SFHSAA being created ?

SubZero

2 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

The FHSAA left that option open for all schools throughout the state. After watching the meeting on-line, it seemed like the fairest decision, one that would allow every team in the state to play when their area deemed it safe. 

I just find it pointless to push for a state series that we know for a fact won't be one the best teams in the state actually competing and two will make the teams who win look silly claiming they a state champ when they may at best beat a tier 4 team to win a title 

Not to mention 5 of the 8 Classifications don't have a Championship site to play at and ik people say "well they can hold it at one of the schools of the teams playing" but the problem there is now you have 5 Championship games the same day in 5 different cities 

You won't get any statewide broadcast or statewide media at the game because Broadcasting rights still belong to that media company out of Orlando so unless it's a Orlando team you won't see any broadcasting of state championship and at best you will get a few local media guys covering the game 

The normal exposure you would see for a state championship won't exist this year and you won't have the best teams 

It's seems silly to keep pushing for that at this point

23 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I just find it pointless to push for a state series that we know for a fact won't be one the best teams in the state actually competing and two will make the teams who win look silly claiming they a state champ when they may at best beat a tier 4 team to win a title 

Not to mention 5 of the 8 Classifications don't have a Championship site to play at and ik people say "well they can hold it at one of the schools of the teams playing" but the problem there is now you have 5 Championship games the same day in 5 different cities 

You won't get any statewide broadcast or statewide media at the game because Broadcasting rights still belong to that media company out of Orlando so unless it's a Orlando team you won't see any broadcasting of state championship and at best you will get a few local media guys covering the game 

The normal exposure you would see for a state championship won't exist this year and you won't have the best teams 

It seems that South Florida is more concerned about the state championships than any other area. Why don't we listen to the kids for a change? The kids want to play football this Fall, especially those who see it as their last opportunity to earn a college scholarship. I think if you polled all the kids, very few would say the state championships are anywhere as important as playing their season.  If everything goes right and they get to play a season, the playoffs would be the cherry on top of the cake; they won't replace the cake. These kids would play the games in an open field if it meant getting to play. They don't need a big stadium for the championship games, though that would be nice for the fans. If it's beneficial to some media outlet to televise the games, that outlet will come forward. If not, they can videotape the games and sell copies to all interested parties. We still don't know if the "powers that be" will allow a football season to be completed. Let's just get one started for now and let the kids play.

5 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

When you get to the final week of the season and one 8A team not from South Florida is hosting another 8A team not from South Florida for the state championship, I can tell you a few things:  first, the kids (and coaches) from those two teams won't give a rat's azz that the game is not being televised statewide.  (As an aside, I'm trying to remember whether the championship games last year were televised statewide?  I thought you had to do some sort of pay-for-view or subscription in order to watch the championship games?  Either way, I digress.  The kids won't care). 

Second, in the weeks leading up to a traditional championship game, multiple games are played in multiple locations. Personally, I don't see why the playoff games -- especially the championship games --  can't be spaced out a little (Thursday, Friday, Saturday), but there likely will have to be some overlap this year.  So what?  FHSAA staff and media will have to divide and conquer. 

Third, we don't know whether fans will be allowed in any games this year.  I suspect this will be a county-by-county decision and the maximum number may change (increase or decrease) over the course of the season.   But, if we get to championship games, it's likely a sign that the Covid situation has improved and larger home crowds may help offset the loss of anticipated gate revenues from a neutral site game. 

Fourth, when all is said and done, if we get to an 8A state championship game (or 7A or 6A, etc.) and regardless of whether there is a team from South Florida, a TV crew, or fans present at the game, if you were to walk along both of the sidelines just before kickoff and ask every player if they think it's "silly" for them to be there playing that game, I suspect you'd get exactly zero "yes" answers. 

Columbia, 2020 is not going to be like any year in the past and hopefully won't be like any year in the future.   To quote our current President, "it is what it is."  (Note:  not a political statement). B)      For 2020, the first priority should be player/coach/officials safety.  Second priority:  give as many kids possible the chance to have as close to a normal high school football year as possible under the circumstances.  Third priority:  if possible, allow the schools to participate in some form of playoff competition, regardless of how different it looks from prior years (in terms of where they play, when they play, who gets to watch them play, etc.).   And if the playoff experience in one part of the state is different from the playoff experience in another part of the state, so be it.  It's not ideal, but it's better than punting.  

