Schedule Changes

Hwy17

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I think it would be same case, it would be a good win but people will instantly claim we only won state because SFL was taken out of the equation 

That's true. Maybe whoever does win could play the South Florida champ if they are allowed to play an extra game after state. Kinda like the case for the geico games. 

1 hour ago, Hwy17 said:

So back to why I created this thread; it appears that Hardee will no longer be playing North Marion as well as not playing Vero Beach as was originally scheduled.

I haven't seen anything published for high school football schedules in the Orlando area. I'm assuming they'll pick up their existing schedule and just skip those first few games that would have been played before September 4th.

From Orlando Sentinel (8/20/20)

Orlando area private schools form ‘The Citrus League’ for fall sports scheduling
By J.C. Carnahan

A set of private schools from the Orlando area have announced an exclusive scheduling agreement for fall sports during the 2020-21 school year and maybe even beyond. The Citrus League was introduced through social media posts and emails to families late Wednesday afternoon. The group consists of Bishop Moore, Lake Highland Prep, The First Academy, Trinity Prep, Windermere Prep and Montverde Academy.

Those schools will compete among each other in girls volleyball, bowling, cross country, golf, and swimming and diving. They will be paired in a weekly rotation under a return-to-play plan that includes shared safety protocols due the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

The league is still working to determine scheduling for the football season. Montverde Academy does not field a football team. “What started as a temporary ‘pod’ concept [for a group of schools] to provide the safest and best competitive opportunities for our student-athletes during the COVID-19 pandemic has transformed into a coalition of six local independent schools,” according to an email sent to parents by Lake Highland president Alfred Harms Jr.

Among the group’s goals as stated in the email were to “prevent our schools from being at the mercy of what other areas, counties and school boards decide” and to reduce the amount of travel and number of facilities athletes visit.

The Citrus League group agreement requires masks for middle and high school students throughout the entire school day. Athletes must then have their temperature checked each day before the start of practices and games. Member schools are currently working on schedules and a start date for fall sports. All programs will maintain status within the Florida High School Athletic Association and remain eligible for state series play.

Eight other local private schools announced a similar scheduling agreement for fall sports on Friday.
Initially introduced as the Private Schools Athletic Conference and now officially named PAC-8 , that group includes Foundation Academy, Faith Christian, The Geneva School, Lake Mary Prep, Mount Dora Christian Academy, Orangewood Christian, Orlando Christian Prep and The Master’s Academy.

“We firmly believe that the formation of The Citrus League gives us the best opportunity to start [and] maintain athletics for the fall season,” Harms wrote. “We also foresee this league potentially turning into a conference in future years that will benefit us in scheduling through established competition and healthy rivalries.”

J.C. Carnahan can be reached by email at jcarnahan@orlandosentinel.com .

Another Orlando Sentinel Article (8/20/20)

Players vote to opt out of state playoffs

Tohopekaliga High football coach Marc Deas let his 11 seniors make the call on opting out. 

High school football teams, like other fall sports squads, have until Sept. 18 to decide if they want to be in or out of the Florida High School Athletic Association’s revamped 2020 playoff system. At least one Orlando area football team already has made that decision. Tohopekaliga is opting out of the FHSAA state series in hopes that it will make it easier to provide its players a full 10-game regular season.

Second-year Tigers head coach Marc Deas said he left the final call up to his 11 senior players. They discussed the issue and cast their votes individually on Tuesday when the team gathered for a summer workout. “I feel like I’m going to be coaching for years to come,” Deas said. “But you only get one senior year as a player. We wanted them to have a say in the decision.”

Like so many elements of a 2020 season ravaged by the COVID-19 pandemic, it wasn’t an easy discussion. Deas said the coaching staff left the seniors to themselves to talk it over. But when five minutes turned to 15 without a firm decision being made they asked the players to come in one-by-one to share their thoughts and vote.

