Edgewater V IMG

EagleEye

3 hours ago, EagleEye said:

Tentative schedule going around that Edgewater will be facing IMG over at Bradenton on the 18th next month, thoughts, concerns, predictions?

IMG will roll them. Edgewater graduated the majority of their talent last year while IMG Academy returns majority of their starters from last year. Plus Edgewater is on the road. 42-14 IMG

1 hour ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

IMG will roll them. Edgewater graduated the majority of their talent last year while IMG Academy returns majority of their starters from last year. Plus Edgewater is on the road. 42-14 IMG

Isn't IMG the consensus #1 team in the nation for the 2020-21 season? Going over their roster it looks like a D-1 college team. They don't seem to have any of the big hitters on their schedule. I have no idea if Ravenwood, Duncanville, and St. Thomas More are considered in IMG's league.

5 hours ago, EagleEye said:

Tentative schedule going around that Edgewater will be facing IMG over at Bradenton on the 18th next month, thoughts, concerns, predictions?

Before all the virus shakeup, Edgewater was originally scheduled to meet Winter Park on 9/18. Orlando Sentinel is now reporting WP will be at University HS on 9/18. Edgewater still has a lot of talent, but not at the IMG level. A couple of weeks ago, someone told me Edgewater might lose their best player, a 4 star WR to a private school in Texas; the same school where Dion Sanders son is playing QB. Don't know if that happened, but it would be a severe blow to Edgewater if it did.

1 hour ago, Proseteye said:

Isn't IMG the consensus #1 team in the nation for the 2020-21 season? Going over their roster it looks like a D-1 college team. They don't seem to have any of the big hitters on their schedule. I have no idea if Ravenwood, Duncanville, and St. Thomas More are considered in IMG's league.

Duncanville is IMG league. Can’t tell you about Ravenwood, but I think IMG will roll everyone they play this year. Except for Venice, they’ll lose by 70 to Venice in week 1. :P

1 hour ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Duncanville is IMG league. Can’t tell you about Ravenwood, but I think IMG will roll everyone they play this year. Except for Venice, they’ll lose by 70 to Venice in week 1. :P

Ravenwood is a solid team up in Tennessee, usually are right up there with Oakland and Maryville in the states largest Classification and the school is very high mark academically

10 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

The majority of Edgewater's talented skill players were juniors and sophomores last year. They did lose some experienced linemen on both sides of the ball and a very good kicker. The kicker has been replaced, so that is not an issue. I believe both Edgewater receivers of merit will be back. 

9 hours ago, HornetFan said:

Before all the virus shakeup, Edgewater was originally scheduled to meet Winter Park on 9/18. Orlando Sentinel is now reporting WP will be at University HS on 9/18. Edgewater still has a lot of talent, but not at the IMG level. A couple of weeks ago, someone told me Edgewater might lose their best player, a 4 star WR to a private school in Texas; the same school where Dion Sanders son is playing QB. Don't know if that happened, but it would be a severe blow to Edgewater if it did.

Do you mean UCF-area University or Orange City University? I believe that Orange City University is hosting Winter Springs on September 18th.

Edgewater to open at national No. 1 IMG; high schools push to complete football schedules

By BUDDY COLLINGS  ORLANDO SENTINEL |
AUG 27, 2020 AT 5:54 PM

Edgewater, coming off a Class 7A state runner-up season, will open its revised 2020 football schedule with a road trip to play independent powerhouse IMG Academy of Bradenton on Friday night, Sept. 18, according to a source familiar with the agreement.

IMG, a boarding school connected to an agency that represents professional athletes and manages major international events, is ranked No. 1 nationally in a number of preseason polls. It has a roster loaded with major college prospects.

Edgewater finished 13-2 and atop the Sentinel Super 16 Orlando area rankings last season. Its only losses were to St. Thomas Aquinas of Fort Lauderdale in Florida’s Class 7A final and in a regular season road game against Georgia 7A state champ Marietta.

The Eagles appear to be still in the midst of finalizing their revamped 2020 schedule, as are many teams across Central Florida due to the coronavirus outbreak and varying schedule changes among school districts.

The Orange County Public School system officially announced its return-to-play plan this week, which permits practices to start Monday for Edgewater and other members of the Metro Conference.

Edgewater will play its second game, on Sept. 25, at Winter Park and also has an Oct. 9 home game against Timber Creek lined up.

