Potential Playoff Upsets?

Coach

Looking at the brackets and with the bigger classifications really getting rolling tonight, does anyone see a chance in Rounds 1 or 2 for any major program to suffer an upset? I am not as familiar with other areas of the state as some of you are. I just know that in my area, I can't really see any major names falling off in the early rounds because the talent gap between some teams is just ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Coach said:

Looking at the brackets and with the bigger classifications really getting rolling tonight, does anyone see a chance in Rounds 1 or 2 for any major program to suffer an upset? I am not as familiar with other areas of the state as some of you are. I just know that in my area, I can't really see any major names falling off in the early rounds because the talent gap between some teams is just ridiculous. 

Let me ask you this

How big of a upset against say the pinkos spread would it take to be considered a upset?

Honestly I feel like any spread within 7 points isn't really a upset because that's a one score game that can go either way, I usually start seeing it as a upset when favored by 10 or more

So what games on tap is someone favored by that margin?

13 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Let me ask you this

How big of a upset against say the pinkos spread would it take to be considered a upset?

Honestly I feel like any spread within 7 points isn't really a upset because that's a one score game that can go either way, I usually start seeing it as a upset when favored by 10 or more

So what games on tap is someone favored by that margin?

NOT THE LONG SIGNATURE AGAIN.  SMH

• 16,908 posts
  • LocationLake City Columbia
  8 minutes ago, badbird said:

NOT THE LONG SIGNATURE AGAIN.  SMH

And yet I don't even see a signature on anyone including myself 

https://twitter.com/sports_CHSLC?s=09

Columbia high fighting tigers

Most Winningest team in North Florida history

697-344-37 record
3 championship appearances
73 winning seasons
6 undefeated seasons
20 straight winning seasons (1987-2007)
12 straight playoff appearances (1993-2004)
22 straight wins (1930-1933)
72 playoff games played

40 playoff wins
36 playoff seasons

21 district championships

21 seasons over 10 wins

Playoff seasons:   1964,1967,1968,1969,1975,1982,1984,1985,1988, 1989,1990,1993,1994,1995,1996,1997,1998,1999, 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2006,2007,2009,2011, 2012,2013,2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019, 2020

District Championships: 1964,1967,1969,1975,1982,1984,1985,1988,1989, 1990,1993,1994,1997,1998,1999,2000,2003,2009, 2012,2015,2018

Regional finals: 1964,1967,1969,1995,1997,1998,1999,2001,2002, 2003,2012,2015

State Semifinals: 1964,1967,1969,1997,2003,2015

State appearances: 1964,1967,1997

1967 Class A State Champions

"BrowardHandicapper is secretly a Columbia admirer" -Columbiahighfan

There's a new sheriff in town -Columbiahighfan 

55 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I could see Ocoee and Oak Ridge winning. Evans won't beat Brantley nor will University beat Deland. 

Just two weeks ago West Orange beat Ocoee 31-0 and last week WO gave Jones a good game. I can't see Ocoee winning this week.

Olympia team that I saw in 1st half against Winter Park last week is a good team; they just don't have a lot of depth. Still, I think they should handle Oak Ridge.

Deland beat University 35-0 a few weeks ago; don't expect an upset there.

Lake Brantley beat Evans 55-26 two weeks ago; not much chance there either.

Bishop Moore (4-2), a 7 point favorite must travel to Nature Coast (7-0). BM hasn't played in several weeks because of Covid while NC has make short work of most of their opponents in an undefeated regular season. I think NC wins this game.

1 minute ago, HornetFan said:

Just two weeks ago West Orange beat Ocoee 31-0 and last week WO gave Jones a good game. I can't see Ocoee winning this week.

Olympia team that I saw in 1st half against Winter Park last week is a good team; they just don't have a lot of depth. Still, I think they should handle Oak Ridge.

Bishop Moore (4-2), a 7 point favorite must travel to Nature Coast (7-0). BM hasn't played in several weeks because of Covid while NC has make short work of most of their opponents in an undefeated regular season. I think NC wins this game.