“As a competitor you want the chance to opt in and play for a chance to win a state championship. We all understand that,” Deas said. “But the other side of it this year is you don’t want to put yourself in a situation where nothing is guaranteed as far as games. I did tell the guys that I can pretty much guarantee 10 games, or 11 games with a bowl game, if we opt out.”

Myles Winslow, a senior defensive end and tight end, said it was an honest discussion with varied opinions.
“Some of the other guys wanted to be able to go to states and try to get a ring,” Winslow said. “I chose opting out. I think we should be able to play 10 games and have a good season. I think that’s better than playing to Week 7 and then not knowing what you’re going to get after that.”

Winslow said not being able to be seen by college coaches in spring practice followed by a long summer of uncertainty factored into his vote. His team was fired up about playing a spring game against powerhouse Apopka before the coronavirus outbreak shut down school and sports in mid-March. “Not having spring for the [college] coaches hurt a lot of us,” Winslow said. “And Apopka would have been the toughest opponent we played the whole year. That would have showed what kind of players we really are. “That’s why I said, ’Let’s opt out,’ so our seniors can still have the chance to get a lot of [game] film this year and be seen by colleges.”

The revised calendar, approved by the FHSAA’s board of directors last Friday, calls for regular seasons to end Nov. 6. Because Osceola County is not allowing its football teams to play until the week of Friday, Sept. 25, it limits them to a seven-week regular season.

For the first time in FHSAA football history, every team that signs up for the state series will advance to the playoffs and be assured of at least one postseason game. They will be placed via a blind draw into tournament brackets that will be aligned by school enrollment size for Class 2A through 8A. The Class 1A rural division will stay as is. There will be no district champions because it is highly unlikely that all district games will be played.

“With a blind draw you don’t know who you’re going to get,” Deas said. “We could be heading up to Tallahassee in Round 1. That might not be in your favor financially. Long road trips like that are going to be costly.”
Doug Nichols, coach of Kissimmee Osceola, the perennial football power on the other side of Osceola County, took time to explain last week’s FHSAA decision to his players when they met for a Monday workout. But he saw no reason to poll them on their preference.

“I explained everything to our kids and I could see it in their eyes,” Nichols said. “My players would never let me opt out. We’re going to opt in without a doubt. Everybody has their own reasons and I respect that. They’re doing what’s best for their program.”

Osceola has qualified for the playoffs for 13 consecutive years. Nichols acknowledged that scheduling is a mess with a number of school districts, including Orange County, having not yet announced when it will permit teams to play.
“Who says any of us are going to get 10 games?” Nichols said. “You almost have to be in a lottery to schedule right now.”
Teams that opt out now have permission to go beyond the regular-season end date and schedule games through the date of the last FHSAA state championship games, Dec. 19.

“It’s still a waiting game to see what the other counties around us are going to do,” said Deas, a former Osceola High standout who played college ball at Georgia. “But I honestly feel more confident about scheduling games now. This gives us more flexibility to move games around. There’s no guarantee about who would even be available to play if you lose a playoff game.”

Teams opting into the state series also are permitted to add regular-season games if they are eliminated from the playoffs. No team can exceed the regular-season game limit, which is 10 games for football.

Dating games: The makeup of football schedules remains uncertain, but we know now that none of Central Florida’s public school districts are going to allow teams to play on the first date allowed by the FHSAA, Friday, Sept. 4.
There are some area private schools planning to play football that day.

Seminole County Public Schools announced Wednesday that its fall teams can practice Aug. 31. Competition can start Tuesday, Sept 8, for girls volleyball, bowling, cross country, golf and swimming. Football teams can’t start play until Friday, Sept 18. That would allow eight football game dates through the FHSAA’s regular-season end date of Nov. 6.

Orange County Public Schools, which has students coming back to campus on Friday, has not yet announced a plan. Some have said OCPS could match Seminole’s timeline while others have said it could be awhile before Metro Conference teams are allowed to play.

Volusia County’s newest schedule, announced Wednesday, delays the start of practices to Monday, Sept. 7. Games would begin Friday, Sept. 18.