The Bishop Moore vs. Edgewater “Battle of College Park” game, which has been played as a season opener since the series resumed in 2013, has been rescued. That game, which was originally scheduled to be played two weeks ago, is pushed back to Oct. 30 at Edgewater.

The Eagles are also set to play Orlando rival Jones, last season’s Class 5A state runner-up, in a marquee matchup, Oct. 24, at Camping World Stadium. Edgewater defeated Jones 28-14 last September.

And it was confirmed Thursday by Bishop Moore that the Hornets will host Jones in a Friday, Sept. 18, season opener. Jones, which at one point had only a few games locked in, also has an Oct. 9 home game against 8A state runner-up Apopka scheduled. And the Tigers recently added an Oct 2 road trip to Lake Nona. That addition rounded out a full eight-game schedule for Nona.

Apopka’s revised schedule includes a Sept. 25 home game against Dr. Phillips.

Elsewhere, third-year Tohopekaliga has adjusted its schedule and will take on perennial power Kissimmee Osceola in a first time county rivalry game. That game is set for Oct. 23 at Osceola.

That challenge is part of a change of plans for Tohopekaliga, which went 7-4 last season. Tigers coach Marc Deas told the Sentinel earlier this month that his team’s seniors weighed in on a decision to opt out of Florida High School Athletic Association state series play as a means to schedule the maximum 10 regular season games. But other factors have been considered and Tohopekaliga now plans to make itself eligible for the playoffs.

The Tigers have seven games scheduled ahead of the Nov. 13 first round playoff week. St. Cloud did the same and both schools have agreed to play their rivalry game on Dec. 4 at St. Cloud as long as both have concluded postseason play.

The FHSAA’s revamped state series format for 2020 allows schools that opt out of the state series or are eliminated from the playoffs to schedule more games up to the regular season limit of 10.

Seminole will play at DeLand on Friday, Sept. 18. Originally, Seminole was scheduled to host the Bulldogs on Thursday, Sept. 17, but Volusia County isn’t allowing its teams to play until Sept. 18.

That move means that DeLand has five consecutive home games to start the season before finishing with two away. The Bulldogs had a sixth home game, against Viera, until Brevard County Schools announced that its teams will play only within county lines this fall.

Lake Mary has six of its eight scheduled games at home.

Schedule update

Here are area games confirmed by the Sentinel during the first four weeks of the season. Note that for public schools, the season start dates are Sept. 17 for Orange and Seminole Counties; Sept. 18 for Volusia; and Sept. 25 for Osceola and Lake (start times are listed if known):

WEEK 1: Friday, Sept. 4

Orangewood Christian at Foundation Academy, 7

Faith Christian at Mount Dora Christian, 7

Clearwater American Collegiate at West Oaks, 7

Central Florida Christian at Zephyrhills Christian

Seven Rivers Christian at Deltona Trinity Christian, 7

WEEK 2: Friday, Sept. 11

Orlando Christian Prep at Orangewood Christian, 7

Foundation Academy at Mount Dora Christian, 7:30

Faith Christian at The Master’s Academy, 7:30

First Academy-Leesburg at Deltona Trinity Christian, 7

WEEK 3: Thursday, Sept. 17

Lake Brantley at Lake Mary, 7

Ocoee at Apopka, 7

Lake Nona at Cypress Creek, 7

Oak Ridge at Freedom, 7

Dr. Phillips at Boone, 7

Hagerty at Timber Creek, 7

Winter Park at University (Orlando), 7

East River at Wekiva, 7

Olympia at Windermere, 7

Oviedo at Colonial, 7

Friday, Sept. 18

Edgewater at IMG Academy (Bradenton)

Jones at Bishop Moore, 7

Seminole at DeLand, 7

Deltona at Seabreeze (Daytona Beach), 7

Winter Springs at Orange City University, 7

Lake Howell at Tenoroc (Lakeland)

The Master’s Academy at Foundation Academy, 7

Faith Christian at Orlando Christian Prep, 7

Mount Dora Christian at Orangewood Christian 7:30

Deltona Trinity at Christ’s Church (Jacksonville)

Central Florida Christian Academy at First Academy-Leesburg, 7

WEEK 4: Friday, Sept. 25

Dr. Phillips at Apopka, 7

Edgewater at Winter Park 7

Mainland at Seminole, 7

Deltona at Deland, 7

Osceola at Kissimmee Liberty

Windermere at Timber Creek, 7

Bishop Moore at South Sumter, 7

Lyman at Lake Brantley, 7

Oak Ridge at Lake Mary, 7

University (Orlando) at Lake Nona, 7

Harmony at Oviedo, 7

Hagerty at Lake Howell, 7

Celebration at St. Cloud, 7:30

Poinciana at Tenoroc (Lakeland)

