Central, Northwestern opting in... Columbus, Booker T. opting out

Joshua Wilson

55 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

What pisses me off about this is how come Miami  central and Miami northwestern is able to opt in But Dillard cannot.

BCAA decided to follow west palm and opt out but what does that have to do with schools individually?? About 95% of Miami schools opted out but a few opted in. And if that’s allowed then dillard should have been allowed to opt in to smh.

As I understand it, the person/group in charge of Broward County public school athletics made the opt out decision on behalf of all the public schools in the county (private schools too?  I don't know.).   To the contrary, the person/group in charge of Miami-Dade County schools allowed the individual schools to each make their own decision.   Two different ways to go about it.   Sounds like your beef is with the person or group who decided that all Broward schools would opt out.  

On 9/23/2020 at 9:22 AM, Perspective said:

The "opt out" option was designed for teams/counties that couldn't start the season when everyone else could (because of COVIID) to still get in a full seasons' worth of games.   Also, there was some thought that a team who had only played 4 or 5 games by the time the playoffs started might be at a competitive disadvantage compared to teams that had played 9 or 10 games.   So, the FHSAA allowed teams to opt out of the playoffs/state series.  In exchange, teams that opted out could continue to play games through the end of the year (more or less).  For example, south Florida teams that weren't able to start their regular season until October could still get in a "full season" by opting out of the playoffs and continuing to play other opt-out teams while the "opt in" teams were playing playoff games,, with the possibility of some sort of county playoffs or "bowl game" at the very end of their expanded season.  

The decision to opt out or stay in really came down to a decision of whether a coach or county AD wanted to give the kids 10 +/- games or, alternatively, about half the number of regular season games, but a chance to play for a state championship. 

I think that's it in a nutshell. 

Not only that, but it allows teams who don't get a full 10 games in to be able to still play if they do opt in and schedule games after they get knocked out. its the best of both worlds on this. This was the fairest compromise you could find to be honest. I don't know of any other states offering a hybrid like this. 

1 hour ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

What pisses me off about this is how come Miami  central and Miami northwestern is able to opt in But Dillard cannot.

BCAA decided to follow west palm and opt out but what does that have to do with schools individually?? About 95% of Miami schools opted out but a few opted in. And if that’s allowed then dillard should have been allowed to opt in to smh.

BCAA makes the final decision decided to not give the schools a choice. GMAC gave their schools the choice. Each county is each to their own as they say.

18 minutes ago, Perspective said:

As I understand it, the person/group in charge of Broward County public school athletics made the opt out decision on behalf of all the public schools in the county (private schools too?  I don't know.).   To the contrary, the person/group in charge of Miami-Dade County schools allowed the individual schools to each make their own decision.   Two different ways to go about it.   Sounds like your beef is with the person or group who decided that all Broward schools would opt out.  

BCAA decision applied to all public schools, Coral Springs Charter and Pembroke Pines Charter. It would have applied to Gibbons and Aquinas, but they opted out of the BCAA for this year so they could opt in for the playoffs. 

16 minutes ago, Joshua Wilson said:

BCAA decision applied to all public schools, Coral Springs Charter and Pembroke Pines Charter. It would have applied to Gibbons and Aquinas, but they opted out of the BCAA for this year so they could opt in for the playoffs. 

I'm guessing Broward public schools (like Dillard) didn't have that option (to opt out of BCAA for a year).  B)

I would surely like to know what reasoning, medical or otherwise, was used by these organizations to have certain schools "opt out" of HS football for the 2020 season. It certainly cannot be based upon current medical advice from the CDC which I believe has not stated that HS sports should be shutdown. Should these organizations not have to intelligently justify the reason for shutting down any sport in any school. Strange that it's OK for hundreds or thousands of students to attend classes 8 hours a day inside these schools but not OK for a few football players to practice and play games outside these schools. These schools are certainly not disrupting students lives, who do not participate in sports, but they are certainly disrupting the lives and futures of students who do play sports. If one school can safely play all schools can safely play otherwise it amounts to arbitrary nonsense by people who have no reasonable capacity to do such.

5 hours ago, Joshua Wilson said:

What’s crazy is that Miami led the state in Covid numbers of course followed by Broward so if any county was to have the strictest stipulations it should have been Miami. 

usually Broward and Miami usually makes the same decision as a reign.

33 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

What’s crazy is that Miami led the state in Covid numbers of course followed by Broward so if any county was to have the strictest stipulations it should have been Miami. 

usually Broward and Miami usually makes the same decision as a reign.

Maybe the reason the Miami schools have opted in is that they have been practicing all year, despite the Covid-19 restrictions. Got caught, nothing happened; just goes to show you, sometimes cheating pays.

1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

Maybe the reason the Miami schools have opted in is that they have been practicing all year, despite the Covid-19 restrictions. Got caught, nothing happened; just goes to show you, sometimes cheating pays.

Don't categorize Miami "schools" with 1 school in particular. Only school was Miami Northwestern sir.

