Week 5 pick em results

nolebull813

These will be the games of the week unless any got cancelled or were posted in error. Don’t make the selections until it’s official 

Flagler Palm Coast vs At Augustine

Wiregrass Ranch vs Mitchell 

Apopka vs Jones

B Trail vs Ponte Vedra 

Columbo vs Mad Co 

Jesuit vs CCC

Palmetto vs Manatee

IMG vs Duncanville,TX

Champagnat vs TRU Prep (Old Ft Lauderdale UniversitySchool players)

Treasure Coast vs Vero Beach 

Why is it we only have one game each week (Apopka vs Jones) with teams from Orlando and TB area has 4 games and a few other areas have multiple games? This trend has continued since week one. Wekiva at Dr Phillips this week, as well as Lake Brantley at Seminole, Osceola at St Cloud, and Winter Park at Lake Nona; all good competitive games.

2 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Why is it we only have one game each week (Apopka vs Jones) with teams from Orlando and TB area has 4 games and a few other areas have multiple games? This trend has continued since week one. Wekiva at Dr Phillips this week, as well as Lake Brantley at Seminole, Osceola at St Cloud, and Winter Park at Lake Nona; all good competitive games.

All those games I would honestly be surprised if they aren't decided by double digits 

Apopka vs Jones is the only top level matchup I saw 

Dr Phillips should win by 2 TDs unless I ranked them way too high

Same with Osceola

Seminole should win by at least 14 

Winter Park might be decent but I still like them by 10 there 

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

All those games I would honestly be surprised if they aren't decided by double digits 

Same with Osceola

I agree with you on this. None of those games jump out at me besides apopka vs jones. Dr.P and Wekiva would have in years past but not now.

Osceola vs St. Cloud is basically the same as Cocoa vs Melbourne 

23 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Overall 

@fishspinners 44-6

@SubZero 41-9

@Joshua Wilson 39-11

@muckboy561 38-12

@nolebull813 37-13

@ColumbiaHighFan2017class 36-14

@EagleEye 31-9

@VeniceIndiansFootball 31-19

@KeemD321 29-21

@HornetFan 28-12

@Hwy17 28-22

@Mr. 727 9-1

@peezy28 5-5

Dang 44-6 is impressive but I'm still winning.  Covid-19 2020 Champs

On 10/5/2020 at 3:27 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Same with Osceola

Jesuit should be a 2 TD favorite over CCC, but they're on there. Trying to keep up with all the Central Florida teams is difficult enough, but it makes it increasingly more difficult when other areas of the state have multiple games every week and we're expected to be knowledgeable on their regions. When South Florida starts up, we'll probably see multiple South Florida games every week. Just looking for some balance in games to be selected.

On 10/5/2020 at 3:22 PM, HornetFan said:

You sound like a blind homer void of any rational and objective thinking. 

Those games you listed will all be blowouts by halftime.  you literally picked four of the biggest mismatched games there are 

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

You sound like a blind homer void of any rational and objective thinking. 

Those games you listed will all be blowouts by halftime.  you literally picked four of the biggest mismatched games there are 

If that's the case, there are probably 40-50 HS teams in and around the surrounding areas of Orlando. There should be more than Jones - Apopka that may be decided by a single digit margin that could end up on the weekly list. 

18 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

If that's the case, there are probably 40-50 HS teams in and around the surrounding areas of Orlando. There should be more than Jones - Apopka that may be decided by a single digit margin that could end up on the weekly list. 

Those most likely aren't top games for this week. Atleast your area has a top game this week. Brevard won't have any big game til the next week or so when the top 4 in division one starts playing each other

Here are the teams that have multiple appearances, their number in brackets, in the weekly picks so far. Orlando (Central Florida ) will be playing full schedules for their 4th straight week. South Sumter is only Central Florida school with 2 appearances and they are at least twenty miles north of Orlando. Just looking for some balance.

American Heritage (3)                       Broward County
Bartram Trail (3)                                 Northeast Florida
Bloomingdale (2)                               Tampa Bay Area
Bishop Verot (3)                                 Southwest Florida
Bolles (2)                                             Northeast Florida
Chaminade-Madonna (3)                  Broward County
Clearwater (3)                                     Tampa Bay Area
Clearwater Central Catholic (2)        Tampa Bay Area
Fort Myers (2)                                      Southwest Florida
Florida High (2)                                  Tallahassee - North Florida
Fletcher (2)                                         Northeast Florida
Fleming Island (2)                              Northeast Florida
IMG Academy (2)                              Tampa Bay Area
Jesuit (2)                                              Tampa Bay Area
Lake Gibson (2)                                    Lakeland
Madison County (2)                            Tallahassee - North Florida
South Sumter (2)                                 Central Florida
St. Augustine (2)                                  St Augustine
Trinity Christian (2)                             Northeast Florida
Tampa Catholic  (3)                            Tampa Bay Area
Tampa Bay Tech (2)                            Tampa bay Area
Venice (2)                                              Southwest Florida

1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

There will be close games in the Orlando area but it will be two teams that aren’t very good at football. Not good enough to even talk about on a state board. 