Lake Minneola at Tohopekaliga, 7

Leesburg at South Lake, 7

East Ridge at Tavares, 7

Umatilla at Keystone Heights

Mount Dora at Hawthorne

Mount Dora Christian at The Master’s Academy, 7:30

Orlando Christian Prep at Foundation Academy, 7

Orangewood Christian at Faith Christian, 7

Pine Ridge at Father Lopez (Daytona Beach), 7

Deltona Trinity at Central Florida Christian, 7

First Academy-Leesburg at Bell, 7

On 8/27/2020 at 11:31 AM, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Not to mention everyone and their mother has transferred to IMG this year.   And you just know they’ve been practicing a ton more than anyone else at this point.   

10 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Not to mention everyone and their mother has transferred to IMG this year.   And you just know they’ve been practicing a ton more than anyone else at this point.   

Does the FHSAA limit the amount of time a team can practice per week (I couldn't find it in the football manual, but I didn't spend much time looking)?   Or is that a county-by-county thing? 

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Does the FHSAA limit the amount of time a team can practice per week (I couldn't find it in the football manual, but I didn't spend much time looking)?   Or is that a county-by-county thing? 

IMG doesn't participate in FHSAA; they're independent. I believe the FHSAA controls the amount of practice time required for conditioning, training in pads, and actual amount of time before a team can play, but the counties control when the schools can actually start training and playing games. FHSAA gave permission in July for tams to start training, but some counties still have not given permission to start practice or games.

22 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

IMG doesn't participate in FHSAA; they're independent.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, until someone proves me wrong:  IMG is a member of the FHSAA (I'll explain why below), but they have chosen "independent" status and have opted not to participate in the state series.  In other words, they don't get put in a classification and they can't compete for a state championship.   However, they are a member of the FHSAA and, in theory, are supposed to abide by all FHSAA rules and regulations -- including the prohibition on recruiting (and, yes, I'll wait a minute or two until the laughter subsides before I continue). 

So, why does IMG care about being in the FHSAA?  Well, it gives them credibility, but more importantly, and as I understand it, most states (and/or the NHSF) has a rule that essentially states that in order to play a team from out of state, that team has to accredited or credentialed or a member of the states federation or something like that.   So, for IMG to play Florida teams or big-name schools from out of state, IMG has to be a member of the FHSAA, even it they elect independent status and opt out of the state series.  And without the ability to play these other teams, IMG would simply become a year-round training facility and few, if any, high school players would be willing to leave their school behind and head off to IMG's greener pastures.  

But, to return to the point of this conversation, IMG is supposed to follow all FHSAA rules just as if they were a 3A team from Tallahassee or a 5A school from Orlando.  

Convince me otherwise.   

4 hours ago, Perspective said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again, until someone proves me wrong:  IMG is a member of the FHSAA (I'll explain why below), but they have chosen "independent" status and have opted not to participate in the state series.  In other words, they don't get put in a classification and they can't compete for a state championship.   However, they are a member of the FHSAA and, in theory, are supposed to abide by all FHSAA rules and regulations -- including the prohibition on recruiting (and, yes, I'll wait a minute or two until the laughter subsides before I continue). 

So, why does IMG care about being in the FHSAA?  Well, it gives them credibility, but more importantly, and as I understand it, most states (and/or the NHSF) has a rule that essentially states that in order to play a team from out of state, that team has to accredited or credentialed or a member of the states federation or something like that.   So, for IMG to play Florida teams or big-name schools from out of state, IMG has to be a member of the FHSAA, even it they elect independent status and opt out of the state series.  And without the ability to play these other teams, IMG would simply become a year-round training facility and few, if any, high school players would be willing to leave their school behind and head off to IMG's greener pastures.  

But, to return to the point of this conversation, IMG is supposed to follow all FHSAA rules just as if they were a 3A team from Tallahassee or a 5A school from Orlando.  

Convince me otherwise.   

One small correction. IMG is considered Freelance not Independent. Don't know exactly if or whether there is any difference between the two classifications.

7 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Convince me otherwise.   

If they were a member of the FHSAA there wouldn't be a restriction on them playing CIF teams as they specifically banned teams who weren't part of a conference or association within the state they reside in 

If what you were saying is true IMG wouldn't be banned from playing CIF teams, but they are 

19 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

On small correction. IMG is considered Freelance not Independent. Don't know exactly if or whether there is any difference between the two classifications.