9 minutes ago, Perspective said:

When you get to the final week of the season and one 8A team not from South Florida is hosting another 8A team not from South Florida for the state championship, I can tell you a few things:  first, the kids (and coaches) from those two teams won't give a rat's azz that the game is not being televised statewide.  (As an aside, I'm trying to remember whether the championship games last year were televised statewide?  I thought you had to do some sort of pay-for-view or subscription in order to watch the championship games?  Either way, I digress.  The kids won't care). 

Second, in the weeks leading up to a traditional championship game, multiple games are played in multiple locations. Personally, I don't see why the playoff games -- especially the championship games --  can't be spaced out a little (Thursday, Friday, Saturday), but there likely will have to be some overlap this year.  So what?  FHSAA staff and media will have to divide and conquer. 

Third, we don't know whether fans will be allowed in any games this year.  I suspect this will be a county-by-county decision and the maximum number may change (increase or decrease) over the course of the season.   But, if we get to championship games, it's likely a sign that the Covid situation has improved and larger home crowds may help offset the loss of anticipated gate revenues from a neutral site game. 

Fourth, when all is said and done, if we get to an 8A state championship game (or 7A or 6A, etc.) and regardless of whether there is a team from South Florida, a TV crew, or fans present at the game, if you were to walk along both of the sidelines just before kickoff and ask every player if they think it's "silly" for them to be there playing that game, I suspect you'd get exactly zero "yes" answers. 

Columbia, 2020 is not going to be like any year in the past and hopefully won't be like any year in the future.   To quote our current President, "it is what it is."  (Note:  not a political statement). B)      For 2020, the first priority should be player/coach/officials safety.  Second priority:  give as many kids possible the chance to have as close to a normal high school football year as possible under the circumstances.  Third priority:  if possible, allow the schools to participate in some form of playoff competition, regardless of how different it looks from prior years (in terms of where they play, when they play, who gets to watch them play, etc.).   And if the playoff experience in one part of the state is different from the playoff experience in another part of the state, so be it.  It's not ideal, but it's better than punting.  

And yet there will be teams saying 

"We the best team in the state and can beat anyone because we won state"

Nobody winning state this year is a state champion, Championships isn't some paperweight trophy

A champion beats the best of the best, I'll say that with any team including my own

If they win a "state title" this year I would be embarrassed to watch them act like it's a true Championship when we wouldn't have beaten the best team in the state 

I was more favorable to the idea of regional Championships and bowl games this year 

12 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

It seems that South Florida is more concerned about the state championships than any other area. Why don't we listen to the kids for a change? The kids want to play football this Fall, especially those who see it as their last opportunity to earn a college scholarship. I think if you polled all the kids, very few would say the state championships are anywhere as important as playing their season.  If everything goes right and they get to play a season, the playoffs would be the cherry on top of the cake; they won't replace the cake. These kids would play the games in an open field if it meant getting to play. They don't need a big stadium for the championship games, though that would be nice for the fans. If it's beneficial to some media outlet to televise the games, that outlet will come forward. If not, they can videotape the games and sell copies to all interested parties. We still don't know if the "powers that be" will allow a football season to be completed. Let's just get one started for now and let the kids play.

I agree that very few really are concerned with a state championship as the goal was getting a season of any kind so idk why the FHSAA was so bound and determined to push for it 

16 minutes ago, Perspective said:

I agree 100%. 

8 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Nobody winning state this year is a state champion, Championships isn't some paperweight trophy

A champion beats the best of the best, I'll say that with any team including my own

If they win a "state title" this year I would be embarrassed to watch them act like it's a true Championship when we wouldn't have beaten the best team in the state 

I was more favorable to the idea of regional Championships and bowl games this year 

I agree that very few really are concerned with a state championship as the goal was getting a season of any kind so idk why the FHSAA was so bound and determined to push for it 

You say:

1.  Nobody winning state this year is a state champion, Championships isn't some paperweight trophy

and 

2.  A champion beats the best of the best, I'll say that with any team including my own

A champion beats all contenders that are available at that time to participate in the championship event. If the sanctioning body, in this case the FHSAA, declares it the state championship, then the winner of that tournament is the State Champion, even if it isn't your team. 

