FHSAA Playoff Pairings

Joshua Wilson

1 hour ago, s1nglewing said:

Winless Choctawhatchee hosts first round playoff. Wow. And Niceville has to play-in.

Again, I think the goal was to give everybody a chance to play football games this fall without having to worry about teams playing a specific number of games against specific opponents, determining district champions and reconciling RPI's for the teams that were adversely affected in different ways by Covid.   And, of course, to maintain membership.  Will there be inequities?  Absolutely.   Will there be playoff football?  It appears so.   In 2020, that's a fair trade off as far as I'm concerned. 

20 hours ago, Perspective said:

Again, I think the goal was to give everybody a chance to play football games this fall without having to worry about teams playing a specific number of games against specific opponents, determining district champions and reconciling RPI's for the teams that were adversely affected in different ways by Covid.   And, of course, to maintain membership.  Will there be inequities?  Absolutely.   Will there be playoff football?  It appears so.   In 2020, that's a fair trade off as far as I'm concerned. 

That isn't the point.

The point is that a winless team, regardless how they achieved playoffs, should not host. In the same way the best team in NW Florida should not have to make the playoffs through a play in game.

1 hour ago, s1nglewing said:

That isn't the point.

The point is that a winless team, regardless how they achieved playoffs, should not host. In the same way the best team in NW Florida should not have to make the playoffs through a play in game.

I agree with the first part for sure. An imperfect system for an imperfect season. I think the brackets shake out in a way that the teams that are "supposed" to advance will regardless of where they play. Obviously, it stinks that a winless team is getting a bye but it's like that all over. Again, as a Central Florida guy I laugh because St. Cloud has a bye in 7A then they travel to what will likely be Edgewater. Osceola has a bye and it looks like they won't have much in the way of difficulty in Round 2. Dr. Phillips got jobbed though by having to travel so far. So I take the brackets for what they are. At the end of the day, the teams with a real shot at making a deep run will make one regardless of who and where they play. 

3 hours ago, Coach said:

I agree with the first part for sure. An imperfect system for an imperfect season. I think the brackets shake out in a way that the teams that are "supposed" to advance will regardless of where they play. Obviously, it stinks that a winless team is getting a bye but it's like that all over. Again, as a Central Florida guy I laugh because St. Cloud has a bye in 7A then they travel to what will likely be Edgewater. Osceola has a bye and it looks like they won't have much in the way of difficulty in Round 2. Dr. Phillips got jobbed though by having to travel so far. So I take the brackets for what they are. At the end of the day, the teams with a real shot at making a deep run will make one regardless of who and where they play. 

When they put the playoffs in place, no one knew what final records would be; we still don't know. If a weak team drew a bye, they probably won't get past the second round. The bad part of the "blind draw" is when two strong teams meet in the first round instead of in later rounds. 

5 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

When they put the playoffs in place, no one knew what final records would be; we still don't know. If a weak team drew a bye, they probably won't get past the second round. The bad part of the "blind draw" is when two strong teams meet in the first round instead of in later rounds. 

The devil's advocate response to your 'bad part' scenario is that only one team can advance from the Region  The two best teams are likely going to end up playing each other at some point -- what difference does it make if it's the first game or the third or fourth game.   That said, I agree with your comment.  In a perfect world, the two best teams would play in the Regional championship game, not in the opening playoff game. 

You want a bad scenario:  take one of those winless teams that S1nglewing is talking about.  Let's say they avoid a play-in game.  Then, the team that they are scheduled to play in the first round gets hit hard with Covid -- so hard that they are forced to cancel their game, resulting in a forfeit.  And then, low and behold, it happens a second or perhaps even a third time . . . next thing you know, you've got a winless team winning a regional championship.  Talk about an asterisk!   I mean, something like that could only happen in 2020.   :P

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

The devil's advocate response to your 'bad part' scenario is that only one team can advance from the Region  The two best teams are likely going to end up playing each other at some point -- what difference does it make if it's the first game or the third or fourth game.   That said, I agree with your comment.  In a perfect world, the two best teams would play in the Regional championship game, not in the opening playoff game. 

You want a bad scenario:  take one of those winless teams that S1nglewing is talking about.  Let's say they avoid a play-in game.  Then, the team that they are scheduled to play in the first round gets hit hard with Covid -- so hard that they are forced to cancel their game, resulting in a forfeit.  And then, low and behold, it happens a second or perhaps even a third time . . . next thing you know, you've got a winless team winning a regional championship.  Talk about an asterisk!   I mean, something like that could only happen in 2020.   :P

Slow down buddy. Covid-19 not going to hit like that.  Teams are being smart. 

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

That is definitely a worst case scenario.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Slow down buddy. Covid-19 not going to hit like that.  Teams are being smart. 

Yeah, I got a little carried away (on purpose), but Covid and 'being smart' don't seem to have much of a relationship right now.  I'm not sure if all counties are doing it the same way (and I suspect private schools are doing it differently than public schools), but let me paint a real picture for you:  a handful of kids (none of whom play football) go to a party on a Saturday night where someone has Covid.   By early the next week, those kids are all positive.  Again, none of them play football.  But, as fate would have it, they happen to have classes with kids who do play football and, unlike the NBA and the NHL, these kids are not living in a bubble.  The school determines through social tracing that the kids who test positive sat directly in front, in back or next to a football player.  At least in Hillsborough County, that football player is sent home and must "self-quarantine" for 14 days.  No school (other than virtual) and no after-school activities.  In other words, no football for 14 days.  Now, it turns out that a couple of those football players test positive.  In addition to the social tracing, you now put entire position groups at risk for self-quarantine.  And here's the real catch:  the kids who end up in quarantine (based solely on social tracing) can go get tested, can test negative every day for 13 days, but they still can't come back to school or play football until the 14 days has come and gone. 

