Some Things to Ponder

Proseteye

I've often wondered why there have never been any comprehensive changes to the rules regarding kickoff returns from the end zones and kicks for extra points at least in college and high school football.  Since many if not most of the kick offs now go into the end zone and extra point kicks are routinely made it would seem that kickoff returns should be similar to that of the NFL where a player can do a run back from the end zone. It certainly would make the game more exciting as run backs are one of the most interesting plays in football. As far as kicking extra points are concerned maybe they could be made more difficult or just do away with kicking for extra points and only allow rushing or passing for extra points. Would like to hear opinions and/or recommendations pro and con regarding this topic.

8 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

I've often wondered why there have never been any comprehensive changes to the rules regarding kickoff returns from the end zones and kicks for extra points at least in college and high school football.  Since many if not most of the kick offs now go into the end zone and extra point kicks are routinely made it would seem that kickoff returns should be similar to that of the NFL where a player can do a run back from the end zone. It certainly would make the game more exciting as run backs are one of the most interesting plays in football. As far as kicking extra points are concerned maybe they could be made more difficult or just do away with kicking for extra points and only allow rushing or passing for extra points. Would like to hear opinions and/or recommendations pro and con regarding this topic.

With the emphasis that leagues have been placing on making the game safer for the players, I would be surprised if the kickoff is not phased out in the next couple of years. Athletes are getting stronger and faster every year and with that, they chance of serious injury increases each year. Take two strong, fast athletes running full speed at each other from 60-70 yards away and you have a recipe for disaster on every kickoff. After a score, just place the ball on the 20 and let the offense start from there; much safer. The NFL has already addressed the kick for the extra point by moving the kick further away. Doing the same with high school would make the extra point less automatic.

I agree with you guys on the kickoffs.   Given the emphasis on safety, and the propensity for injury on kickoffs, I see them doing away with kickoffs before they change the rule to allow kicks into the end zone to be returned . . . but I don't see them doing away with kickoffs any time soon -- in large part because no one has really come up with an acceptable replacement for the onside kick as a means of trying to get the ball back after scoring a late TD in a close game. 

As for extra points, it's only automatic if you have a good kicker, a decent long-snapper and a decent holder.  I've seen several extra points missed already this year (more so at the JV level, but also at the V level).  Kicking for extra points isn't that common in youth leagues; typically, you don't see kicking until high school.   Kicking for extra points is a good training ground and a great way to develop the kickers, the holders and the long-snappers . . . you know, those guys that you then count on to walk out onto the field and produce a game-winning 35-yard FG. 

I think kickoffs will get phased out too. Player safety is always going to be the most important thing in high school sports - as it ought to be.

As for kicking extra points, I can't imagine a scenario where they move the ball back or anything right now. Some schools have teams who can't even line-up a field goal unit, let alone get a kid who can kick the ball accurately from 25-30 yards out. I just think it would help the better programs and hurt the worse ones disproportionately. But, I could also just be an old, crazy guy.

11 hours ago, Proseteye said:

Player safety will prevent a rule change for allowing free kicks (kickoffs) to be returned out of the end zone in NFHS rules. In fact, I would not be surprised if free kicks were completely eliminated in High School and Youth Football rules within 5-10 years. 

18 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Player safety will prevent a rule change for allowing free kicks (kickoffs) to be returned out of the end zone in NFHS rules. In fact, I would not be surprised if free kicks were completely eliminated in High School and Youth Football rules within 5-10 years. 

You rarely see high school kickoffs reaching the end zone, at least at the games I've seen lately. The kid with a strong leg is a blessing for a team, but rare. I think you'll see kickoffs eliminate at the youth level and high school within the the next year or two. 

5 hours ago, HornetFan said:

You rarely see high school kickoffs reaching the end zone, at least at the games I've seen lately. The kid with a strong leg is a blessing for a team, but rare. I think you'll see kickoffs eliminate at the youth level and high school within the the next year or two. 

Youth football, I would agree that kickoffs will be eliminated within a year or two. High School Football might take a little longer. 

Again, I don't see kickoffs being eliminated until somebody comes up with a replacement for the on-side kick.  There has to be some mechanism, regardless of how risky, to enable a team to be able to immediately gain possession of the ball after scoring.  I know some ideas have been floated around, but nothing has stuck yet. 

52 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Again, I don't see kickoffs being eliminated until somebody comes up with a replacement for the on-side kick.  There has to be some mechanism, regardless of how risky, to enable a team to be able to immediately gain possession of the ball after scoring.  I know some ideas have been floated around, but nothing has stuck yet. 

I can't remember exactly what the proposed alternative was, but college football was studying a "one play" scenario where the trailing team would have an opportunity. They could easily keep the on-side kick while ending all other kickoffs. On-side kicks are never a surprise when used as a last resort at the end of a game. They could limit it to the last two minutes and make the team declare their intent. At least you wouldn't have players running full speed for 40-50 yards and colliding with injury potential at the highest level.

1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

I can't remember exactly what the proposed alternative was, but college football was studying a "one play" scenario where the trailing team would have an opportunity. They could easily keep the on-side kick while ending all other kickoffs. On-side kicks are never a surprise when used as a last resort at the end of a game. They could limit it to the last two minutes and make the team declare their intent. At least you wouldn't have players running full speed for 40-50 yards and colliding with injury potential at the highest level.

I remember the Philadelphia Eagles proposed an alternative to onside kicks: 

To provide an alternative to the onside kick that would allow a team who is trailing in the game an opportunity to maintain possession of the ball after scoring (4th and 15 from the kicking team’s 25-yard line).

1 hour ago, OHS_Kboys said:

I remember the Philadelphia Eagles proposed an alternative to onside kicks: 

To provide an alternative to the onside kick that would allow a team who is trailing in the game an opportunity to maintain possession of the ball after scoring (4th and 15 from the kicking team’s 25-yard line).

Thanks; that's the one I remember seeing. It's actually a better chance for the trailing team. Fourth and 15 is a lot easier to make than recovering an on-side kick. And, if you don't make the 1st down, you would have lost anyway.