3.  If they win a "state title" this year I would be embarrassed to watch them act like it's a true Championship when we wouldn't have beaten the best team in the state 

It;s sad you feel that way. What is you beat a team in the Championship game that lost their start QB to an injury in the semi-final game?  Would you have beaten the best team in the state. Would that be a hollow victory? Would you be embarrassed to see your kids celebrate that victory and their "State Championship"?

4.  I was more favorable to the idea of regional Championships and bowl games this year 

The FHSAA has given permission to teams that are not participating in the state playoffs to hold regional events. They have even given permission for teams who lose in early stages of the playoffs to play additional games. This decision was about letting the kids play; it wasn't necessarily about people wanting to count championships. The FHSAA has a financial interest in the playoffs; it's only natural they would try to preserve them. But, I applaud them for putting the kids first and letting them start their season.

3 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

You say:

1.  Nobody winning state this year is a state champion, Championships isn't some paperweight trophy

and 

2.  A champion beats the best of the best, I'll say that with any team including my own

A champion beats all contenders that are available at that time to participate in the championship event. If the sanctioning body, in this case the FHSAA, declares it the state championship, then the winner of that tournament is the State Champion, even if it isn't your team. 

3.  If they win a "state title" this year I would be embarrassed to watch them act like it's a true Championship when we wouldn't have beaten the best team in the state 

It;s sad you feel that way. What is you beat a team in the Championship game that lost their start QB to an injury in the semi-final game?  Would you have beaten the best team in the state. Would that be a hollow victory? Would you be embarrassed to see your kids celebrate that victory and their "State Championship"?

4.  I was more favorable to the idea of regional Championships and bowl games this year 

The FHSAA has given permission to teams that are not participating in the state playoffs to hold regional events. They have even given permission for teams who lose in early stages of the playoffs to play additional games. This decision was about letting the kids play; it wasn't necessarily about people wanting to count championships. The FHSAA has a financial interest in the playoffs; it's only natural they would try to preserve them. But, I applaud them for putting the kids first and letting them start their season.

Injuries happen 

But at least the best team had a chance to win the title

Let's say a normal year it was Columbia vs Miami Central, even without their starting QB Miami Central would be exponentially more loaded than Columbia and one player shouldn't make the difference in them winning a state title 

It's different if say St Augustine ends up being the south finalist because nobody South of Daytona in 6a play and that is deemed the "best team in the South"

Again I have no problem with letting counties who can play start playing but forcing a "state championship" is laughable when nobody who wins will be truly treated as a state champ because how can someone be a state champ when the best part of the state is not gonna be ready to play 

But I'm done trying to convince people

It's obvious people have a set mindset and will probably whine that I have an opinion because I'm a mod and I don't have a right to any opinion 

This is why I wanted to quit this board months ago, because apparently since I'm a moderator I'm not allowed to have an opinion 

ColumbiaFan, you're young (or so I've been told).   Opinions are like  . . . belly buttons (generally, another anatomical feature is used in this analogy, but I'm trying to keep things clean).  I'll say it again, opinions are like belly buttons.  Everybody has one.  And it's OK that they're different.   You can share your opinion and I can share mine.   Just because I don't agree with your opinion doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion.   It just means you're wrong.  :P  JK.  It just means we're looking at this from different perspectives.   No need to get bent out of shape just because another poster disagrees with your analysis or your perspective.    That said, if you're the only one on a particular side of an argument (say, for example, you believe Madison County would beat every other high school in the country), it might be time to re-examine your arguments and beliefs. 

Regarding the playoffs, I understand the point you are making.  I've said/posted before that if the South Florida schools are unable (through no fault of their own) to participate in the state series,  whoever wins it will have an asterisk next to their name.  And if the teams in South Florida are able to play for their own championships, those teams will have asterisks next to their names.   And 50 years from now, the players from the one championship team can get on an Interest message board and argue with the players from the other championship team over which team would have won had they been given the chance to play.  And in the end, we'll never know because all those posters will ever have is their opinions.  

