Lakeland just shut down for 2 weeks

Legion37

My question is, What happened that couldn't have already been anticipated? Word is, we're talking about one coach testing positive. Is ANYONE sick? Why can't they quarantine those testing positive and let the rest play? It seems to me this strongly suggests they won't play a single game. Odds are, they will ALWAYS be able to find at least one positive case.

9 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

We are likely going to have a spotty high school football season, and students will be hard put to learn in the current environment as things change from week to week. 

We need, as a country, to do some serious self analysis as to why this has dragged out so much longer here than elsewhere. 

My girls are starting week 4 in Manatee County - no issues of note despite the media's attempts to say otherwise.. The schools need to be opened fully and we need to not be fearful men. It's dragged out here (assuming that's true) because we have freedom and my rights don't end simply because some will suffer injury or loss. Lakeland should be playing football.

9 hours ago, skyway said:

My question is, What happened that couldn't have already been anticipated? Word is, we're talking about one coach testing positive. Is ANYONE sick? Why can't they quarantine those testing positive and let the rest play? It seems to me this strongly suggests they won't play a single game. Odds are, they will ALWAYS be able to find at least one positive case.

Agreed, we have sold a bill of goods as to how bad this illness is. For some it is deadly, no doubt, for the vast majority it is not! We have become fearful men. Lakeland should be playing football and dealing with 1 case that statistically is unlikely to do anything of note.

Same here at Vero, from what I heard the players were exposed to another student who tested positive and then given the mandatory 2 week quarantine.  Without access to the instant testing and the fear mongers, this is most likely going to be a long season for a lot of teams.

28 minutes ago, Legion37 said:

My girls are starting week 4 in Manatee County - no issues of note despite the media's attempts to say otherwise.. The schools need to be opened fully and we need to not be fearful men. It's dragged out here (assuming that's true) because we have freedom and my rights don't end simply because some will suffer injury or loss. Lakeland should be playing football.

Hardee opened schools on August 10. No issues so far.

12 hours ago, skyway said:

Why can't they quarantine those testing positive and let the rest play? It seems to me this strongly suggests they won't play a single game.

Skyway, here's my best shot at an answer to this question:   Let's say Johnny plays D-line.   And on Tuesday, Johnny tests positive for Covid-19.   The test does not tell us how long Johnny has had the virus.  He may have had it when he played his game Friday night or when he showed up for film Saturday morning.  Or he may not have had it until Monday at practice.   All we know is that he tested positive on Tuesday.   In the meantime, he passed the virus along to three of his fellow D-linemen -- Steve, Ricardo, and Andre -- sometime prior to testing positive on Tuesday.  The problem, as I understand it, is that Steve, Ricardo and Andre probably won't test positive for the virus on Wednesday and may not even test positive on Thursday.   But, they've got it. 

So, while Johnny's sitting at home in quarantine on Friday night, Steve, Ricardo and Andre show up for the game Friday night.  And because they're missing Johnny, they all have to take some extra reps, which is tough on them because they're all starting to feel the effects of the virus, but they just think they're tired because of the extra reps.   By the 4th quarter, they're huffing and puffing on everyone around them:  offensive linemen from the opposing team, running backs they happen to tackle, and linebackers and DB's from their team who have been in the huddle with them (to the extent they still use a defensive huddle).  And they also huff and puff on a couple of old referees and their D-line coach (who played D-line 'back in the day' and now tips the scales at over 300 pounds and therefore suffers from diabetes and high blood pressure).   And as they're walking off the field after a hard-fought win, their mothers and fathers, grandmothers and grandfathers, and aunts and uncles all come down on the field to give them big hugs and take some pictures (after all, this could be their last game, what with Covid and all).  

By the time Steve, Ricardo and Andre get tested on Sunday and get their own positive results on Monday, they have infected ten teammates, four players from the team they just beat, one ref, the overweight D-line coach,  and two grandmothers, both of whom have conditions that make them more at risk (yeah, exactly, why were they even at the game in the first place?!?).  

I think that's the 'spread' that health officials and high school sports administrators are trying to avoid by quarantining the players who tests positive, along with all those in his position group (and anyone else who may have come into close contract with the player who tested positive), and not letting the team play for a week or two until it can be confirmed that no other players test positive.  I'm not saying it's the best approach, but I certainly understand the scientific logic behind the approach. 

