each other during the season and they teams that start practice and games earlier may have a distinct advantage.

Why you agreeing with a clown 

From today's Orlando Sentinel (8/15/20)

Fall season gets green light despite concerns
FHSAA votes to allow high school sports to practice Aug. 24, play Sept. 4

By Buddy Collings
GAINESVILLE — Can you hear the applause from some 40,000 coaches, players and parents who signed a Florida petition using #WeWantToPlay or #LetUsPlay hashtags to forcefully ask that high school sports start as soon as possible despite ongoing concerns about the state’s coronavirus outbreak?

They got their wish on Friday when the Florida High School Athletic Association’s board of directors voted 11-5 to allow fall sports teams to start official practices Aug. 24 and play games on Friday, Sept. 4.

The decision, made during the board’s first in-person meeting since high school campuses and sports were shut down in March, was based largely on an “Option 1” plan crafted long ago by FHSAA staffers. It finally gave teams clear parameters after months of sometimes divisive debate and drawn-out deliberation by the association’s elected and appointed board members.

The Option 1 proposal gained clarity and traction when Hialeah Gardens athletic director Carlos Ochoa offered an addendum early on in Friday’s meeting. He added a stipulation that gives schools that can’t start as soon others due to coronavirus conditions the choice to either participate in state playoffs or opt out of the FHSAA’s postseason tournaments. Those that do depart before a Sept. 18 deadline will be free to work with FHSAA staff to create sports calendars and scheduling solutions that best suit their programs for the 2020-21 school year.

“We’d be happy to work with those schools to create a regional calendar,” said beleaguered FHSAA executive director George Tomyn. “We’ve said that all along.”

The vote came 2 1/2 hours into Friday’s meeting in a Best Western Gateway Grand hotel ballroom near FHSAA headquarters in Gainesville.

Ochoa’s amendment calls for a review of the statewide situation, including the numbers of teams that have committed to the state series, when the board meets again Sept. 20-21.
The decision means football, girls volleyball, bowling, cross country, golf and swimming teams can start practice in 10 days if permitted by their school districts or private school administrators.
The Seminole County Public Schools district had set Aug. 31 as its practice start date. SCPS athletics director supervisor Mike Gaudreau said a decision should be made early next week on whether Seminole will change that to Aug. 24.

The Orange County Public Schools district was waiting for a FHSAA decision before setting its own sports calendar. Osceola and Lake are likely to accept the Aug. 24 date.
The revised FHSAA plan gives football teams 10 days of practice, counting a Saturday, before season openers can be played. That is a shorter than the FHSAA’s longstanding preseason requirement.

FHSAA administrator Justin Harrison said coaches advisory committees indicated that an abbreviated preseason is not a problem because schools have been permitted to hold limited summer conditioning programs since June. Not all have been approved for workouts by their school districts.

Friday’s vote marked the second time the board chose to stray from recommendations made by the FHSAA’s Sports Medicine Advisory Committee (SMAC), which proposed a Sept. 28 start date and the traditional two preseason weeks to allow players to acclimate.

The approved calendar paves the way for 10-game regular seasons for football teams that start play Sept. 4. The football playoffs, stretching from Nov. 13 to finals Dec. 10-12 and 17-19, will look different from past years.

There will be no districts and every team that signs up for the state series will be placed in a classification and dropped into one of eight playoff brackets by a blind draw. Playoffs are set for October and November for sports aside from football.

Teams that opt out of the state series or lose in the playoffs will be allowed to add games to their schedules up until the date of the last state final day for their sport as long as they don’t exceed regular-season game limits. Championship end dates will be Nov. 4 for golf, Nov. 5 for bowling, Nov. 6-7 for cross country and swimming, and Nov. 13-14 for volleyball.

SMAC’s suggestions would have cut out the first six weeks, leaving just 10 weeks for football’s regular season and postseason to be completed on the Saturday (Dec. 19) before Christmas.
“I think that right now the majority of the state does not meet SMAC guidelines,” said Dr Jennifer Maynard, a Jacksonville Mayo Clinic physician who chairs the medical committee. “We can get a handle on this. But until the virus is given the respect that it deserves, we’re not going to get there.”
Other dissenters included Chris Patricca, a Lee County school board representative, and Mark Schusterman, a co-athletic director for Riviera Prep in Miami. “I think we’re getting away from the science aspect of this,” Schusterman said. “That’s what concerns me. I think we should be going with what SMAC says. They’re moving [start dates] back in states across the country. Because they value safety. If we start then have to stop again, then we’re really in trouble.”

