I'll Pick One Game This Year - Boone beats Edgewater

Pipe Dreams

15 hours ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Will put it out there. 

Boone's offense is lethal. 

This is not a sure thing (at all) but I wanted to call it. Game is on 11/6. 

I don't think Boone can beat Edgewater. Edgewater committed 5 turnovers in their loss to Jones; one was in Jones red zone and returned 85 yards for a TD, a 14 point swing. Edgewater has a neighborhood rivalry game next week against Bishop Moore and should get themselves straightened out. Boone is much improved this year, but I can't see them challenging Edgewater.

7 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Edgewater had tonight's game against Bishop Moore cancelled because of positive tests at BM. Edgewater will be looking to take out their inactivity on Boone.

Their inactivity is going to hurt them against a good, motivated Boone team. Given the way the season has played out, I think Boone wins this game. 

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Their inactivity is going to hurt them against a good, motivated Boone team. Given the way the season has played out, I think Boone wins this game. 

A loss to Boone would turn this season into a total disaster for Edgewater, but they would still be a force in the playoffs once they get tp play a few games in a row, if the virus allows. Crazy season.

I was at the Winter Park (5-1) - Timber Creek (5-0) game last night. I couldn't believe the size of the TC OL; they had five starters that were either 300+, or close to it. They had to outweigh WP DL by about 75 pounds per player. WP uses a 3 man DL most of the time and the WP DL shut the TC running game down, winning 27-10. The WP kids were too quick for the big boys of TC. WP, now 6-1, plays Olympia next week, then East Ridge in playoff opener followed by a game with Apopka. That Apopka - WP game should be an exciting game.

15 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

A loss to Boone would turn this season into a total disaster for Edgewater, but they would still be a force in the playoffs once they get tp play a few games in a row, if the virus allows. Crazy season.

I was at the Winter Park (5-1) - Timber Creek (5-0) game last night. I couldn't believe the size of the TC OL; they had five starters that were either 300+, or close to it. They had to outweigh WP DL by about 75 pounds per player. WP uses a 3 man DL most of the time and the WP DL shut the TC running game down, winning 27-10. The WP kids were too quick for the big boys of TC. WP, now 6-1, plays Olympia next week, then East Ridge in playoff opener followed by a game with Apopka. That Apopka - WP game should be an exciting game.

Apopka's defense has played stellar. However, on offense we are way too dependent on Lohman. He was injured against West Orange and we lost due to that fact. Tonight he is playing but is injured against Lake Mary and early in the 4th we are leading by 7-3. If Lohman is healthy, I think we would beat Winter Park. But if he is not, WP probably wins by 10. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Apopka's defense has played stellar. However, on offense we are way too dependent on Lohman. He was injured against West Orange and we lost due to that fact. Tonight he is playing but is injured against Lake Mary and early in the 4th we are leading by 7-3. If Lohman is healthy, I think we would beat Winter Park. But if he is not, WP probably wins by 10. 

WP has relied on its defense to set up its offense. The defense has been very strong against the run and with a strong pass rush has forced multiple turnovers in just about every one of their games. The running game is strong with Ayron Rodriguez, a transfer from Winter Springs, leading several running backs pounding out nice gains from scrimmage. WP lost Terrance Gibbs, a junior transfer from the Masters Academy, to a torn ACL in pre-season, with him the running game would have been even better. The QB, another transfer, is also a good runner, but shaky through the air. WP is much improved over last year with a group of transfers playing key starting roles. 

1 hour ago, EagleEye said:

Thank you, we appreciate it, same to the Darters as well, how confident are you feeling with them recently?

The defense will keep the Darters in most games. On offense, I wish we had a couple of your skill kids. Apopka relies too much on JL. He is a great high school player, but he could use some help running the ball. We do have a few receivers with decent hands. The O Line has improved with each game, and we have a decent kicker/punter for the first time in a few years. 