By the way, just check out Twitter and see how many games, on a weekly basis, are getting canceled.   It's just the reality right now. 

5 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Yeah, I got a little carried away (on purpose), but Covid and 'being smart' don't seem to have much of a relationship right now.  I'm not sure if all counties are doing it the same way (and I suspect private schools are doing it differently than public schools), but let me paint a real picture for you:  a handful of kids (none of whom play football) go to a party on a Saturday night where someone has Covid.   By early the next week, those kids are all positive.  Again, none of them play football.  But, as fate would have it, they happen to have classes with kids who do play football and, unlike the NBA and the NHL, these kids are not living in a bubble.  The school determines through social tracing that the kids who test positive sat directly in front, in back or next to a football player.  At least in Hillsborough County, that football player is sent home and must "self-quarantine" for 14 days.  No school (other than virtual) and no after-school activities.  In other words, no football for 14 days.  Now, it turns out that a couple of those football players test positive.  In addition to the social tracing, you now put entire position groups at risk for self-quarantine.  And here's the real catch:  the kids who end up in quarantine (based solely on social tracing) can go get tested, can test negative every day for 13 days, but they still can't come back to school or play football until the 14 days has come and gone. 

By the way, just check out Twitter and see how many games, on a weekly basis, are getting canceled.   It's just the reality right now. 

Madison will be safe 

5 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Don't jinx 'em, Jesse.   Some school's going to send an infectious little trollop up that way about a week before a big playoff game and next thing you know, MadCo will come down with MadCow and have their playoff hopes dashed.  :D

Nah

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

Merritt Island and Eau Galle announced that they will not be playing football this week because of Covid-19 positive tests. When Edgewater had two players test positive in September, as part of their contact tracing, they notified Winter Park their previous opponent that their starting OT had tested positive and that WP should probably test their two starting DE's. Fortunately both DE's tested negative and the players on WP have continued to test negative so far this season. The WP football team is in a bubble for their classes and is isolated from the rest of the school during the school day. This virus can spread from team to team very easily, so it's quite possible that playoff games can be decided by positive tests.

5 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Merritt Island and Eau Galle announced that they will not be playing football this week because of Covid-19 positive tests. When Edgewater had two players test positive in September, as part of their contact tracing, they notified Winter Park their previous opponent that their starting OT had tested positive and that WP should probably test their two starting DE's. Fortunately both DE's tested negative and the players on WP have continued to test negative so far this season. The WP football team is in a bubble for their classes and is isolated from the rest of the school during the school day. This virus can spread from team to team very easily, so it's quite possible that playoff games can be decided by positive tests.

Eau Gallie is on their 2nd of 2 weeks this week. Merritt Island is on their first and Melbourne should be back. Cocoa just got a replacement game for Melbourne. They will be playing Satellite on November 12th

8 hours ago, Perspective said:

My laugh was more of the nervous variety. I did not intend to take humor out of our precarious position. But what you outline could easily happen. 

I will go out on a limb right now and predict that at least one team's post-season dreams will come to an end because of Covid and at least one team will advance to the next round without having to play a team that likely would have beat them.  Granted, I think it's a pretty sturdy limb, but I'm out there. 

19 minutes ago, Perspective said:

I will go out on a limb right now and predict that at least one team's post-season dreams will come to an end because of Covid and at least one team will advance to the next round without having to play a team that likely would have beat them.  Granted, I think it's a pretty sturdy limb, but I'm out there. 

A sturdy limb? More like a giant redwood tree. :lol: It's almost guaranteed that at least a few playoff games will be effected by the virus.

42 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

A sturdy limb? More like a giant redwood tree. :lol: It's almost guaranteed that at least a few playoff games will be effected by the virus.

Assuming the virus doesn't miraculously go away immediately after the elections.  B)

(Note:  This was not a political statement; no one can prove I was being sarcastic). 

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

Assuming the virus doesn't miraculously go away immediately after the elections.  B)

(Note:  This was not a political statement; no one can prove I was being sarcastic). 

I like trinity christian over Venice and everyone else they play.  State champions, national ranked. Don't really like trinity but pulling for north Florida teams.  

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

I like trinity christian over Venice and everyone else they play.  State champions, national ranked. Don't really like trinity but pulling for north Florida teams.  

Venice can compete with just about anyone in the state, maybe not win every game but they have some real speed this year. Madison County would get blasted by Venice.

2 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Venice can compete with just about anyone in the state, maybe not win every game but they have some real speed this year. Madison County would get blasted by Venice.

I'm talking about trinity christian,  Madison having a down year.  Last season Madison would beat Venice.  

57 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Madison has been beating up on 1A garbage for so long that their fans have forgotten that the real competition is south of Orlando. 

About madison yeah I'm retiring from madison.  Some of their players are going to the prep school,  I do not agree with that.  I just found out today.