Quantcast

Venice @ Lakeland and Venice in 7A playoffs

I've had a hunch this is Venice's best team ever. I don't know for sure, which is why I call it a hunch. They've never been as thoroughly dominating as they have been this year. They got a transfer QB from Illinois a couple weeks before the season who now seems to be fitting in very well. And the outcome on national TV against IMG is completely meaningless, as I'm talking about high school football instead of whatever IMG is.

Lakeland has some very nice pieces, but they are probably a year away from a peak where they are a state champion, nationally ranked etc. They've had far less practice and game time than this Venice team.

I like Venice to win this game, and I'll say by a score of 28-16. I also think Venice will win 7A this year. And I say that with a huge asterisk. I think the playoffs will be a sham this year. I think Venice is gaming the Covid testing system, won't cancel a single game all year, and may win 7A in part because teams like STA, Edgewater or Lakeland get "Corona'd" out of the playoffs.

3 hours ago, skyway said:

I've had a hunch this is Venice's best team ever. I don't know for sure, which is why I call it a hunch. They've never been as thoroughly dominating as they have been this year. They got a transfer QB from Illinois a couple weeks before the season who now seems to be fitting in very well. And the outcome on national TV against IMG is completely meaningless, as I'm talking about high school football instead of whatever IMG is.

Lakeland has some very nice pieces, but they are probably a year away from a peak where they are a state champion, nationally ranked etc. They've had far less practice and game time than this Venice team.

I like Venice to win this game, and I'll say by a score of 28-16. I also think Venice will win 7A this year. And I say that with a huge asterisk. I think the playoffs will be a sham this year. I think Venice is gaming the Covid testing system, won't cancel a single game all year, and may win 7A in part because teams like STA, Edgewater or Lakeland get "Corona'd" out of the playoffs.

Just hope everyone can stay safe. I was the biggest opponent of high schools playing football this year, and I still don’t agree with it. As long as people social distance and wear masks, and follow the correct guidelines when positive cases do occur, there will be no issue.

1 hour ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Just hope everyone can stay safe. I was the biggest opponent of high schools playing football this year, and I still don’t agree with it. As long as people social distance and wear masks, and follow the correct guidelines when positive cases do occur, there will be no issue.

There needs to be a set of rules around cancelling games that everyone needs to abide by. And we know that, due to the nature of testing and reporting on cases, there will not be a statewide set of rules. Sarasota County may be much more lenient in forcing cancellations than, say Broward or Orange counties. That Venice already has five games played, never having been forced out of playing and even able to fill an opening created by another school (Vero Beach) having to cancel, is telling. 

But, Venice looks pretty loaded by high school standards anyway. I'm not sure anybody in the state playoffs will be able to beat them anyway. The IMG game on national TV has likely led people to sell them short. And that's pretty silly given the fact that IMG is not a high school team.

4 hours ago, skyway said:

I watched the IMG - Venice game and the IMG - Edgewater game; both Venice and Edgewater played well, but IMG is just too loaded. I also attended the Edgewater - Winter Park game; WP is a very good team, but Edgewater was clearly the superior team in size, talent, and speed. They also have an excellent coaching staff that recruits very well. I don't know how good Lakeland will be this year, but STA is always very good. I can't see Venice beating STA. Lakeland and Edgewater may get Covid' out of playoffs. Edgewater had only two positive tests and Orange County shut them down for 2 weeks; that appeared kind of harsh, but Covid is very political in Central Florida, especially in Orlando and Orange County. If Edgewater makes it to playoffs without being Covid' by the county, I would expect a STA - Edgewater rematch in final.

Of the teams mentioned, and assuming no Covid interventions, Edgewater has the easiest path to the 7A finals.  Viera might be the next toughest team in Region 2.  Niceville or Fleming Island will likely be waiting in the state semifinals as the Region 1 champ.

The bottom half of the bracket is up for grabs.  I'll give the nod to the University of STA, knowing that they'll have to knock off Venice at some point just to win Region 4 and make it to the semis.   Then, they'll have to beat the team that comes out of the Region 3 gauntlet.  Region 3 has three teams that could win the regional title (Armwood, Bloomingdale and Lakeland), with two more that could possibly squeeze in if the stars were to align (TBT and Plant City).     In theory, Armwood could play Lakeland in the opening round this year and one of those teams will be sitting at home watching the rest of the playoffs.  Whichever team that comes out on top in Region 3 will be battle-tested, but could be player-depleted by the time they face the STA/Venice winner. 

Speaking of opening round match-ups, last week the FHSAA suggested that they might know/release the playoff match-ups this week (since they all are being done by 'blind draw').  Any word on that? 

On 10/6/2020 at 4:35 PM, Perspective said:

Of the teams mentioned, and assuming no Covid interventions, Edgewater has the easiest path to the 7A finals.  Viera might be the next toughest team in Region 2.  Niceville or Fleming Island will likely be waiting in the state semifinals as the Region 1 champ.

The bottom half of the bracket is up for grabs.  I'll give the nod to the University of STA, knowing that they'll have to knock off Venice at some point just to win Region 4 and make it to the semis.   Then, they'll have to beat the team that comes out of the Region 3 gauntlet.  Region 3 has three teams that could win the regional title (Armwood, Bloomingdale and Lakeland), with two more that could possibly squeeze in if the stars were to align (TBT and Plant City).     In theory, Armwood could play Lakeland in the opening round this year and one of those teams will be sitting at home watching the rest of the playoffs.  Whichever team that comes out on top in Region 3 will be battle-tested, but could be player-depleted by the time they face the STA/Venice winner. 

Speaking of opening round match-ups, last week the FHSAA suggested that they might know/release the playoff match-ups this week (since they all are being done by 'blind draw').  Any word on that? 

Agree on Viera being toughest team in Region 2 , and they lost too many to transfer. QB Norton and twins -Housey  RB & CB went to Rockledge, WR Mallinger went to Cocoa, DE Barfield  to Eau Gallie and RB Johnson to ??. Sad because without that D1 talent they have been dominating in first 3 games. Could of challenged Edgewater with it, no chance without it.

On 10/6/2020 at 2:30 PM, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Very nice win. Boy that score  looks familiar! I hearby grant you permission to brag about beating Lakeland for the next two years!!

3 hours ago, roygod said:

Very nice win. Boy that score  looks familiar! I hearby grant you permission to brag about beating Lakeland for the next two years!!

I just want the kids and fans to stay healthy and Covid free. This season is a waste. We’ve already buried a teacher in Sarasota and another athletic director. Just hope everyone stays safe.

22 hours ago, Legion37 said:

Venice is certainly an excellent team, very few smash Lakeland at Lakeland like that. Good luck to them the rest of the way. 

I agree....... I could have just "liked" the comment but I'm trying to get my post count up enough to be considered an "ELITE POSTER".