Noles Hitting Rock Bottom ...or More to Fall?

OldSchoolLion

On 9/28/2020 at 8:06 AM, 181pl said:

Until the failed James Blackman experience ends, it will get worse. Norvell needs to clean house. Start Rodemaker or Purdy. Who cares at this point? We know they can't win with him. We don't know about the others. Jordan Travis isn't really a qb unless you are going to run option or rpo only, but he is a nice weapon to have. Just not as a starting qb. 

Exactly! Stick with Norvell. A fair assessment on him as head coach really can't be made until after 4 season given the mess he was handed.

On 9/27/2020 at 2:19 PM, Silver King said:

As a Canes fan there hasn't been a lot to be optimistic about for  the last 15 years - The Coastal in 2017; The nostalgic beat down of Notre Dame and Four straight against FSU. 

In two weeks, they need to use that opportunity to create doubt in Clemson's mind of their invincibility. I feel good about the type players and buy-in of this season. A proven QB and an OC that brought Miami into the modern world.

W or L, they need to keep progressing this system and not have those let downs against teams they should roll. 

Miami as a program had to earn their swagger back, not play on reputation, before this transformation could occur.  It will take some time for FSU to,  given the fall-off since Jimbo.  And let's face it, With UF,  UCF and Miami playing well, recruiting isn't going to get any easier. 

The Canes have been very crisp and workmanlike.  This is a different team than I have seen in a while.  The coaches have done their job so far.   

On 9/29/2020 at 7:35 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

The Canes have been very crisp and workmanlike.  This is a different team than I have seen in a while.  The coaches have done their job so far.   

True, but recent history shows us that when Miami is punched in the gut, they fold. They haven't really played anybody with the ability to step on their throat and keep them down, but they will. I think they end up with at least two losses this year.

I was at the game.  FSU looks underdeveloped.  Guys looked small, not enough time in the weight room.  We were a lot more organized, and they did not quit.  We just did not have the horses to win that game.  2 years of Jimbo not coaching or recruiting, add two years of Taggart and you get this product.  We are just not very good.  Then you bring in a rebuilder, not a system guy.  Example, you can add Mike Leach to any program and the offense gets exponentially better.  That has shown to get wins, but not championships.  Norvell is who I wanted in 17, and I still believe he is the right man for the job.  As for the super negative talk about everyone that is better than FSU, its true, we are down.  No one else has a ring this decade though.  

As for Miami.  They look pretty good, but I still don't see them beating UNC or Clemson.  Miami has played 3 very bad teams.  We may not beat Jacksonville State.  So its really hard to gauge them.  I saw a lot of talent on the field.  I saw some of the swagger back.  I saw King have the some great numbers on those Tom Brady balls, but his deep ball is still very suspect.  Any team that Miami plays that can not stop the run, and the quick passing game is going to have real problems, in the quick game King was exceptional.  The vertical game is suspect.  I think UNC wins the ACC this year.  And I am not throwing shade at UM, their coach is one of us.

5 hours ago, 181pl said:

True, but recent history shows us that when Miami is punched in the gut, they fold. They haven't really played anybody with the ability to step on their throat and keep them down, but they will. I think they end up with at least two losses this year.

Clemson will be the test 

Until someone in the ACC beats them it's the Clemson conference

On 10/1/2020 at 1:46 PM, Cjm04 said:

I was at the game.  FSU looks underdeveloped.  Guys looked small, not enough time in the weight room.  We were a lot more organized, and they did not quit.  We just did not have the horses to win that game.  2 years of Jimbo not coaching or recruiting, add two years of Taggart and you get this product.  We are just not very good.  Then you bring in a rebuilder, not a system guy.  Example, you can add Mike Leach to any program and the offense gets exponentially better.  That has shown to get wins, but not championships.  Norvell is who I wanted in 17, and I still believe he is the right man for the job.  As for the super negative talk about everyone that is better than FSU, its true, we are down.  No one else has a ring this decade though.  

Welcome to being a 2013 and 2014 Florida Gator fan... It was painful and you never really knew where the new low would be for the team. It was especially painful as FSU climbed into the National Championship and were undefeated and in the playoffs the next year. Even when McElwain came in 2015 and the Gators went 10-2 in the regular season (finished 10-4), that team was horrible. They only played well in 2 games that entire season (Ole Miss and Georgia). The 10-4 record papered over a lack of talent and coaching. Even McElwain's last season, he just had a couple of games go against him that in the previous year luck would have been on his side. 

I think Norvell's hiring is more like Urban Meyer's hiring than Muschamp or McElwain's.. The difference as you have already stated is the recruits. Zook for all his coaching problems was a hell of a recruiter. Meyer inherited a team that had talent. Norvell isn't. It will take 2-3 years to get the right guys in. It is going to take time for the right fit. If Norvell is able to run his offense the way he did at Memphis to any success, the ACC should be scared. It might just take some lumps this year, by next year, I can see a 6-6 season and then 9-3. Just have to patience. 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Notre Dame will be no match for Clemson 

It's been years since Notre Dame was among the top tier of teams in college football

That's true but as a Clemson fan I know they tend to have that one game where they seem to finish the job kinda like they are playing down to their competitor.

18 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

That's true but as a Clemson fan I know they tend to have that one game where they seem to finish the job kinda like they are playing down to their competitor.

Yeah but normally teams phone it in against teams they know they can beat easily

Notre dame is a big enough deal that I think clemson will take them seriously and look to blast them

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

You know the coach before Dabo at clemson.  

Yes I've been a Clemson fan since I was younger. Terry Bowden was the coach. Back when FSU vs Clemson was deemed the Bowden bowl. Also when Lou Holtz was the head man at South Carolina and one of the biggest brawls I've ever seen happened 

4 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

Yes I've been a Clemson fan since I was younger. Terry Bowden was the coach. Back when FSU vs Clemson was deemed the Bowden bowl. Also when Lou Holtz was the head man at South Carolina and one of the biggest brawls I've ever seen happened 

I need proof got any pictures.  Or you will be called bandwagon.  No excuse 

54 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I need proof got any pictures.  Or you will be called bandwagon.  No excuse 

Lmao how would I be called a bandwagon? I don't need to prove anything to you. You just asked me if I knew who the coach was before Dabo and I let it be known who it was. I'm far from bandwagon. Been a fan since I was a kid.

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Lie no proof. You Google that mess. 

Why would I google that. You acting like Clemson was what they are now back then. Again I have nothing to prove to you and not gonna go back and forth with you about it. Cause guess what the way you are if I cared to prove it to you. You would say that I'm a bandwagon fan still. Again I was a fan since I was a kid end of story