Covid-related cancelations

Perspective

And, it has started.  Players from two Hillsborough County schools -- Hillsborough and Jefferson -- are under a quarantine that likely will run about 14 days because a player tested positive for Covid-19.  At Hillsborough, the players on the offensive and defensive lines, as well as their position coaches, must quarantine (according to Tampa Bay Times).  Not sure about Jefferson.   Hillsborough is scheduled to open next Friday (9/11) against Gaither (one of the two toughest opponents on their schedule, along with Armwood).   No decision yet as to the status of that game.  

Hmmm, no O-Line and no D-line?  Sounds like an opportunity to play a little 7 on 7  . . . with pads.   That's what I would be asking for if I were coach for either team. 

53 minutes ago, Perspective said:

And, it has started.  Players from two Hillsborough County schools -- Hillsborough and Jefferson -- are under a quarantine that likely will run about 14 days because a player tested positive for Covid-19.  At Hillsborough, the players on the offensive and defensive lines, as well as their position coaches, must quarantine (according to Tampa Bay Times).  Not sure about Jefferson.   Hillsborough is scheduled to open next Friday (9/11) against Gaither (one of the two toughest opponents on their schedule, along with Armwood).   No decision yet as to the status of that game.  

Hmmm, no O-Line and no D-line?  Sounds like an opportunity to play a little 7 on 7  . . . with pads.   That's what I would be asking for if I were coach for either team. 

I would just say postpone it.. Nothing is gained and no true test of the 2 teams without the linemen involved.  Also there is a completely different rule set. 

I hadnt seen that yet I wonder if John Kelly is one of the ones under quarantine sucks for him he has a big family at home.

13 minutes ago, peezy28 said:

I would just say postpone it.. Nothing is gained and no true test of the 2 teams without the linemen involved.  Also there is a completely different rule set. 

I hadnt seen that yet I wonder if John Kelly is one of the ones under quarantine sucks for him he has a big family at home.

Peezy, "postponing" suggests that the game could be re-scheduled.  Gaither and Hillsborough both have their "bye" week on 11/6 . . . the week before the playoffs start.  So, for this game, it is possible that the teams could agree to play the last week of the regular season.  That wouldn't work for Hillsborough vs. Blake.  You know enough coaches.   Ask them if they'd rather have a tackle version of a 7 on 7 scrimmage before they play their first 'real' game if there's no room on the schedule to fit the game in later in the season.   I could be wrong, but I'm guessing most of them would want the work (and the players would want the film). 

10 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Peezy, "postponing" suggests that the game could be re-scheduled.  Gaither and Hillsborough both have their "bye" week on 11/6 . . . the week before the playoffs start.  So, for this game, it is possible that the teams could agree to play the last week of the regular season.  That wouldn't work for Hillsborough vs. Blake.  You know enough coaches.   Ask them if they'd rather have a tackle version of a 7 on 7 scrimmage before they play their first 'real' game if there's no room on the schedule to fit the game in later in the season.   I could be wrong, but I'm guessing most of them would want the work (and the players would want the film). 

The FHSAA has already stated that teams that are eliminated from the playoffs will be able to add games during the playoff period (an opportunity for 2 additional games). That may be a chance to make up those games postponed because of quarantine. Orange County has put all varsity football teams in isolation effective today as a measure to avoid spreading the virus. The kids that were "in class" will go to on-line or virtual learning in an isolated location at the school. Those that were already on-line or virtual from home will remain in that status. They will not allow cheerleaders or band at games for now, and attendance at games is limited to only 2 people per player attending the game.

42 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

The FHSAA has already stated that teams that are eliminated from the playoffs will be able to add games during the playoff period (an opportunity for 2 additional games). That may be a chance to make up those games postponed because of quarantine. Orange County has put all varsity football teams in isolation effective today as a measure to avoid spreading the virus. The kids that were "in class" will go to on-line or virtual learning in an isolated location at the school. Those that were already on-line or virtual from home will remain in that status. They will not allow cheerleaders or band at games for now, and attendance at games is limited to only 2 people per player attending the game.

Why couldn't this be done in the spring?

I feel like the idea does make a season possible but it feels like it's another case of the state and counties going the extra mile that they wouldn't care enough to do for the other sports

But that's just me

1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

The FHSAA has already stated that teams that are eliminated from the playoffs will be able to add games during the playoff period (an opportunity for 2 additional games). That may be a chance to make up those games postponed because of quarantine.

Hornet, you raise a good point.   That said, and using Hillsborough County as an example, I'm guessing that if a team gets in 7 or 8 "regular season games," and then gets one or two playoff games, that's probably going to be all they play.   Whether it's because the County won't let them or for other reasons, I don't see too many teams coming back after a playoff loss to play one more "meaningless" game.   The only exception might be a rivalry game and/or some sort of make-shift bowl game (let's call it the "We Don't Want to Leave Any Money on the Table Game"),  where both teams are out of the playoffs and the two teams were not able to play during the regular season. 

