Coaching question

Trelle

I’m here in AL and one of the programs I’ve been watching their record isn’t great and I think a lot to do with it is the coaching, and having kids ready to go.

I know there’s a lot of current and former coaches on here so I’m going to ask the questing. Do you focus your practices mostly on the starters and the 2nd stringers or certain package guys you leave to the wayside? I’ve noticed a lot with these guys they may have the back ups stand on the side 20-30 minutes and let first team do ALL reps. The other guys pay attention and try when given their shot but honestly aren’t being coached the basics (how to get properly set as a lineman, use their hands, WR sets, etc) unless they’re the starters. I was always taught the backup guys need to be practicing and shown the correct ways just as hard or harder since game time is cut down for them and their only one injury away from starting. They have plenty of help so the amount of coaches on hand to work with them isn’t a factor. Where I’m at I will have a selection of programs to put my son in this is by far the closest school for my son to go to when he’s at that point but football is an important thing to us both as a sport and life teaching tool, I may send him elsewhere, even as a starter on the principal of how kids are being treated. What’s your guy’s opinion?

I know where I am now, we have the varsity and JV guys together for Indy with the varsity coaches. After that, the JV guys split off with JV coaches and work team stuff while varsity guys get special teams/group work. 

I think that places outside of Florida can have different priorities simply because with the higher salaries, there is more pressure on varsity coaches to win. 

I coach every kid in my position group hard. Some of my kids will never see many snaps at all on the varsity level but they are here to be coached and mentored. Hard to mentor a kid that thinks you only care if he can help you win a football game on Friday night. 

On 9/8/2020 at 8:26 PM, Trelle said:

I’m here in AL and one of the programs I’ve been watching their record isn’t great and I think a lot to do with it is the coaching, and having kids ready to go.

I know there’s a lot of current and former coaches on here so I’m going to ask the questing. Do you focus your practices mostly on the starters and the 2nd stringers or certain package guys you leave to the wayside? I’ve noticed a lot with these guys they may have the back ups stand on the side 20-30 minutes and let first team do ALL reps. The other guys pay attention and try when given their shot but honestly aren’t being coached the basics (how to get properly set as a lineman, use their hands, WR sets, etc) unless they’re the starters. I was always taught the backup guys need to be practicing and shown the correct ways just as hard or harder since game time is cut down for them and their only one injury away from starting. They have plenty of help so the amount of coaches on hand to work with them isn’t a factor. Where I’m at I will have a selection of programs to put my son in this is by far the closest school for my son to go to when he’s at that point but football is an important thing to us both as a sport and life teaching tool, I may send him elsewhere, even as a starter on the principal of how kids are being treated. What’s your guy’s opinion?

To be honest Trelle that example of practice sounds a lot like a youth league practice. Too much standing around and not enough reps. Not sure how the individual part of practice was but I'm assuming it was much of the same. I would send my kid to a program where he is getting coached no matter the skill level of the player. 

9 hours ago, Just A Coach said:

I coach every kid in my position group hard. Some of my kids will never see many snaps at all on the varsity level but they are here to be coached and mentored. Hard to mentor a kid that thinks you only care if he can help you win a football game on Friday night. 

That is my thought process as well. I grew up playing for Vero where most of the coaches wanted everyone on the team to succeed in both life and football, but more so in life, and I appreciate what they did for us. There was some other positional coaches that had nothing to do with my skills group that would come over just to mentor the kids and try to make them all around better, I don’t see any of that here and honestly it was a culture shock. Glad to hear this seems more uncommon then not and that you do the right thing yourself coach. Good luck this season!

22 hours ago, Just A Coach said:

Just A Coach, you are the type of Coach that most parents want to help their children. Also, most kids want to be coached and helped to the most of their abilities.

31 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

Just A Coach, you are the type of Coach that most parents want to help their children. Also, most kids want to be coached and helped to the most of their abilities.

That statement right there is why most coaches and teachers choose this profession. 

20 minutes ago, Just A Coach said:

That statement right there is why most coaches and teachers choose this profession. 

