FHSAA Playoff Pairings

Joshua Wilson

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 9:08 AM, Perspective said:

I will go out on a limb right now and predict that at least one team's post-season dreams will come to an end because of Covid and at least one team will advance to the next round without having to play a team that likely would have beat them.  Granted, I think it's a pretty sturdy limb, but I'm out there. 

Two Tampa Bay area teams are closing up shop and will not play in their scheduled playoff play-in games this Friday night:  Fivay (Pasco Co.) is out, allowing Hollins to advance to the next round and Osceola is out, allowing Gaither to advance.  I don't know much about the first two teams, but I can say pretty confidently that Gaither would have beaten Osceola. 

Any others?

Covid knocks Tampa Robinson out of the playoffs, allowing Orlando Jones to advance without having to play an improved Robinson team, but clearly one that was not able to finish the season at anything close to full strength.  

Covid also knocks out Archbishop McCarthy, allowing Miami Central to advance without playing.   Miami Central also won their play-in game against Immokalee because of a Covid forfeit.   I don't think either Immokalee (0-7) or Archbishop McCarthy (1-6) posed any threats against Central and Central's first on-field game will be against the winner of Ida Baker (4-3) and Lely (2-5), so that shouldn't be much of a contest either.  Central won't get tested until the regional semi-finals, if then.

Any more Covid casualties? 

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

Covid knocks Tampa Robinson out of the playoffs, allowing Orlando Jones to advance without having to play an improved Robinson team, but clearly one that was not able to finish the season at anything close to full strength.  

Covid also knocks out Archbishop McCarthy, allowing Miami Central to advance without playing.   Miami Central also won their play-in game against Immokalee because of a Covid forfeit.   I don't think either Immokalee (0-7) or Archbishop McCarthy (1-6) posed any threats against Central and Central's first on-field game will be against the winner of Ida Baker (4-3) and Lely (2-5), so that shouldn't be much of a contest either.  Central won't get tested until the regional semi-finals, if then.

Any more Covid casualties? 

We’re suppose to be in the playoffs man smh

• 2 weeks later...