Opt in or Opt out?...Wanna hear posters take on this

I can see both sides to this. If you opt out you can start scheduling a ten game season past the week 11 mark of the original schedule. That means that while the opt in teams are playing in the playoffs you will be continuing your regular season schedule so that you get 10 games. The opt in teams will play about 7 regular season games and then enter the playoffs. But the opt in teams can still schedule games if they are eliminated from the playoffs untill they reach the 10 game max. It might be tough for the opt in teams to schedule games and keep players that play a winter sport after they have been eliminated. The competitor in me feels the risk is worth the reward when you opt in. 

Personally, I'd look towards opting in (or, I guess the better way to say it, is "staying in"), but wait until the last minute before I made my final decision.   Some areas may not be able to start in time to get enough games in; for those areas (South Florida?), opting out may be the best choice. 

At this point, it's probably wise to opt in if you think your team has even a remote chance of winning a few playoff games. Being realistic, there are only a few teams in each classification that have a decent chance of winning a state championship, even if those chances are greater this year because of the absence of South Florida teams. I think the kids who get to start in September are thankful for the possibility of a season right now without knowing if that will last two weeks or two months. If we're fortunate to get that two months, the playoffs will re-energize the kids with a chance to shoot for something more. If I were a coach of a team with less or no playoff potential, I think I would opt out and look to put together a schedule against teams similar to mine. I think that would add excitement for my team giving them the chance to be more competitive against teams of equal talent, while trying to complete a ten game schedule. We have seen two new private school conferences emerge this past week here in Central Florida; whether or not that will be a permanent change has yet to be determined, but it may be the creation of new rivalries that are beneficial to all involved, and I think most teams in both conferences have remained in the FHSAA. 

2 hours ago, 181pl said:

Love MC, but they play WAY, WAY, WAY below the actual level of competition they should be playing in the playoffs.

Agreed

Granted they do usually schedule well during the regular season even if it's out of necessity since no 1a team will play them during the season most of the time

I really don't know what Madison schedule you people are referring to that shows they only play teams that are way below their capability. Madison's last season schedule included:

5A Rickards

5A Suwannee

4A Lakewood

6A Columbia

4A Dunnellon

7A Crestview

Of Course Pahokee is also a 1A team but really is a 3A or 4A team in ability. And Madison played them too. :rolleyes:

Just now, Proseteye said:

I really don't know what Madison schedule you people are referring to that shows they only play teams that are way below their capability. Madison's last season schedule included:

5A Rickards

5A Suwannee

4A Lakewood

6A Columbia

4A Dunnellon

7A Crestview

Of Course Pahokee is also a 1A team but really is a 3A or 4A team in ability. And Madison played them too. :rolleyes:

They were talking about the playoffs.  But yes Pahokee has 50 to 70 players every year please look it up. They are 3A level,  the only reason people not saying much about them is because they be getting beat.  

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

They were talking about the playoffs.  But yes Pahokee has 50 to 70 players every year please look it up. They are 3A level,  the only reason people not saying much about them is because they be getting beat.  

Just wanted to remind folks who seem to think that Madison plays all easy teams. Most of the teams they play are pretty good higher classification teams. Madison, however, should be in 3A or 4A like they were before. And they were an excellent team in those classes.

18 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Just wanted to remind folks who seem to think that Madison plays all easy teams. Most of the teams they play are pretty good higher classification teams. Madison, however, should be in 3A or 4A like they were before. And they were an excellent team in those classes.

They were solid at that level they just seemed to not finish the job in the end 

1a is a easy Championship for them which is kinda why I was so adamant I would like to see Columbia opt out 

I don't want to win a championship without going through the best and without SFL, what does winning state do 

We would still be seen as nothing

But anyways back to Madison County, there regular season schedule is good (even if I think Suwannee stood out as odd man out on your previous list) but the criticism of Madison schedule is usually directed at their postseason where they play teams so far beneath them outside of Pahokee and occasionally maybe a strong Trenton or Hawthorne team but the 1a panhandle teams don't have the horses to hang with Madison and it's obvious they are cannon fodder for Madison in the finals 

I wish they would move Madison up to 1a region 2 with Taylor County but those cryers in the panhandle would probably run to independent if big bad Madison got put in their region like they seem to threaten to do every year lol

37 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

5A Rickards

5A Suwannee

4A Lakewood

6A Columbia

4A Dunnellon

7A Crestview

Accurate but so is Madison

33 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I wouldn't buy into how many players show up on maxpreps because some teams list JV and varsity rosters together because their coach is technophobic and don't realize there is a JV section for the roster :lol::D

But yes Pahokee could definitely hang in 3a like Madison probably would 

In fact if it wasn't for being designated as rural they both would be assigned to 3a

47 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I wouldn't buy into how many players show up on maxpreps because some teams list JV and varsity rosters together because their coach is technophobic and don't realize there is a JV section for the roster :lol::D

That is soooo true. No way any 1A team has 50 to 70 players on Varsity. I used to coach in the 1A classification for 5 seasons and I never seen a team with numbers like that. 

10 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

They were solid at that level they just seemed to not finish the job in the end 

1a is a easy Championship for them which is kinda why I was so adamant I would like to see Columbia opt out 

I don't want to win a championship without going through the best and without SFL, what does winning state do 

We would still be seen as nothing

But anyways back to Madison County, there regular season schedule is good (even if I think Suwannee stood out as odd man out on your previous list) but the criticism of Madison schedule is usually directed at their postseason where they play teams so far beneath them outside of Pahokee and occasionally maybe a strong Trenton or Hawthorne team but the 1a panhandle teams don't have the horses to hang with Madison and it's obvious they are cannon fodder for Madison in the finals 

I wish they would move Madison up to 1a region 2 with Taylor County but those cryers in the panhandle would probably run to independent if big bad Madison got put in their region like they seem to threaten to do every year lol

Don't know why you keep saying Hawthorne.  But yeah they should be in region 2. But them schools would go independent. 

12 hours ago, Proseteye said:

5A Rickards

5A Suwannee

4A Lakewood

6A Columbia

4A Dunnellon

7A Crestview

That schedule only is more proof that they should be playing in a higher classification during the playoffs.