At some point in your coaching career you have to ask yourself? Do you want to win at all cost, or do you want to do right by the kids.If your a coach, time to look in the mirror.......

10 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

yeah but he yells at officials.  I once saw him chase an official back all the way back to the locker room.  When they got back to the locker room he gave the official a dip of grizzley and a red bull.

12 hours ago, badbird said:

yeah but he yells at officials.  I once saw him chase an official back all the way back to the locker room.  When they got back to the locker room he gave the official a dip of grizzley and a red bull.

Partly true...LOL

22 hours ago, Just A Coach said:

Coach Wilson taught me a lesson years ago:  Once a kid knows you care about him OFF the field as well as ON the field....he will play for you. 

It is our job to teach "The Lessons In Life" that comes with participating in team sports.  It's not about only the X's and o"s, its about the Jimmies and Joes.  

Finally, 

I just want to line up correctly.  

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Coach Wilson taught me a lesson years ago:  Once a kid knows you care about him OFF the field as well as ON the field....he will play for you. 

It is our job to teach "The Lessons In Life" that comes with participating in team sports.  It's not about only the X's and o"s, its about the Jimmies and Joes.  

Finally, 

I just want to line up correctly.  

Would that have been Bill Wilson? He was before my time. I played back in the early 2000’s C/O ‘04. We had a lot of great mentors/coaches from Freshman up to Varsity. Coach Motta, Ahrens, Coggins, just to name a few were awesome coaches and mentors to myself and a lot of other kids. Maybe not so much then but looking back I appreciate what they did for us for sure.

15 hours ago, badbird said:

Hey now ain’t nothin wrong with a little Grizzly! My industry is in the oil/gas fields and half of me and my coworkers diets consist of Grizzly and some kind of energy drink Lol!

13 hours ago, badbird said:

Jambun82 I'm sure this has happened often but trust me I know what I'm talking about here.  

Badbird, are Just A Coaches initials RD? Or did he used to coach at a school in Seminole County with the same nickname as an NFL team who has had a lot of success in the last 20 years?  lol

21 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Badbird, are Just A Coaches initials RD? Or did he used to coach at a school in Seminole County with the same nickname as an NFL team who has had a lot of success in the last 20 years?  lol

Nope.  RD use to post on message boards a long time ago but has retired from that and only looks at them occasionally now.  I doubt the other coach you mentioned knows what the internet is lol.  

1 hour ago, badbird said:

Nope.  RD use to post on message boards a long time ago but has retired from that and only looks at them occasionally now.  I doubt the other coach you mentioned knows what the internet is lol.  

Yes, I know what screen name RD used on the other message boards. The initials for that screen name were SB. Badbird, I take it that you know what other former Head Coach that I am talking about. lol

10 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Yes, I know what screen name RD used on the other message boards. The initials for that screen name were SB. Badbird, I take it that you know what other former Head Coach that I am talking about. lol

I feel like I'm watching an episode of Penn & Teller's Fool Us, where Penn tries to talk in code to show the magician that he knows how the trick was done without revealing the details to the audience.   :P

12 hours ago, Perspective said:

I feel like I'm watching an episode of Penn & Teller's Fool Us, where Penn tries to talk in code to show the magician that he knows how the trick was done without revealing the details to the audience.   :P

Perspective, why don't you just admit that you always look forward to my screen name, and cannot wait for what I have to say about any topic? lol

11 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Perspective, why don't you just admit that you always look forward to my screen name, and cannot wait for what I have to say about any topic? lol

Jambun, I tend to think I was actually pretty patient this time!     Perhaps I just got jealous that I didn't have the cryptic key to decipher the code you and Badbird were using.    :D

That said, I always look forward to informative posts. 

13 hours ago, Perspective said:

Jambun, I tend to think I was actually pretty patient this time!     Perhaps I just got jealous that I didn't have the cryptic key to decipher the code you and Badbird were using.    :D

That said, I always look forward to informative posts. 

Thank you, I always look forward to your posts as well.