Hillsborough County Slate

181pl

2 hours ago, 181pl said:

I found this online. Looks Plant has less than a full slate. Mostly district games and one or two others.

Remember, though, that "district games" don't have the same meaning as in a normal year.  There will not be any 'recognized' district champions and all schools that have not opted out will make the playoffs (blind-draw format; coin flip determines home team).  I was actually a little surprised that Hillsborough County kept the non-County district schools on the schedule for Hillsborough County schools this year; I was expecting the County to drop those games and replace them with other H.C. opponents to keep the revenue that will otherwise be lost when a county team has to go out-of-county to play a "district" game. 

I'd like to see them try to get in Robinson, Hillsborough, or Jefferson, traditional S. Tampa rivals. No reason to play Armwood this year when you can travel literally 2.5 miles and play Robinson or Jefferson. Don't understand the need for 20+ mile trek for a meaningless game. 

Looking at the HC master schedule, looks like they could play Sumner in the last week, as both teams are open and have under 8 varsity games. They would also have room for Spoto, Middleton, or Blake in their other off week, however, those teams would be over 8 games. Not sure is Laness is allowing that.

9 minutes ago, 181pl said:

I'd like to see them try to get in Robinson, Hillsborough, or Jefferson, traditional S. Tampa rivals. No reason to play Armwood this year when you can travel literally 2.5 miles and play Robinson or Jefferson. Don't understand the need for 20+ mile trek for a meaningless game. 

Plant was supposed to open with Robinson (@ Plant) and then play Hillsborough (@ HHS).   Those two teams/games got dropped.  I agree that either of those two games (or Jefferson) would make more sense for Plant this year, especially when Plant had to play at Armwood last year.   At the very least, that could have been a home game for the Panthers.   Even Jesuit would be a better game for Plant this year.   But, unless there's a Covid issue, I don't see the County dropping the Plant/Armwood game at this point, especially since it appears that Plant still has one slot left to fill. 

181pl, is Sumner playing a mixed schedule between JV and Varsity? I see 4 varsity games and 4 jv games on the schedule. I know this is their first year. Seems kinda crazy to throw them in against Plant's varsity team.

3 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

They should play Bishop Moore. Or most of the duds B Moore plays like Tavares, Leesburg and Umatilla. If Sumner played Lake County teams they would be hosting playoff games!!!!

Bishop Moore has joined the newly formed Citrus League, comprised of 7 private schools in the Orlando area. They won't be playing the Lake County schools in 5A this year. BM lost quite a few key starters to graduation and transfer, so the new league should be good for them as they rebuild. I don't know if BM will be playing traditional cross-town rivals Edgewater and Jones this season; schedules have not yet been announced. Jones will also be effected by the same Lake County schools not playing teams from Orlando.

18 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

They should play Bishop Moore. Or most of the duds B Moore plays like Tavares, Leesburg and Umatilla. If Sumner played Lake County teams they would be hosting playoff games!!!!

I won't be following BM as closely this season; my oldest grandson transferred to another school here in Orlando area. He wanted the chance to play on the same team as his brother. After 9 years of playing football, youth and high school, they have never played on the same team together. He's a senior and wanted that opportunity; his brother is a sophomore. I couldn't be happier.

On 8/21/2020 at 4:59 PM, nolebull813 said:

Sumner is Hillsborough County's brand new school (first new school in a decade).  In the Riverview area.   Just found out the other day that it will start out with grades 9 - 11 this year.  Their first class of seniors won't be seen until next year.  I would think it would be tough for almost any school in the state to be competitive without a senior class.  By the same token, I'm guessing this means that they'll only have a varsity team and no JV team.   If you take any JV team in the area and add a full squad of juniors, that team should be pretty successful. 

At the top of this page is the HC master schedule. The schedule has has them playing 4 JV games and 4 varsity games. I would guess that the majority of the juniors on the team will not be playing in those JV games. 

2 hours ago, Just A Coach said:

At the top of this page is the HC master schedule. The schedule has has them playing 4 JV games and 4 varsity games. I would guess that the majority of the juniors on the team will not be playing in those JV games. 

As a brand new school, they may need all their kids, including juniors, to play JV and varsity just to have enough kids to field teams. It would be kind of difficult to limit your juniors to only the 4 varsity games; not much of a season, and they'll need the experience to build on for next year. I would suspect that all players will be JV and varsity for this year. 

4 hours ago, 181pl said:

I'd still try to schedule them. Post-Weiner Plant had a lot of staters transfer to greener pastures. Like with any rebuild, it will be a rough stretch for PHS until the new staff gets a system in place and but in from everyone.

It would be a no win situation for Plant. Win and what did you accomplish? You beat up on a new school with no senior class. Lose and you look like complete fools. That could set your program back by years.