By the way, just because someone stops posting a particular opinion doesn't mean they've abandoned their beliefs.  It could just mean that they've come to realize they aren't going to change other people's minds, so why waste the time saying it again.  

Peace.

3 minutes ago, Perspective said:

ColumbiaFan, you're young (or so I've been told).   Opinions are like  . . . belly buttons (generally, another anatomical feature is used in this analogy, but I'm trying to keep things clean).  I'll say it again, opinions are like belly buttons.  Everybody has one.  And it's OK that they're different.   You can share your opinion and I can share mine.   Just because I don't agree with your opinion doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion.   It just means you're wrong.  :P  JK.  It just means we're looking at this from different perspectives.   No need to get bent out of shape just because another poster disagrees with your analysis or your perspective.    That said, if you're the only one on a particular side of an argument (say, for example, you believe Madison County would beat every other high school in the country), it might be time to re-examine your arguments and beliefs. 

Regarding the playoffs, I understand the point you are making.  I've said/posted before that if the South Florida schools are unable (through no fault of their own) to participate in the state series,  whoever wins it will have an asterisk next to their name.  And if the teams in South Florida are able to play for their own championships, those teams will have asterisks next to their names.   And 50 years from now, the players from the one championship team can get on an Interest message board and argue with the players from the other championship team over which team would have won had they been given the chance to play.  And in the end, we'll never know because all those posters will ever have is their opinions.  

By the way, just because someone stops posting a particular opinion doesn't mean they've abandoned their beliefs.  It could just mean that they've come to realize they aren't going to change other people's minds, so why waste the time saying it again.  

Peace.

Oh ik that 

It's more because it seems lately if I criticize a team people get all bent out of shape and say that I can't say that because I'm a moderator but have no problem with any poster saying the same thing 

Just because I'm a moderator doesn't mean that I should not be able to share my opinion, there isn't one set of rules that I have to follow but someone else can say whatever they want 

If it's wrong for me to say it, it's wrong for everyone but nobody calls out these other people saying it. They single me out and that's where my issue rests 

57 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Speaking of that in regard to Madison County, with no disresprect to them. Would they be able to hang if they were in 3A or 4A. Parity is what makes things exciting, not if one team wins all the time. 

6 minutes ago, SubZero said:

Speaking of that in regard to Madison County, with no disresprect to them. Would they be able to hang if they were in 3A or 4A. Parity is what makes things exciting, not if one team wins all the time. 

Madison would hang in any class 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Oh ik that 

It's more because it seems lately if I criticize a team people get all bent out of shape and say that I can't say that because I'm a moderator but have no problem with any poster saying the same thing 

Just because I'm a moderator doesn't mean that I should not be able to share my opinion, there isn't one set of rules that I have to follow but someone else can say whatever they want 

If it's wrong for me to say it, it's wrong for everyone but nobody calls out these other people saying it. They single me out and that's where my issue rests 

I hear what you're saying, but you also have to understanding that when you hold a position of authority or power or leadership or prestige (or even a message board moderator), you're always going to be held to a higher standard.  

From my viewpoint, you don't need to check your opinions at the door just because you're a moderator.   However, whereas others can step on or slightly over the line when it comes to rules and policies, you have to stand beyond reproach -- clearly on the 'right side' of the issue.   If a moderator falls below the standard, everyone will think that it's OK for them to do the same thing. 

Sorry if this sounds like a lecture.   Just trying to give you a little 'perspective.'    ;)

15 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Madison would hang in any class 

23 minutes ago, SubZero said:

In a 1 game situation Madison probably could compete with top 25-50 teams in Florida

However I don't think they would win 5 straight games against that competition

If they could they wouldn't stay in 1A

3 minutes ago, Perspective said:

I hear what you're saying, but you also have to understanding that when you hold a position of authority or power or leadership or prestige (or even a message board moderator), you're always going to be held to a higher standard.  

From my viewpoint, you don't need to check your opinions at the door just because you're a moderator.   However, whereas others can step on or slightly over the line when it comes to rules and policies, you have to stand beyond reproach -- clearly on the 'right side' of the issue.   If a moderator falls below the standard, everyone will think that it's OK for them to do the same thing. 