On 10/5/2020 at 7:25 AM, nolebull813 said:

These will be the games of the week unless any got cancelled or were posted in error. Don’t make the selections until it’s official 

Flagler Palm Coast vs At Augustine

Wiregrass Ranch vs Mitchell 

Apopka vs Jones

B Trail vs Ponte Vedra 

Columbo vs Mad Co 

Jesuit vs CCC

Palmetto vs Manatee

IMG vs Duncanville,TX

Champagnat vs TRU Prep (Old Ft Lauderdale UniversitySchool players)

Treasure Coast vs Vero Beach 

All of these games are bigger than Venice at Lakeland? That strikes me as odd. You can't tell me that getting blown out by IMG-not a HS team- suddenly means teams like Mitchell and Flagler Palm Coast are better. I assume you either missed that the game was happening, or are trolling.

Just now, skyway said:

All of these games are bigger than Venice at Lakeland? That strikes me as odd. You can't tell me that getting blown out by IMG-not a HS team- suddenly means teams like Mitchell and Flagler Palm Coast are better. I assume you either missed that the game was happening, or are trolling.

Honestly I didn’t see that game on the original schedule I viewed. It was overlooked in error. That’s why I said this wasn’t the final list. Just something to go off of 

1 minute ago, skyway said:

Also, tried picking games that are competitive. I picked Wiregrass Ranch/Mitchell because this will be Pasco County’s best matchup in years. Both teams have been talking trash about the other about who is the best in the County. There is no love lost and there will be major bragging rights on the line. 

in the last 5 year at least, there hasn’t been one game between Pasco County teams that would have been worthy of a pick em game. This so happens to be the one. There won’t be anymore I can bet you that. Lol. 

14 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

The game I would take off to add Lakeland/Venice would be Palmetto vs Manatee. 

Manatee is a name only and their coach isn’t very good at his profession. They are a shell of their former self. Palmetto is gonna roll them. That’s the one that will get the ax. 

You said the games I suggested from Orlando area weren't close enough games to merit making the list, but you put Palmetto vs Manatee on there. Now, you say Manatee is a shell of it's old self with poor coaching and will get blown out. It seems like a different standard is being applied. Then, you say a game between two no-names in Pasco County is worthy of making the list. Orlando sent three very competitive schools to the state finals last year in 8A, 7A, and 5A, but still the area gets no respect. Let's guess at a meaningless Pasco County game instead (another Tampa Bay area game, like there haven't been enough).

2 hours ago, HornetFan said:

You said the games I suggested from Orlando area weren't close enough games to merit making the list, but you put Palmetto vs Manatee on there. Now, you say Manatee is a shell of it's old self with poor coaching and will get blown out. It seems like a different standard is being applied. Then, you say a game between two no-names in Pasco County is worthy of making the list. Orlando sent three very competitive schools to the state finals last year in 8A, 7A, and 5A, but still the area gets no respect. Let's guess at a meaningless Pasco County game instead (another Tampa Bay area game, like there haven't been enough).

Calm down tiger.  When I made that list it was super quick with one scan and it was a preliminary list that meant nothing.  I even specified that it is not a final list by any stretch. 

The pick em is supposed to be top teams playing each other, and when you can’t find two powers playing, you try and find competitive games with good teams. 

You were complaining about Orlando not being represented but there is only a handful of quality teams.  And when they play each other they get put on.  But when they play less quality opponents that’s a waste of a slot. 

NFC vs Florida High has got to be the worst game of the year on a pick em. 

I would like to know the rhyme and reason on how these games get picked.  Is there some exclusive club that you only get picked because the game is being highlighted by some random media member in the state? 

I would like to know the reasoning behind picking these games 

3 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Calm down tiger.  When I made that list it was super quick with one scan and it was a preliminary list that meant nothing.  I even specified that it is not a final list by any stretch. 

The pick em is supposed to be top teams playing each other, and when you can’t find two powers playing, you try and find competitive games with good teams. 