Patricca spoke against the plan because it could leave her county (Lee) and the three major South Florida counties — Dade, Broward and Palm Beach — out of the running for fall state championships.
“It’s kind of like the 1988 Olympics, when Russia wasn’t there,” she said. “You are denying our district the opportunity to play in a state series.”

Miami-Dade and Broward teams scored a clean sweep of all seven state football championships available to them last season. That included all but Class 1A, which is reserved for small-town rural schools. But Ochoa, a representative from Miami-Dade, said his plan is a fair compromise given the complications caused by the coronavirus outbreak. “I think I’ve addressed everybody’s concerns,” Ochoa said. “It provides flexibility. It allows for the SMAC recommendations to be followed by districts that choose to. It maximizes seasons for all our members.”

The original FHSAA practice date was July 27. It was pushed back a month to Aug. 24 by an 11-4 of the board of directors on July 23.

Jaime and Tammy Kent, parents of a Tampa Cambridge Christian athlete, were the authors of the #LetUsPlay petition. They were also the only members of the public who made in-person comments on Friday. “Seniors don’t get another chance. This is their last chance,” Jaime said.

The meeting was held with a 50-person cap on attendance per Alachua County coronavirus restrictions. A free livestream was provided through the National Federation of High Schools.
Proponents of starting sooner rather than later, including Gov. Ron DeSantis and U.S. Senator Marco Rubio of Miami, have argued that shelving athletics created another set of mental health safety issues for high schoolers. Both have mentioned worries about anxiety and depression for teenage athletes accustomed to active lifestyles with teammates. “As it has always been, the safety and well-being of our student-athletes must be the top priority,” Rubio stated in an open letter to DeSantis. “This means protecting them from the dangers posed by COVID-19, but also protecting them from the significant socio-developmental harm of not being allowed to return to play.”

A great majority of Central Florida football head coaches who responded to a Sentinel survey (22 of 28) wanted the FHSAA to lock in the Aug. 24 start date. Several said they have been frustrated to see their players working out during the schools shutdown with personal trainers and others who may or may not have the certification, training and oversight high school coaches possess. “If they’re going to engage in that behavior, please let’s have them have that engagement under the tutelage and mentoring of great men and great women who are out there coaching these kids,” state Florida education commissioner Richard Corcoran said in a recent roundtable discussion that was orchestrated by DeSantis.

Buddy Collings can be reached by email at bcollings@orlandosentinel.com .

On 8/15/2020 at 12:36 PM, Jesse said:

Interesting how?. Its a virus going on dude, Clearwater down south dude. Madison doesn't want that virus crap. Believe me if Clearwater could come back to Madison to take the loss again.  They would, everyone schedule different.  Leave Madison alone dude.  

Dude. I have met coach Coe, and even helped him schedule games in the past. I can tell you right now that he would be ashamed that someone like you represents his program the way you do. 

Now head to Madison Church of God on Colin Kelley and repent your sins!!!

4 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Dude. I have met coach Coe, and even helped him schedule games in the past. I can tell you right now that he would be ashamed that someone like you represents his program the way you do. 

Now head to Madison Church of God on Colin Kelley and repent your sins!!!

The way you said interesting made me feel like.  You think madison is scared or something.

29 minutes ago, Jesse said:

The way you said interesting made me feel like.  You think madison is scared or something.

No. It’s interesting because Coe wanted to play but it was above his head. I wonder who is pulling the strings and dictating which counties are on the “banned” list. It’s interesting to find out what the rules are for Mad Co because if Clearwater is a hot spot and they can’t play teams from that area, how will that affect the playoffs? 

What if they play a team in the playoffs from a “hot spot”? I guess the head honchos from MadCo believe Covid doesn’t spread in the playoffs. Lol 

1 minute ago, nolebull813 said:

No. It’s interesting because Coe wanted to play but it was above his head. I wonder who is pulling the strings and dictating which counties are on the “banned” list. It’s interesting to find out what the rules are for Mad Co because if Clearwater is a hot spot and they can’t play teams from that area, how will that affect the playoffs? 

What if they play a team in the playoffs from a “hot spot”? I guess the head honchos from MadCo believe Covid doesn’t spread in the playoffs. Lol 

Luckily no 1a is except Pahokee.  The rest are panhandle or North Florida.  

On 8/15/2020 at 12:36 PM, Jesse said:

We aren't in the south (as in dade broward) and our numbers are not as high as other urban counties.  I get it though just saying perhaps their information was incorrect.  You can get the virus from any team anywhere... 

