FHSAA Playoff Pairings

Joshua Wilson

Josh, were you involved in the process at all?   I don't want to be unduly critical, but I'm having an extremely hard time believing that the brackets are the result of a "computer-generated blind draw."   See my comments on the "Playoffs" thread for a more thorough explanation.  

I'm willing to accept that the results were determined by a computer, but it would appear that the computer got some instruction along the way (perhaps based on rankings or power ratings of some sort). 

Do you have any information you can share?

3 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Josh, were you involved in the process at all?   I don't want to be unduly critical, but I'm having an extremely hard time believing that the brackets are the result of a "computer-generated blind draw."   See my comments on the "Playoffs" thread for a more thorough explanation.  

I'm willing to accept that the results were determined by a computer, but it would appear that the computer got some instruction along the way (perhaps based on rankings or power ratings of some sort). 

Nope, I have zero role, nor do I know how the blind draw went down. 

10 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Dr. Phillips and Palmetto got a horrible deal in 8a, Region 3. Especially Dp, since they have to travel to Miami Palmetto for the play in game. If they can pull off the win in that one, then they deserve to make it to the title game.  

Yeah has miami palmetto always been good???. I don't really know them 

20 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Yeah has miami palmetto always been good???. I don't really know them 

Not generally but they are loaded this year

I see some similarities to Southridge in 2016 who despite having some success in the past basically came out of nowhere to win a state title and Miami Palmetto could do the same in 8a

49 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Not generally but they are loaded this year

I see some similarities to Southridge in 2016 who despite having some success in the past basically came out of nowhere to win a state title and Miami Palmetto could do the same in 8a

So explain Florida high beating yall please.  Columbia is nothing with out bell, and smith. You agree finally. 

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

There's no way the brackets were a blind draw. It appears that too many strong teams were given byes in the first round for anyone to believe the person pulling those names out of the hat wasn't peaking at the names. If it was a blind draw, I want him to pick lottery numbers for me this weekend.

19 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

There's no way the brackets were a blind draw. It appears that too many strong teams were given byes in the first round for anyone to believe the person pulling those names out of the hat wasn't peaking at the names. If it was a blind draw, I want him to pick lottery numbers for me this weekend.

Then how does Leon and Chiles get byes while Niceville and Fleming Island have to play in the play in week?

Yes some of these matchups in the brackets are very convenient but if they are really picking the matchups and not random draw they clearly have no clue who the top teams in the region are 

12 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Then how does Leon and Chiles get byes while Niceville and Fleming Island have to play in the play in week?

Yes some of these matchups in the brackets are very convenient but if they are really picking the matchups and not random draw they clearly have no clue who the top teams in the region are 

The top teams from year to year rarely change. It's not that difficult to predict the teams that will be find themselves at the top of the standings. 

5 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

The top teams from year to year rarely change. It's not that difficult to predict the teams that will be find themselves at the top of the standings. 

And yet I could point to multiple examples throughout the brackets where they clearly missed on it 

Again if this wasn't blind draw then the fhsaa did a laughable attempt at seeding, so as unbelievable as it is I hope for their sake it was somehow a blind draw 

25 minutes ago, Pipe Dreams said:

DP and Palmetto, probably both top 5 in 8A, playing in the first round is brutal. Could have a been a title game if things went normal this year. 

This was a terrible draw for Dp. A game like this should be played at a neutral site or should be in a much later round. If Dp. wins this game, I hope they make it to the final. 

5 hours ago, Perspective said:

A brief glance suggests high priority was given to proximity of schools.

7 minutes ago, skyway said:

A brief glance suggests high priority was given to proximity of schools.

If that were so why not put Columbia vs Gainesville as play in game (a rivalry game that was taken last week because of covid issues) instead of aligning them in opposite brackets playing teams over a hour away?

And that's just one of plenty of examples I could find if I really cared enough to write them all down where it showed no real consistent approach for the "blind draws"

As an Osceola/Orange County guy, I look at the brackets and think that there's no way they were "randomly generated." Look at that region in 7A. Weikiva, Edgewater, Viera and Wiregrass don't have to play each other until Round 3. While I get that a bracket should have the best teams advancing, random chance would dictate there would be more powerhouse matchups early in the playoffs than we're seeing. Osceola and Apopka getting byes seems appropriate though in 8A. They should have those.

We can nit-pick all we want regarding the playoff format.  Heck, we do that no matter what the format is.  But at least we have one this year. 

Whether intended or not, by instituting a playoff system that allowed every team that 'opted in' to make the playoffs, I think a lot more teams chose to stay in than might otherwise have been the case.  And by "stay in," I mean both stay in the regular season and stay in the FHSAA.     And those who 'opted out' will, presumably, receive the benefit of extra games.  But I give the FHSAA credit for coming up with a system on the fly during a time in August when it wasn't clear that there would even be a football season.  

Just so that I'm clear, my only observation/criticism has to do with what the FHSAA said they were going to do and what they actually did do.   They said the brackets were going to be completely random.  When I looked at the 7A and 8A brackets, they didn't look random to me.   Last night I read that they FHSAA stated that they used a "computer program" and then did "coin flips" ahead of time to determine the home team and visiting team for each game.  I can buy the coin flip explanation, although I'm pretty sure there's been a computer program for that since, oh, I don't know, perhaps since the second or third computer program was written.   Admittedly, it has been quite a while since I took my one and only computer class.  But,  I seem to recall that how you set the program up (and what information gets considered) goes a long way in determining what comes out the back end.  If the program took into account team records, team power rankings, team geographic locations, team performances in prior years, or any other factors other than how to spell the team's name, then it wasn't truly a random process.   What's the old adage?   Don't pee on my back and tell me it's raining.  Just be transparent.  That's all I'm asking. 

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

We can nit-pick all we want regarding the playoff format.  Heck, we do that no matter what the format is.  But at least we have one this year. 

Whether intended or not, by instituting a playoff system that allowed every team that 'opted in' to make the playoffs, I think a lot more teams chose to stay in than might otherwise have been the case.  And by "stay in," I mean both stay in the regular season and stay in the FHSAA.     And those who 'opted out' will, presumably, receive the benefit of extra games.  But I give the FHSAA credit for coming up with a system on the fly during a time in August when it wasn't clear that there would even be a football season.  

Just so that I'm clear, my only observation/criticism has to do with what the FHSAA said they were going to do and what they actually did do.   They said the brackets were going to be completely random.  When I looked at the 7A and 8A brackets, they didn't look random to me.   Last night I read that they FHSAA stated that they used a "computer program" and then did "coin flips" ahead of time to determine the home team and visiting team for each game.  I can buy the coin flip explanation, although I'm pretty sure there's been a computer program for that since, oh, I don't know, perhaps since the second or third computer program was written.   Admittedly, it has been quite a while since I took my one and only computer class.  But,  I seem to recall that how you set the program up (and what information gets considered) goes a long way in determining what comes out the back end.  If the program took into account team records, team power rankings, team geographic locations, team performances in prior years, or any other factors other than how to spell the team's name, then it wasn't truly a random process.   What's the old adage?   Don't pee on my back and tell me it's raining.  Just be transparent.  That's all I'm asking. 

I would have thrown names in a hat and have somebody draw them out.

• 2 weeks later...