Need some rule explanation

DisabledAccount

@Jambun82

What is the rule with hurdling in high school? I always thought it was only a penalty if you don't completely clear the defender in the jump but last night columbia was called for a 15 yard penalty for hurdling even though the player completely cleared the defender

Here is a tape of the play 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

@Jambun82

What is the rule with hurdling in high school? I always thought it was only a penalty if you don't completely clear the defender in the jump but last night columbia was called for a 15 yard penalty for hurdling even though the player completely cleared the defender

Here is a tape of the play 

Here is the actual wording of the rule, which is Rule 9, Section 4, Article 3, Subject D in the national rulebook: "An attempt by a player to jump (hurdle) with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet is illegal.

2 hours ago, CoachK said:

Here is the actual wording of the rule, which is Rule 9, Section 4, Article 3, Subject D in the national rulebook: "An attempt by a player to jump (hurdle) with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet is illegal.

CoachK has the rule right out of the book. 

To put it in even more simple terms....it is illegal for an offensive player to hurdle a defensive player who is standing on their feet. It is legal for an offensive player to hurdle a defensive player who is on their knees or laying on the ground.

26 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

This is from A LOOOOOOONG time ago, but even on Saturdays for a while it was illegal. Randy Moss should have been flagged for this play. 

Gatorman, I have no idea what the college rule was at the time, but under existing high school rules, that's a close call.  In addition to a defender being on his knees or lying on the ground (see Just a Coach's post above), a defensive player can be hurdled if both his feet are off the ground; i.e., he lays out in an attempt to make a diving tackle . . . which arguably is what the defender trying to make the play on Moss did.  In real time, it's pretty tough to determine whether the defender's feet are both off the ground at the precise moment of the hurdle.  Judgment call, I guess, but I would not fault the officials for not making the call on this play.    Oh, and this clip just shows that Moss was a man playing with boys when he was at Marshall.    

On 11/9/2020 at 9:18 AM, Perspective said:

The kid made a very athletic move that would be OK on Saturday or Sunday, but the officials got the call right. 

11 for 22
154 passing yards 
2 TDs

11 carries for 90 yards 
2 TDs rushing

This was his stats from this past week in what was his first start at QB in his career at any level 

6 hours ago, Perspective said:

Gatorman, I have no idea what the college rule was at the time, but under existing high school rules, that's a close call.  In addition to a defender being on his knees or lying on the ground (see Just a Coach's post above), a defensive player can be hurdled if both his feet are off the ground; i.e., he lays out in an attempt to make a diving tackle . . . which arguably is what the defender trying to make the play on Moss did.  In real time, it's pretty tough to determine whether the defender's feet are both off the ground at the precise moment of the hurdle.  Judgment call, I guess, but I would not fault the officials for not making the call on this play.    Oh, and this clip just shows that Moss was a man playing with boys when he was at Marshall.    

Someplace in Moss's 30 for 30 he talks about it, but yes, he was a man among boys (helped he had a decent QB as well). Army was actually coming off a 10-2 season the previous year and barely lost to Auburn in the Independence Bowl.