You were complaining about Orlando not being represented but there is only a handful of quality teams.  And when they play each other they get put on.  But when they play less quality opponents that’s a waste of a slot. 

You say "You were complaining about Orlando not being represented but there is only a handful of quality teams".  That statement is ridiculous. Apopka, Jones, and Edgewater all reached state championship finals last year. Seminole is every bit as good as those three teams. Timber Creek, Dr Phillips, Winter Park, Bishop Moore, Wekiva, Osceola, just to mention a few, all field very good teams. The vast majority of Central Florida / Orlando area teams compete in 8A, 7A, and 5A, three of the four largest and strongest classifications in Florida. 

19 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

You say "You were complaining about Orlando not being represented but there is only a handful of quality teams".  That statement is ridiculous. Apopka, Jones, and Edgewater all reached state championship finals last year. Seminole is every bit as good as those three teams. Timber Creek, Dr Phillips, Winter Park, Bishop Moore, Wekiva, Osceola, just to mention a few, all field very good teams. The vast majority of Central Florida / Orlando area teams compete in 8A, 7A, and 5A, three of the four largest and strongest classifications in Florida. 

Yeah. Seminole, Osceola, Dr Pepper, Apopka, Jones and Edgewater are all good teams. The rest are average or worse. Just because someone plays a good team close doesn’t make them automatically a good team. 

so out of those 6 teams, if any are playing each other, that game would be on the list no doubt. 

teams like Bishop Less, Winter Wonderland Park, Wekanda, Timberland Boot Creek are not at that level so any of those teams playing the teams listed above is a waste of a pick em game 

6 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Yeah. Seminole, Osceola, Dr Pepper, Apopka, Jones and Edgewater are all good teams. The rest are average or worse. Just because someone plays a good team close doesn’t make them automatically a good team. 

so out of those 6 teams, if any are playing each other, that game would be on the list no doubt. 

teams like Bishop Less, Winter Wonderland Park, Wekanda, Timberland Boot Creek are not at that level so any of those teams playing the teams listed above is a waste of a pick em game 

I lived in Tampa Bay area for ten years and saw the quality of play in that area. The only teams that I saw that could compete with Orlando area schools were Manatee, Sarasota Riverview, and Bradenton Southeast, once in a while Auburndale had a good team, but not always. The City of Tampa teams were weak at best; Jesuit feasts on bottom dwellers every year. Lakewood was one of very few decent teams in Pinellas County. Yet, the list is filled with mediocre Tampa Bay teams just about every week.

12 hours ago, HornetFan said:

I lived in Tampa Bay area for ten years and saw the quality of play in that area. The only teams that I saw that could compete with Orlando area schools were Manatee, Sarasota Riverview, and Bradenton Southeast, once in a while Auburndale had a good team, but not always. The City of Tampa teams were weak at best; Jesuit feasts on bottom dwellers every year. Lakewood was one of very few decent teams in Pinellas County. Yet, the list is filled with mediocre Tampa Bay teams just about every week.

Armwood and Plant for about 15 years would have taken Orlando area teams to the woodshed. 

Lol. Auburndale. Come on man. You are just naming random teams. The quality floats from years to years too 

Wekiva  has always been a laughing stock homecoming opponent it until a few years ago when they were able to stock pile talent. They had a 2 year burst and are now back to reality. Jones and Edgewater recently emerged. 

Apopka and Dr Phillips are probably the 2 teams that have been consistent for long periods of time. 

Same with Osceola but they are not even in Orlando that would be like Tampa taking credit for Lakeland 

8 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Armwood and Plant for about 15 years would have taken Orlando area teams to the woodshed. 

Lol. Auburndale. Come on man. You are just naming random teams. The quality floats from years to years too 

Wekiva  has always been a laughing stock homecoming opponent it until a few years ago when they were able to stock pile talent. They had a 2 year burst and are now back to reality. Jones and Edgewater recently emerged. 

Apopka and Dr Phillips are probably the 2 teams that have been consistent for long periods of time. 

Same with Osceola but they are not even in Orlando that would be like Tampa taking credit for Lakeland 

Armwood and Plant are ancient history, and they made that history against sub-par Hillsborough County teams.

Wekiva has been tapping into talent that normally would have gone to Apopka. The Apopka youth football leagues are a great source of talent for that area.

If it weren't for the attractions in Orlando, half the people of Osceola County wouldn't have jobs. Osceola borders Orange County (Orlando) and Osceola teams play against Orange County schools. 

I've lived in both areas and am basing my opinion on many years of watching high school football in both areas.