In a normal year, I would say Apopka is a second or third round team. This year, nothing would surprise me. It could be anything from losing to WP in the first round to going all the way. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

The defense will keep the Darters in most games. On offense, I wish we had a couple of your skill kids. Apopka relies too much on JL. He is a great high school player, but he could use some help running the ball. We do have a few receivers with decent hands. The O Line has improved with each game, and we have a decent kicker/punter for the first time in a few years. 

In a normal year, I would say Apopka is a second or third round team. This year, nothing would surprise me. It could be anything from losing to WP in the first round to going all the way. 

WP and Olympia played a tough 1st half last night with both teams using their starters resulting in a WP 6-3 halftime lead. Once again, WP defense prevailed as their offense sputtered with one-dimensional running game. The running game works well as long as they avoid drive killing penalties and if they have some resemblance of a passing game: both worked against WP in the 1st half. The coaches went with backups the entire 2nd half and WP pulled away to a 34-3 win behind a balanced attack of good running backs and very good downfield passing by the 2nd and 3rd QB's. WP's depth on both offense and defense was too much for Olympia. I don't expect East Ridge next week will be a major threat to WP moving on to Apopka, but something has to change at QB before the Apopka game. They cannot continue to expect the defense to shut down opponents week after week while creating turnovers to set up a one dimensional running game offense. Olympia coaches stacked the line of scrimmage the entire first half and were successful in slowing down our running game and our QB couldn't come within 10 yards of completing a pass to a receiver downfield the entire half. We have better passing QB's on the bench than on the field.

35 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

We have better passing QB's on the bench than on the field.

Then, perhaps, they need to change the starter. I get he may be a senior and the others underclassmen. But in the playoffs, you need to have your best guy out there. If WP cannot move the ball through the air against Apopka, they are going to have a very hard time putting points on the board. 

4 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Then, perhaps, they need to change the starter. I get he may be a senior and the others underclassmen. But in the playoffs, you need to have your best guy out there. If WP cannot move the ball through the air against Apopka, they are going to have a very hard time putting points on the board. 

The starter is a junior transfer from Oviedo; he got beat out by a freshman at Oviedo last year. He's a very good runner, but only about 5'10" and has a lot of trouble, accuracy wise, throwing the ball down the field. We also have a good senior QB transfer from Buffalo, NY; he has a strong arm and was on the money on several long passes last night. He has good size, 6'1", but is not much of a run threat. The third QB is a sophomore, 6"1", strong arm, accurate, and a good runner; he was starting JV QB last year as a freshman. Head Coach says seniors and juniors should play before sophomores and he will have a chance next year; he played 4th quarter last night, threw for a TD and ran for another. We have a very strong running game with speed and power and coach likes ball control. Plus, our defense has been fantastic against the run and with pass rush stopping opponents and creating turnovers. WP is 7-1 and I guess coach doesn't want to mess with his success. The sad part is we have some great receivers and all they see are ultra-safe passes in the flat. Maybe after seeing the other two QB's in game action last night, he'll see things differently. WP has the players to be a serious threat in the playoffs if the coach will put them on the field.

23 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Maybe the Head Coach is finally going to wake up. He actually gave "props" to the our 2nd and 3rd QB's in today's Sunday Orlando Sentinel article on Friday night's games.

3 hours ago, badbird said:

Does anyone have more transfers in Central Florida than Winter Park?  Every kid mentioned is a transfer  

We have a bunch of transfers and most are starters or at least get some good playing time. WP had a strong team coming back from last year already with a few D1 recruits, but the transfers have been great. We have seen significant improvement on defense with some new players at CB, LB, and DE. On offense, the running game was improved significantly with two 1000 yard RB's transferring in, despite losing one of our best RB transfers to a torn ACL in pre-season. With all the new players and no Spring or Summer practice, they struggled in losing to Edgewater in their 2nd game, but since then, the defense has been fantastic at stopping the run and applying pressure on opponent's passing games. In two of their games, they limited Lake Nona to 3 yards rushing and Olympia to zero yards rushing. The weak spot has been the passing game because the coach opted for a QB who runs real well, but has problems hitting receivers downfield. This Friday's game with East Ridge should be interesting to see if the coach opens up the passing game with one of the other QB's, both of whom are accurate throwing downfield.