Lake County teams are set to practice Sept. 8 and have the same play date as Osceola (Sept. 25), according to published reports.
Buddy Collings can be reached by email at bcollings@orlandosentinel.com .

On 8/20/2020 at 10:28 AM, HornetFan said:

From Orlando Sentinel (8/20/20)

Orlando area private schools form ‘The Citrus League’ for fall sports scheduling
By J.C. Carnahan

A set of private schools from the Orlando area have announced an exclusive scheduling agreement for fall sports during the 2020-21 school year and maybe even beyond. The Citrus League was introduced through social media posts and emails to families late Wednesday afternoon. The group consists of Bishop Moore, Lake Highland Prep, The First Academy, Trinity Prep, Windermere Prep and Montverde Academy.

Those schools will compete among each other in girls volleyball, bowling, cross country, golf, and swimming and diving. They will be paired in a weekly rotation under a return-to-play plan that includes shared safety protocols due the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

The league is still working to determine scheduling for the football season. Montverde Academy does not field a football team. “What started as a temporary ‘pod’ concept [for a group of schools] to provide the safest and best competitive opportunities for our student-athletes during the COVID-19 pandemic has transformed into a coalition of six local independent schools,” according to an email sent to parents by Lake Highland president Alfred Harms Jr.

Among the group’s goals as stated in the email were to “prevent our schools from being at the mercy of what other areas, counties and school boards decide” and to reduce the amount of travel and number of facilities athletes visit.

The Citrus League group agreement requires masks for middle and high school students throughout the entire school day. Athletes must then have their temperature checked each day before the start of practices and games. Member schools are currently working on schedules and a start date for fall sports. All programs will maintain status within the Florida High School Athletic Association and remain eligible for state series play.

Eight other local private schools announced a similar scheduling agreement for fall sports on Friday.
Initially introduced as the Private Schools Athletic Conference and now officially named PAC-8 , that group includes Foundation Academy, Faith Christian, The Geneva School, Lake Mary Prep, Mount Dora Christian Academy, Orangewood Christian, Orlando Christian Prep and The Master’s Academy.

“We firmly believe that the formation of The Citrus League gives us the best opportunity to start [and] maintain athletics for the fall season,” Harms wrote. “We also foresee this league potentially turning into a conference in future years that will benefit us in scheduling through established competition and healthy rivalries.”

J.C. Carnahan can be reached by email at jcarnahan@orlandosentinel.com .

Would love to see some of the old names revamped, like the Tamiami Conference or Coral Coast Conference they had in SW FL

22 minutes ago, Silver King said:

What happens to schools that loose a bunch of students to virtual or home schooling and drop 300-500 students; do they change classifications?

Maybe the FHSAA shoud look at doing a last minute reclassifying for this BAZAAR season/ playoffs. 

Slow down buddy, that ain't happening.  They still in same class.  Which you want booker t in 1a or something.  How does this help small schools?

2 hours ago, Silver King said:

What happens to schools that loose a bunch of students to virtual or home schooling and drop 300-500 students; do they change classifications?

Maybe the FHSAA shoud look at doing a last minute reclassifying for this BAZAAR season/ playoffs. 

I don't think the FHSAA could reclassify schools based upon virtual or home schooling numbers. It's possible some area could have a surge in cases and go all virtual. if we're fortunate enough to get through a football season this Fall, the FHSAA will handle the playoffs. I think you can count on that. 

21 hours ago, Jesse said:

Slow down buddy, that ain't happening.  They still in same class.  Which you want booker t in 1a or something.  How does this help small schools?

Hold up Hoss, I've seen comments for years where a couple of those 1a teams claim they can play with anybody in the state. Well then, here's their chance. 

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Those small schools rather talk big LMAO

Sonta Allen from madison county with out a doubt is the athlete of the decade in 1A. His stats and performance outshines travis jay or anybody else. Others might have with D1 or NFL. But allen owns the title game , and if you watch the film. You will see him playing everywhere. I didn't say best player, best athlete.  Please feel free to make your case on who you think is a better athlete.  Please know allen played multiple positions.