Proset, you've piqued my curiosity on this.    I've never heard of a "Freelance" classification within the FHSAA.    Interestingly, when I search that word on both the FHSAA.org and the FHSAA.com websites, the only references I see are to freelance reporters and photographers.  

And when I look at the classifications for the schools participating in football, IMG appears on the last page under the heading of:  

"Class Independent - Region Independent - District Independent"

So (and I'm trying very hard not to phrase this is a way that shouts out "I'm right and you're wrong"), but I'm trying to get more information on your comment that IMG is considered "Freelance."   Do you have a source for this?  If I'm mistaken, I'd like to know so that I can say it the right way next time.    Also, just curious, are there any other Freelance schools? 

Thanks. 

4 hours ago, Perspective said:

Proset, you've piqued my curiosity on this.    I've never heard of a "Freelance" classification within the FHSAA.    Interestingly, when I search that word on both the FHSAA.org and the FHSAA.com websites, the only references I see are to freelance reporters and photographers.  

And when I look at the classifications for the schools participating in football, IMG appears on the last page under the heading of:  

"Class Independent - Region Independent - District Independent"

So (and I'm trying very hard not to phrase this is a way that shouts out "I'm right and you're wrong"), but I'm trying to get more information on your comment that IMG is considered "Freelance."   Do you have a source for this?  If I'm mistaken, I'd like to know so that I can say it the right way next time.    Also, just curious, are there any other Freelance schools? 

Thanks. 

Check Maxpreps classifications.

After watching IMG make tons of mistakes and still crush Venice last night, Edgewater better be clicking on all cylinders. I don't think Edgewater has a chance. IMG can run and PASS (pass like a college team with college players) I wonder if IMG is allowing people in the stands (Venice certainly did) - might check this game out in 2 weeks.

5 hours ago, Legion37 said:

After watching IMG make tons of mistakes and still crush Venice last night, Edgewater better be clicking on all cylinders. I don't think Edgewater has a chance. IMG can run and PASS (pass like a college team with college players) I wonder if IMG is allowing people in the stands (Venice certainly did) - might check this game out in 2 weeks.

I watched the IMG - Venice game last night. I was surprised how ell Venice played despite the size differential in their lines. The referees basically shut down IMG in the 2nd quarter. There were some penalties,but it was kind of ridiculous that almost every big play in that quarter was called back by the referees. Even more amazing was that Venice committed no penalties in that quarter. IMG is loaded with talent, but some of their play was sloppy. When they meet Edgewater at IMG, it will be IMG's third game of the season, Edgewater's first game; that will hurt Edgewater. I see IMG winning, but not in a blowout like the Venice game.

8 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I watched the IMG - Venice game last night. I was surprised how ell Venice played despite the size differential in their lines. The referees basically shut down IMG in the 2nd quarter. There were some penalties,but it was kind of ridiculous that almost every big play in that quarter was called back by the referees. Even more amazing was that Venice committed no penalties in that quarter. IMG is loaded with talent, but some of their play was sloppy. When they meet Edgewater at IMG, it will be IMG's third game of the season, Edgewater's first game; that will hurt Edgewater. I see IMG winning, but not in a blowout like the Venice game.

As Columbia Fan knows IMG normally does not do well in either a pre season game or in the first game of the season. Since Edgewater is a step or two above Venice in ability IMG would naturally have more difficulty against them. But, I think you are going to find out that IMG will improve dramatically  by next Friday especially in their OL play and penalties. This IMG team may be the most skilled they have ever had and the reason they have been ranked #1 in the country for the 2020/21 season.

44 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

As Columbia Fan knows IMG normally does not do well in either a pre season game or in the first game of the season. Since Edgewater is a step or two above Venice in ability IMG would naturally have more difficulty against them. But, I think you are going to find out that IMG will improve dramatically  by next Friday especially in their OL play and penalties. This IMG team may be the most skilled they have ever had and the reason they have been ranked #1 in the country for the 2020/21 season.

I think IMG will improve by their 3rd week; too many penalties against Venice, though I think the refs were a little biased in that game. I only wish it wasn't Edgewater's 1st game of the season. Edgewater is pre-season #12 in the country in one poll (top 5 in Florida). It would be great to see both play against each other in mid-season form. Winter Park goes against Edgewater the following week (9/25) in a neighborhood rivalry; it will be a good test to see where WP stands this season.