Sorry if this sounds like a lecture.   Just trying to give you a little 'perspective.'    ;)

I hold the moderator position because I can get a hold of Joshua faster than probably anyone else on the board if a situation needs it so it makes the most logical sense that I hold the position

Only other person I know of who probably could contact Joshua directly like me (I apologize to anyone if there is more but I'm going off what I know for sure since he's the only other one I know of on this board who has Joshua's cell number) is probably peezy but he isn't on here as often as I am so sometimes a situation could pop up and not be seen for hours 

And your probably right though I think some will think certain behavior is okay even if I was the perfect representation to follow the rules as evidenced by several past members (like a certain Manatee fan who posts over on rivals now) that they don't respond to any authority and will cry 1st amendment because they aren't allowed to openly bash people that don't brown nose them :D

In a 1 game situation Madison probably could compete with top 25-50 teams in Florida

If they are capable of playing against schools from higher classifications, and by their past performance, it appears they are capable, why would they continue to stay in 1A? What can they still prove at 1A; that they can beat the tiny schools of the northern parts of the state? 

Probably not , but they would beat teams higher than 25 because they have. 

1 minute ago, HornetFan said:

If they are capable of playing against schools from higher classifications, and by their past performance, it appears they are capable, why would they continue to stay in 1A? What can they still prove at 1A; that they can beat the tiny schools of the northern parts of the state? 

Chill out, fhsaa put madison there.

6 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Not quite

You see the rural designation gives teams of under 600 students from areas deemed rural the ability to play in that Classification, if it was by the FHSAA Moore Haven would be in 1a as their numbers are under 600 

In addition teams can always opt out and play where they would be assigned by the numbers alone (in Madison case it would be 3a)

11 minutes ago, Jesse said:

They can petition out, to a higher classification. Madison was a consistent 4A program, but they’ve never had a championship run like this prior to dropping 3 classes. 
I graduated from FSU so I’m aware of their program and to say they’ve always been this dominant and not true. I remember the Geno Haynes team playing Javoris James (Immokelee) in the finals. I know Glades Central beat them in a finals also. 

11 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I just questioned what they gain from playing 1A. We don't have 1A in the Orlando area that I am aware of, though it's possible some small private schools may play in that class. I believe most of our smaller private schools are 2A or 3A, but most schools in Orlando area are 5A, 7A, and 8A. Could Madison County request a higher classification or is that prohibited by the FHSAA because of the size of their student population? Just a question.

8 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Not quite

You see the rural designation gives teams of under 600 students from areas deemed rural the ability to play in that Classification, if it was by the FHSAA Moore Haven would be in 1a as their numbers are under 600 

In addition teams can always opt out and play where they would be assigned by the numbers alone (in Madison case it would be 3a)

Are you saying that they should be 3A based on student population, but they choose to use a "rural" classification to their advantage so they can beat up on 1A teams in the playoffs?

1 minute ago, HornetFan said:

Are you saying that they should be 3A based on student population, but they choose to use a "rural" classification to their advantage so they can beat up on 1A teams in the playoffs?

By overall numbers Madison is a 3a program however the 1a class was created because many small schools complained about being forced to be in the same Classification as Bolles, UC, NFC, TCA, Trinity Catholic, etc and as a result the state created 1a to appease the small rural public schools and any public school under 600 that the state deems rural can play in 1a however they aren't forced to as they can choose to play in their numbers assigned Classification

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

By overall numbers Madison is a 3a program however the 1a class was created because many small schools complained about being forced to be in the same Classification as Bolles, UC, NFC, TCA, Trinity Catholic, etc and as a result the state created 1a to appease the small rural public schools and any public school under 600 that the state deems rural can play in 1a however they aren't forced to as they can choose to play in their numbers assigned Classification

Thanks. Jesse 's response to my post was: "Chill out, fhsaa put madison there". That doesn't appear to be accurate. Wouldn't Madison gain more respect by playing those tougher 3A teams? In 3A, a state title would mean something.

7 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Glades Central, Cocoa, Clewiston, Miami BTW, Jacksonville-Raines are comparable schools to MC and they are all 3A.