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

Yeah but that is more of a pipe dream... Logistically you have to change everything and we know Hillsborough county isnt quite good at things like that.

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I feel like the idea does make a season possible but it feels like it's another case of the state and counties going the extra mile that they wouldn't care enough to do for the other sports

But that's just me

A. they didnt have their ducks in a row and B. Spring football just wasnt as important.

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

Hornet, you raise a good point.   That said, and using Hillsborough County as an example, I'm guessing that if a team gets in 7 or 8 "regular season games," and then gets one or two playoff games, that's probably going to be all they play.   Whether it's because the County won't let them or for other reasons, I don't see too many teams coming back after a playoff loss to play one more "meaningless" game.   The only exception might be a rivalry game and/or some sort of make-shift bowl game (let's call it the "We Don't Want to Leave Any Money on the Table Game"),  where both teams are out of the playoffs and the two teams were not able to play during the regular season. 

Those last two "meaningless" games could be very meaningful to a senior trying to find a scholarship to college. Too many kids are on the outside looking in right now when it comes to college offers. They lost the Spring and the Summer. If they weren't already on the radar screen for a scholarship, this Fall season is their only opportunity. With the NCAA granting an extra year of eligibility to all college football players, these high school seniors are really being squeezed. The NCAA gave the extra year, but they didn't approve extra scholarships to account for the additional players. Many colleges have already given all their scholarship commitments for next year. With attendance at severely reduced levels for college games this Fall, and four FBS conferences not even playing, scholarship money will be tight at best. For too many seniors, this will be the end of their playing career. I don't think the last two games would be meaningless to them.

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

But that's just me

Spring doesn't work for football. Are you going to have these kids play a Spring schedule, go right into Summer conditioning and getting ready for a Fall season; then throw them into a Fall football season. Every teachers association ans school board would be going crazy accusing you of putting the health of these kids at risk. You could be playing well over 20 games in the space of nine months, if you made the playoffs; never happen 

Just now, HornetFan said:

Spring doesn't work for football. Are you going to have these kids play a Spring schedule, go right into Summer conditioning and getting ready for a Fall season; then throw them into a Fall football season. Every teachers association ans school board would be going crazy accusing you of putting the health of these kids at risk. You could be playing well over 20 games in the space of nine months, if you made the playoffs; never happen 

I agree 

I was referring to the isolating idea so that those spring sports could have finished their season

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I agree 

I was referring to the isolating idea so that those spring sports could have finished their season

There I agree with you. The school boards, FHSAA, and athletic departments have learned a lot now that we are going into our 7th month of this virus. They are at least trying to be creative as they learn more about the risks of this virus. My heart goes out to every kid, in every sport and activity, that lost their Spring season to this virus; especially so for the 2020 seniors who also lost their proms and graduation. I'm not going to second guess them now because it's always easy to be a "monday morning QB". I just happy at this point that we can possibly have a football season this Fall. It should be even better for Spring sports as we learn from the Fall season.

1 minute ago, HornetFan said:

There I agree with you. The school boards, FHSAA, and athletic departments have learned a lot now that we are going into our 7th month of this virus. They are at least trying to be creative as they learn more about the risks of this virus. My heart goes out to every kid, in every sport and activity, that lost their Spring season to this virus; especially so for the 2020 seniors who also lost their proms and graduation. I'm not going to second guess them now because it's always easy to be a "monday morning QB". I just happy at this point that we can possibly have a football season this Fall. It should be even better for Spring sports as we learn from the Fall season.

I just hope this idea of doing whatever it takes to play isn't gonna be exclusive to Football, if they can do all these things to make a season possible they better damn well do it for winter and spring athletes because those kids deserve to play as much as Football athletes do

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I just hope this idea of doing whatever it takes to play isn't gonna be exclusive to Football, if they can do all these things to make a season possible they better damn well do it for winter and spring athletes because those kids deserve to play as much as Football athletes do

I agree 100%. Football players aren't the only kids looking for an opportunity to play and possibly improve on their future. They all deserve the best we can give them.

1 hour ago, peezy28 said:

Yeah but that is more of a pipe dream... Logistically you have to change everything and we know Hillsborough county isnt quite good at things like that.

Agreed.  But the rescheduling of Hillsborough and Gaither should literally be a no-brainer since they share the same bye week. 

48 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Columbia, I feel your pain and I understand the passion that you have developed towards sports other than football.   That said, from a reality/practical/business standpoint, none of us should be surprised by decisions made at the state and county level that seem to favor football.   It's the meal ticket.  If there's a sport that is going to receive special attention or consideration, it's the one that brings the vast majority of us to this website on a regular basis. 