Guys, I think the way this all went down is as follows:  

After much discussion and deliberation, and threats from various parts of the state that schools/counties would withdraw from the FHSAA and start their own organization, the FHSAA met in August and established a date for when football could start and games could be played.  Independent of this process, various counties around the state made a determination as to when schools in their respective counties would be able to open to students and when students would be able to begin extracurricular activities like football.   It just so happens that the date that was selected by the FHSAA was a date several weeks before the date that the south Florida schools announced as their start-up date.  

Because of all the other sports (i.e., Winter and Spring sports), the FHSAA was reluctant to move football to the Spring and reluctant to push the end of the Fall sports season back beyond the end of the calendar year.  The south Florida schools looked at the new start-up date announced by their respective counties (say, mid-October) and the revised start dates for state playoff series.  Then they did the math and realized that they would only be able to get in a handful of regular season games (i.e., 5 or less) before the playoffs started.   For a team that makes a long playoff run, this probably would not have been a big deal; but for all the rest, their kids would be lucky to get half the games they would normally get. 

Knowing all of this, the FHSAA came up with a compromise of sorts (one that I believe was brokered by the Board member from south Florida who made the motion that ultimately resulted in what got passed at the FHSAA board meeting).  The compromise was this:  recognizing that most schools in the state would be able to start playing football games in early September, but also recognizing that many south Florida schools would not be able to start playing until mid October, the FHSAA decided to give the south Florida schools a choice.  They could elect to remain in the state playoff series, roll the dice and take their chances on how far they might make it in the playoffs (knowing that they may end up playing considerably fewer games prior to the playoffs and over the course of their season).  Alternatively, if getting a full seasons' worth of games was more important (financially for the schools, for the kids looking for scholarships, etc.), they could opt out of the state playoff series and extend their regular season another month or so to play all the games they missed by starting late.  Each school could decide what was best for them (except, apparently, schools in Broward County, where the BCAA made that decision on behalf of all of its member schools).  

In the end, everyone did what they thought was best for them at the time:  the south Florida counties pushed back the start of school and the start of fall sports in response to the Covid-19 pandemic that, for whatever reasons having nothing to do with high school football, hit south Florida harder than other parts of the state.   The FHSAA pushed back both the start and the finish of fall sports a little, but (as an elected body representing the entire state) chose not to move football to the Spring and chose not to move the start of football to coincide with the October dates that the south Florida counties had established as their new start dates for school and sports.  Then, when given the choice, schools across the state chose to either remain in the state series or opt out to be able to play a full seasons' worth of games.   Not surprisingly, some south Florida schools that think they have a legitimate shot at winning a state title stayed in, while other schools only miles away opted out.   At the end of the day, to quote the President, "it is what it is." 

15 hours ago, MC Rockets said:

Don't categorize Miami "schools" with 1 school in particular. Only school was Miami Northwestern sir.

While I won't accuse any school of breaking the rules can you say with 100% certainty that Miami Northwestern was the ONLY school in all of SFL who practiced out of season not only this year but in prior seasons?

Yes Miami Northwestern was the one who got caught but I have doubts they are the only ones who have bended the rules but realistically even with a few extra weeks of practice I don't think the teams in North Florida could have better success against the SFL powerhouses so it's likely a moot point

8 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Hey Columbiahighfan

What is your take on the game tonight at Jax Trinity? Are you going or is the school limiting the attendance to only parents?

I'm not but mainly because I couldn't secure a ride over there

Trinity Christian is giving the Columbia fanbase 300 tickets to sell for their side on a limited capacity which I think is 50% for Duval county 

Columbia County has their games at 50% but in a stadium of 7500 seats they won't even reach that as they haven't done so since probably the Viera game in 2015 but I'm gonna see regarding next week regardless though I think Columbia is gonna win the game, TCA is one dimensional as their QB isn't as good as he is hyped up to be as I saw first hand last year once the run was shut down TCA couldn't get anything going offensively, both their top RBs are still banged up so I think Columbia is in good shape though I'm concerned with this idea of playing 2 QBs, honestly the junior is a better fit for the offense and the senior transfered out last year to play at Suwannee when he fell to third string so I rather have the QB who stayed last year and learned behind Jordan and took snaps with some of these players already plus he did get some work from a QB coach over in Jacksonville so he should be the better fit and better QB in general and had we had a full spring and 7v7 I'm sure the decision would have been obvious one but who knows as Columbia sometimes tend to make things more difficult for themselves when the easy solution is right there 

The freshman class last year was very talented and I've heard good things about this upcoming class so Columbia will be fine moving forward and I believe there quite a few solid players in the junior and senior classes as well, if Columbia County was still one school though they would be the favorite in 6a North

I'm not sure if he on Varsity yet but I believe the son of former 5* S and NFL player out of Columbia Jerome Carter is a freshman this year so hopefully he can live up to the legacy his dad did here and become the next stud for the tigers, RBs for Columbia should be good as jailen brown who has 2 years of splitting varsity reps under his belt and looked good and sophomore Tony Fulton who's dad was a great player for Columbia in the late 80s and early 90s should get good touches 

Tray Tolliver is a talented Sophomore at receiver who got reps last year in a starting role around game 3 or 4 and Jaden Williams who is committed to Central Michigan will also be a starter at WR this year 

Overall I think Columbia will do well with their 4 game schedule and I could see them winning all 4 games heading into the postseason