21 hours ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Olympia too

In today's Orlando Sentinel

Orange County school leaders decided to shut down Olympia High School on Sunday after learning more than 150 students and staff had been exposed to the coronavirus, including at least 13 students who were at a birthday party together.

Three of the Olympia students with positive tests had been together at a “social event in the community” and some of the 136 students who were exposed had been there, too, Superintendent Barbara Jenkins said on Tuesday.
Dr. Raul Pino, Orange County’s health officer for the Florida Department of Health, said his office has determined that at least 13 Olympia students were at the event, which he described as a birthday party held on Aug. 29.
Students from two other high schools might have attended as well, he said, adding that not all the teenagers were fully sharing information. “It’s an open investigation,” he added.

Having 19 teachers who needed to stay home also was a challenge. “That would have crippled the school’s ability to function,” she added.
With the campus closed, all of Olympia’s classes moved online starting Tuesday, with the 19 teachers still able to work from home unless they become ill.
The 136 students who were exposed amounted to nearly 15% of the 920 students studying on campus. 
Health department officials use class schedules, seating charts and bus ridership logs, among other items, to determine how many people might be at risk of exposure.
“It’s pretty extensive, that’s why folks have to have some patience.”

In Punta Gorda, families had a choice to go virtual or Brick and Morter. School went well for the first week, we got a game in the Friday night with 1,000 in the stands, and play in Sarasota Friday.  JV game tomorrow night and Volleyball is playing.

In school, kids are wearing masks (If they get caught not wearing, they get referalls, then if it happens again, they automatically got to virtual school).  Teachers and staff have to have a mask on anywhere on school property. They spray and wipe down desks between each class. Doors are propped open to let students in and out at bell, so no one touches them. The custodians spray a sanitizer every night that lasts for 2 days on desks not being used. 

If a student gets sick, or even if one of their siblings gets sick at another school; that student is sent home for two weeks. They do contact tracing. So far so good. But this is going to be a fluid issue.

I think South Florida's decisions were based on trending politics- Local Democratic leaders bucking against  Federal and State Republican executive branches.  I mean how else can you explain my Miami Hurricanes playing tomorrow night in Hard Rock with 13,000 fans allowed and the Dolphins with the same number when they open? 

3 hours ago, Silver King said:

In Punta Gorda, families had a choice to go virtual or Brick and Morter. School went well for the first week, we got a game in the Friday night with 1,000 in the stands, and play in Sarasota Friday.  JV game tomorrow night and Volleyball is playing.

In school, kids are wearing masks (If they get caught not wearing, they get referalls, then if it happens again, they automatically got to virtual school).  Teachers and staff have to have a mask on anywhere on school property. They spray and wipe down desks between each class. Doors are propped open to let students in and out at bell, so no one touches them. The custodians spray a sanitizer every night that lasts for 2 days on desks not being used. 

If a student gets sick, or even if one of their siblings gets sick at another school; that student is sent home for two weeks. They do contact tracing. So far so good. But this is going to be a fluid issue.

I think South Florida's decisions were based on trending politics- Local Democratic leaders bucking against  Federal and State Republican executive branches.  I mean how else can you explain my Miami Hurricanes playing tomorrow night in Hard Rock with 13,000 fans allowed and the Dolphins with the same number when they open? 

I am a teacher as well as a coach and I can't stand wearing a mask all day. But like anything you get used to the routine. Kinda funny I used to laugh at people that I would see wearing a mask while driving by themselves. Well just last friday I got home after my 25 minute commute from school and walked inside to my house and realized I still had my mask on. My oh my how the tables have turned.

13 hours ago, Just A Coach said:

I am a teacher as well as a coach and I can't stand wearing a mask all day. But like anything you get used to the routine. Kinda funny I used to laugh at people that I would see wearing a mask while driving by themselves. Well just last friday I got home after my 25 minute commute from school and walked inside to my house and realized I still had my mask on. My oh my how the tables have turned.

you big dummy

On 9/8/2020 at 11:32 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

We are likely going to have a spotty high school football season, and students will be hard put to learn in the current environment as things change from week to week. 

We need, as a country, to do some serious self analysis as to why this has dragged out so much longer here than elsewhere. 

It's because Election Day doesn't come until November.