Dr. Phillips @ Apopka

Pipe Dreams

Two of the top teams in 8A square off this week.

Both teams are stacked with talent.

Apopka beat Ocoee 15-13 and it’s defense is among the best in the state regardless of class. Their vaunted offense usually progresses as the year goes on and I believe they return a ton from last year on that side of the ball.

Dr. Phillips led Boone 48-20 before Boone mounted a comeback on some younger guys (48-41). DP’s offense is probably the best it has been since 2010 but the defense gave up some big plays through the air.

Predictions?

Tough one to call. Apopka will need to stop explosive plays from DP while DP must regain leverage and outside contain on defense. While Boone had most of their success through the air, DP had tons of trouble with the wildcat at the end.

27-27 into OT, then pickem

After the way Apopka struggled with Ocoee this past week, I have to go with Dr Phillips. Ocoee, at best, is considered a weak team that Apopka should have blown away, especially playing a home game at Apopka. I agree that Apopka normally gets stronger as the season progresses, but this may be too early for them to meet Dr Phillips. I'll say Dr Phillips by 10.

3 hours ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Two of the top teams in 8A square off this week.

Both teams are stacked with talent.

Apopka beat Ocoee 15-13 and it’s defense is among the best in the state regardless of class. Their vaunted offense usually progresses as the year goes on and I believe they return a ton from last year on that side of the ball.

Dr. Phillips led Boone 48-20 before Boone mounted a comeback on some younger guys (48-41). DP’s offense is probably the best it has been since 2010 but the defense gave up some big plays through the air.

Predictions?

Tough one to call. Apopka will need to stop explosive plays from DP while DP must regain leverage and outside contain on defense. While Boone had most of their success through the air, DP had tons of trouble with the wildcat at the end.

27-27 into OT, then pickem

I think this is one of those years when DP gets revenge for all the close games they have dropped to Apopka over the recent past. DP by 14. 

DP-APOPKA SINCE 2009

-

Winner/Score

2019: APOPKA 21-13

2018: APOPKA 38-7

2017: APOPKA 21-14 (DP was state champion)

2016: APOPKA 15-14

2015: APOPKA 22-20

2014: NO GAME

2013: NO GAME

2012: DP 35-17........ then, APOPKA 38-19 (FINAL FOUR)

2011: DP 32-21

2010: NO GAME

2009: APOPKA 58-52, 5 OT (ROUND 2)

Apopka is 7-2 in this time span against DP.

For reference, DP is 121-25 during this time span (across all games)... Apopka accounts for 28% of DP's losses since 2009. 

Darter, you'll like this one. When Hendrickson ran that long bruising TD in the final four in 2012, my friend looked at me and said "that kid's going to the NFL". I'm pretty sure the guy was wayyyy off the radar. 

5 hours ago, Pipe Dreams said:

DP-APOPKA SINCE 2009

-

Winner/Score

For reference, DP is 121-25 during this time span (across all games)... Apopka accounts for 28% of DP's losses since 2009. 

Darter, you'll like this one. When Hendrickson ran that long bruising TD in the final four in 2012, my friend looked at me and said "that kid's going to the NFL". I'm pretty sure the guy was wayyyy off the radar. 

Rumor has it that the 2012 semifinal playoff game was extremely well-officiated.

Kind of crazy how DP won by 17 then Apopka won by 18. That was by far DP's worst game of the year, and probably Apopka's best but I can't be sure as I didn't follow all their games. Apopka was unstoppable that night, I felt it in the first quarter. One of those doom and gloom feelings. 

Will DP-Apopka be streamed?

On 9/21/2020 at 5:33 PM, Pipe Dreams said:

DP-APOPKA SINCE 2009

-

Winner/Score

Trey always had the talent, but had issues with discipline and taking guidance. He nearly did not play his senior year. Personally, I preferred him as a tall receiver to defensive end. He had good hands, ran good routes, had adequate speed, and was always a load to bring down. But it all worked out. 

2 hours ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Kind of crazy how DP won by 17 then Apopka won by 18. That was by far DP's worst game of the year, and probably Apopka's best but I can't be sure as I didn't follow all their games. Apopka was unstoppable that night, I felt it in the first quarter. One of those doom and gloom feelings. 

Will DP-Apopka be streamed?

Apopka came to life in their second playoff game versus Timber Creek. They looked totally different than the team that had beaten University the week before but which had given up either four or five touchdowns to that team. Against Timber Creek, they dominated, holding Patrick to one long touchdown on a short pass. Otherwise, he was totally shut down. The whole team stepped up that night. The next week they travelled to Fletcher and did it all again. After those two games, I became very confident they were going to win state. And, despite a big scare in the final quarter of the title game, they did not disappoint. 

14 hours ago, badbird said:

If you had only knew I was on the sideline it might not have been

Lol, I can say that the Dr.. Phillips Head Coach was a complete gentlemen. The Panthers knew that they were beaten by the better team that night. I don't know how the Blue Darter sideline was, but I am sure that it was very happy when that game ended.

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I had no complaints. It was a great atmosphere. Packed house, lots of noise, competitive game, and the good guys won! :)

Yes, and the Mayor of Apopka tossed the coin that night. Not sure if the "good guys" won, but the team that executed better and scored the most points sure did. Just like the West Orange-Apopka playoff game in 2015.

4 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Yes, and the Mayor of Apopka tossed the coin that night. Not sure if the "good guys" won, but the team that executed better and scored the most points sure did. Just like the West Orange-Apopka playoff game in 2015.

Yes, but to me the good guys won in 2012. In 2015, that result was reversed. Oh well, you can't win em all.  

12 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

I was busy that night but did get to see West Orange a few weeks later.  They were not as happy that night