Orlando Sentinel - August 17th

Teaming up to safely make a fall schedule - 8 area private schools join to form the PSAC

By J.C. Carnahan

Eight private schools from the Orlando area finalized an exclusive scheduling agreement late Friday for fall sports teams during the 2020-21 school year. Introduced as the Private School Athletic Conference (PSAC) in social media posts, the collective consists of Foundation Academy, Faith Christian, The Geneva School, Lake Mary Prep, Mount Dora Christian Academy, Orangewood Christian, Orlando Christian Prep and The Master’s Academy.

Participating programs will only play regular-season games against each other this fall while also remaining eligible to compete in both the Florida High School Athletic Association state series and Sunshine State Athletic Association postseason.

The announcement comes after the FHSAA board of directors voted 11-5 to allow fall sports practices to begin on Aug. 24 and the first regular-season games to be played Friday, Sept. 4. Prep sports in Florida have been sidelined due to the COVID-19 pandemic since mid-March.

“We all wanted to ensure a safe environment for our schools,” said Master’s Academy athletic director Trevor Berryhill. “We’re going to agree as a group to abide by the same safety protocols and procedures during this return to play. If we decide on doing 50% capacity in the gyms or that everybody should be wearing a mask at games, then we’re all going to commit to doing those things.”

Team schedules for those schools are expected to be released this week for fall sports seasons which include football and girls volleyball, along with boys and girls golf, cross country, bowling and swimming and diving. “We tried to find schools that were like-minded and of similar size with similar sports,” Berryhill said of meetings held in recent weeks by private-school athletic directors.

Only six of the participating schools field football teams, meaning each of those programs will open the regular season with a five-game schedule. Two other football-only schools could be added to the group in the coming weeks, according to Berryhill, and teams will be permitted to play each other more than once to fill out their schedules.

Foundation and Orangewood qualified for the FHSAA Class 2A football playoffs in 2019 while Master’s Academy defeated Orlando Christian Prep in the SSAC championship game. Mount Dora Christian also competes in the SSAC. Faith Christian is playing as an independent this fall with plans to rejoin the SSAC in 2021.

20 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Is Pinellas County in the Tampa Bay area considered a hot spot right now? Sounds like Madison County will only be happy with scheduling home games against inferior 1A middle school competition.

45 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Is Pinellas County in the Tampa Bay area considered a hot spot right now? Sounds like Madison County will only be happy with scheduling home games against inferior 1A middle school competition.

I think Hillsborough county is more of a hotspot than Pinellas but yes it is all the Tampa Bay ARea.

10 minutes ago, peezy28 said:

I think Hillsborough county is more of a hotspot than Pinellas but yes it is all the Tampa Bay ARea.

I lived in Clearwater in the '80s and early '90s. Except for the beach, it's was the sleepy side of Tampa Bay. I know Hillsborough and the City of Tampa was a bit of a hot spot last month, but with numbers steadily improving over the past few weeks and Clearwater being on the other side of Tampa Bay, it's reasonable to think that football could be played safely in Clearwater. 

We're not that far away from the start of the HS football season. Does anyone have any idea what will be the protocol for fans attending the games? Or, have they decided that no fans will be allowed to attend? If no fans are allowed to attend then will the games be streamed live? I myself feel that without fans in the stands it pretty well makes the games meaningless as that is probably the main reason that the players want to play. The families, relatives, and fans not attending the games would make for a pretty redundant exercise kind of like nothing more than a regular practice or maybe even a scrimmage. Most of the excitement would be missing and I'm sure the caliber of play would be also. :unsure:

16 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

We're not that far away from the start of the HS football season. Does anyone have any idea what will be the protocol for fans attending the games? Or, have they decided that no fans will be allowed to attend? If no fans are allowed to attend then will the games be streamed live? I myself feel that without fans in the stands it pretty well makes the games meaningless as that is probably the main reason that the players want to play. The families, relatives, and fans not attending the games would make for a pretty redundant exercise kind of like nothing more than a regular practice or maybe even a scrimmage. Most of the excitement would be missing and I'm sure the caliber of play would be also. :unsure:

In the Orlando area, nothing has been announced concerning attendance at games. Seminole County appears to be able to start football on time, but nothing announced on attending games. Orange County (Orlando) has allowed practice to start, but hasn't approved dates for first games. They're supposed to have a meeting in Orange County this week. They should be able to allow at the very least, family of players to attend with social distancing and face masks on fans. Hudl tapes all the games and provides the tapes to the teams. It should be possible for them to make the tapes available to fans at a price. Just a couple of years ago, we used to get the tapes of my grandsons' games in Pop Warner. It could be a good fundraiser to make up for revenue lost to lower attendance figures.

42 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

The FHSAA is leaving it up to individual counties to decide whether to allow fans 

Some counties will allow normal

Others in high affected areas will likely use 25% or 50% capacity depending on how the stadium is set up and they can set up social distancing in the stadium