15 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Columbia, I feel your pain and I understand the passion that you have developed towards sports other than football.   That said, from a reality/practical/business standpoint, none of us should be surprised by decisions made at the state and county level that seem to favor football.   It's the meal ticket.  If there's a sport that is going to receive special attention or consideration, it's the one that brings the vast majority of us to this website on a regular basis. 

I don't think Orange County is looking at football right now as the "meal ticket". We have a stadium that can easily seat 1500 fans and as of last Friday, they were not allowing cheerleaders or bands at the games. Attendance will be limited to only 2 persons per player; that's about 200 total fans (counting both teams), barely 10% of stadium capacity. UCF just announced they will have 25% at their home opener in three weeks. 

15 hours ago, peezy28 said:

Well it still stands COVID was fairly new... Americans still were in denial (still are really) and they didnt have their ducks in a row.

They are starting to understand this virus, how to treat it, and hopefully they will have a vaccine in the near future. An interesting announcement by CDC concerning Covid 19 deaths was on the news the past two days. Only 6% of all Covid 19 deaths were caused by the virus alone. The other 94% were result of Covid 19 and pre-existing serious health conditions, like COPD, diabetes, heart disease, etc. That's why we saw such a high percentage of deaths in senior citizens living in nursing homes. Young people get this disease and can transmit it, but the severity of the disease in young people is minimal. It seems conceivable that people at greater risk, and people living with people with greater risk, could be convinced to avoid large gatherings such as football games, making it possible for more people with less risk of death to attend games while wearing face masks. This country has to stop living in fear and allow our younger, healthy people live more normal lives.

So, here's how Hillsborough County solved the Week 1 problem:  Reminder, two schools (Hillsborough High and Jefferson High) had players test positive for COVID.  Therefore, those two schools will not be permitted to play the first week (Sept. 11 for Hillsborough County).  Hillsborough was scheduled to play Gaither and Jefferson was scheduled to play Chamberlain.   Since HHS and JHS can't play, the County decided to let Gaither play Chamberlain next Friday night.   The HHS/Gaither game could have been rescheduled until the end of season, as both teams have the same bye week, but that would not have worked for Jefferson and Chamberlain.  So, Gaither and Chamberlain will play each other in the first week of action.  Oh, and as it stands now, they'll play each other again the fifth week of the season.  Yep, the same two teams will play each other twice in the span of five weeks.  

I'm not really sure how I feel about that other than I'm happy to see the County getting a little creative and trying to get games in for these kids while they still can.   Who knows what the Coronavirus landscape will look like a month from now or two months from now. 

My guess is that counties and head football coaches are going to have to get pretty good at calling audibles at the line of scrimmage this year. And every decision they make is likely going to make some people happy and other people angry.   I guess that's why those coaches get paid the big bucks.   B)

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

So, here's how Hillsborough County solved the Week 1 problem:  Reminder, two schools (Hillsborough High and Jefferson High) had players test positive for COVID.  Therefore, those two schools will not be permitted to play the first week (Sept. 11 for Hillsborough County).  Hillsborough was scheduled to play Gaither and Jefferson was scheduled to play Chamberlain.   Since HHS and JHS can't play, the County decided to let Gaither play Chamberlain next Friday night.   The HHS/Gaither game could have been rescheduled until the end of season, as both teams have the same bye week, but that would not have worked for Jefferson and Chamberlain.  So, Gaither and Chamberlain will play each other in the first week of action.  Oh, and as it stands now, they'll play each other again the fifth week of the season.  Yep, the same two teams will play each other twice in the span of five weeks.  

I'm not really sure how I feel about that other than I'm happy to see the County getting a little creative and trying to get games in for these kids while they still can.   Who knows what the Coronavirus landscape will look like a month from now or two months from now. 

My guess is that counties and head football coaches are going to have to get pretty good at calling audibles at the line of scrimmage this year. And every decision they make is likely going to make some people happy and other people angry.   I guess that's why those coaches get paid the big bucks.   B)

I commend Hillsborough for being flexible and allowing Gaither and Chamberlain to play even though the meet again in several weeks. It won't change playoffs because every team qualifies his season.  The kids want to play; they'd probably play each other four times this season if it was the only game available. During the off season, they play each other in 7v7 almost every week; they don't care as long as they're playing.

56 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Vero at Venice is cancelled, Vero has most of its  players on the defensive side of the ball in quarantine and they cannot get them back in time to field them in time for the Venice game. Venice has already filled the date with Jacksonville Raines. 

Vero dodged a bullet there. Hope the kids are alright but Vero will at least stay undefeated until week 3 now.