Lakeland vs Venice

TL85

What kind of recruiting class did Venice bring in this off-season? Lakeland only brought in a couple of decent players, a 3* CB from Jenkins and a couple of decent players from Lake Region and Santa Fe. They have a pretty strong Junior/2022 class. Should be excellent on the DL.

The lack of spring and odd summer/Fall arrangement figures to favor two kinds of teams: 1) Really physically superior teams 2) Teams with simplistic, repetitive schemes. I'm not sure Lakeland has much of a talent edge on Venice, especially if Venice has continued to bring in players from all over. And I'm sure Venice is very simplistic/repetitive in scheme. Sight unseen, I might pick Venice. The last several spring games the two have played have been very, very close games, despite Lakeland having clearly better talent.

13 minutes ago, skyway said:

What kind of recruiting class did Venice bring in this off-season? Lakeland only brought in a couple of decent players, a 3* CB from Jenkins and a couple of decent players from Lake Region and Santa Fe. They have a pretty strong Junior/2022 class. Should be excellent on the DL.

The lack of spring and odd summer/Fall arrangement figures to favor two kinds of teams: 1) Really physically superior teams 2) Teams with simplistic, repetitive schemes. I'm not sure Lakeland has much of a talent edge on Venice, especially if Venice has continued to bring in players from all over. And I'm sure Venice is very simplistic/repetitive in scheme. Sight unseen, I might pick Venice. The last several spring games the two have played have been very, very close games, despite Lakeland having clearly better talent.

The game is at Lakeland. I know Venice returns their starting QB and Weston Wolff at WR. Lost nearly the entire o line to graduation. Defensively Venice lost a few in the secondary and 2 on the D line that I know of.

Without many transfers following a year with so many senior starters, you're looking at needing inexperienced, unproven players to emerge. Lakeland, for example, has a kid who's like 6'6" 280 projected to start at OT, but he was on JV last year. The Pouncey twins played sparingly as backups as sophomores, and then of course were monsters the very next season. This kid could be like them, or he could end up struggling to even know how to play at all, lol. I can see Lakeland being very good, or noticeably down. Hard to say either way, to say the least.

26 minutes ago, skyway said:

Without many transfers following a year with so many senior starters, you're looking at needing inexperienced, unproven players to emerge. Lakeland, for example, has a kid who's like 6'6" 280 projected to start at OT, but he was on JV last year. The Pouncey twins played sparingly as backups as sophomores, and then of course were monsters the very next season. This kid could be like them, or he could end up struggling to even know how to play at all, lol. I can see Lakeland being very good, or noticeably down. Hard to say either way, to say the least.

It’s all about coaching. You can have 20 new starters on a team and still have a successful  year as long as you have a good coaching staff who is able to patiently teach their new players. The year after Venice won states, just about every single starter on the team was gone. But they still got 1 win shy of being back in the big dance, only to be denied by the behemoth that is Saint Thomas Aquinas. My point is, you don’t necessarily need to be loaded with talent to have a successful team or a winning record. You need kids who are willing to work hard and play to their potential, especially if they are new. And you need a coaching staff who knows how to teach the content, and have the patience to work with their players and help them reach their potential. Just my two cents.

9 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

It’s all about coaching. You can have 20 new starters on a team and still have a successful  year as long as you have a good coaching staff who is able to patiently teach their new players. The year after Venice won states, just about every single starter on the team was gone. But they still got 1 win shy of being back in the big dance, only to be denied by the behemoth that is Saint Thomas Aquinas. My point is, you don’t necessarily need to be loaded with talent to have a successful team or a winning record. You need kids who are willing to work hard and play to their potential, especially if they are new. And you need a coaching staff who knows how to teach the content, and have the patience to work with their players and help them reach their potential. Just my two cents.

Hard work and good coaches will give you an edge against some schools, but it doesn't replace talent and experience. The best teams have all four going for them.

9 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

The better a program is at identifying and developing players into cohesive units, the more they figure to be impacted by the pandemic/no spring football. IMG figures to look no different; they're just going to run the balls out and put 11 on the field and dominate most anyone. Transfers or not, Lakeland molds their teams in certain, recognizable ways year after year. But, with school having been shut down and there being no spring season, they don'y figure to have been able to do much there.

1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

Hard work and good coaches will give you an edge against some schools, but it doesn't replace talent and experience. The best teams have all four going for them.

You're correct, the truly elite teams have talent, size, speed, depth and great coaching.  However I've seen really talented teams rely too much on that talent and get beat by less talented teams because they get out coached.