DeLand vs University game was cancelled a few weeks ago

Maxpreps is a bad source to use because it's usually ran by some random fan of the team

2 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Yeah but how good were the teams Nature Coast beat? That area of the state isn't very strong so I honestly could see Bishop Moore winning the game 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

DeLand vs University game was cancelled a few weeks ago

Maxpreps is a bad source to use because it's usually ran by some random fan of the team

Thanks, didn't realize that.

I'm still trying to figure out how Maxpreps dropped Winter Park 13 spots this week in the state rankings when WP beat a 4-2 Olympia team 34-3 this past Friday.

Just now, HornetFan said:

Thanks, didn't realize that.

I'm still trying to figure out how Maxpreps dropped Winter Park 13 spots this week in the state rankings when WP beat a 4-2 Olympia team 34-3 this past Friday.

Sometimes when teams drop it's more because teams below rise up more so than them dropping a team but I would have to see who jumped ahead to be sure 

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah but how good were the teams Nature Coast beat? That area of the state isn't very strong so I honestly could see Bishop Moore winning the game 

Normally, I would agree because the Pasco, Hernando, Citrus county areas are not the strongest areas and BM usually beats other 5A teams from that area without much trouble, but BM has just returned to practice this week from almost 3 weeks off from Covid. It should be close and all depends on how BM comes out of their layoff.

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Sometimes when teams drop it's more because teams below rise up more so than them dropping a team but I would have to see who jumped ahead to be sure 

If Olympia was a 0-6 team and WP barely beat them, I could see them dropping, but even with that, not 13 spots. WP is 7-1 with their only loss to Edgewater in the 2nd week. Their opponents in their 7 wins have averaged less than 5 points a game. Dropping 13 spots doesn't make sense and in my opinion seriously questions the credibility of Maxprep rankings.

4 hours ago, HornetFan said:

If Ocoee returns to the form that gave Apopka hell and beat Wekiva, they have a shot at West Orange. I don't know what has happened with the program since then that allowed WO to destroy them. But it is a rivalry game, so it may have just been WO rubbing salt into an open wound. 

I actually like Bishop Moore to upset Nature Coast. I realize they have been hampered by Covid-19, but believe NC's record may be inflated by relatively weak competition. We shall certainly see. Is the BM 

6 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

BM game streamed on the Internet.

Bishop Moore beat Nature Coast tonight 45-28; good win for the Hornets.

Winter Park destroyed East Ridge 42-6 with a strong performance by our defense and a more balanced attack from our offense. WP has Apopka up next week. It was a good victory, but we lost one of our starting DE's and leading pass rusher (10 sacks this season) to a double break in his right forearm early in the game. He was also our starting TE.

6 hours ago, HornetFan said:

Bishop Moore beat Nature Coast tonight 45-28; good win for the Hornets.

Winter Park destroyed East Ridge 42-6 with a strong performance by our defense and a more balanced attack from our offense. WP has Apopka up next week. It was a good victory, but we lost one of our starting DE's and leading pass rusher (10 sacks this season) to a double break in his right forearm early in the game. He was also our starting TE.

Bishop Moore's win does not surprise me. I expect BM to go into at least the third round.

Congrats on the WP victory. Sorry for the kid who broke his arm. I am sure his presence will be missed in the Apopka game. Apopka does not have the vaunted ground offense of the Darlington days, but is a bit better in the passing game.

Apopka's defense is very stout both against the run and to a slightly lesser extent, against the pass. Certainly, four year starter is our best defensive back since Brandon Merriweather. The most points given up all year by Apopka has been 22 to Jones and that included a pick 6. Winter Park can certainly win this game, but must have a good and balanced offense to do so. If it just runs the ball, I expect Apopka to shut them down. Apopka, to win, will have to keep WP to 14 or less. If the defense can do this, then the offense may just score enough points to win.

Its a pity I cannot attend this game as I expect it to be a good to great one. It would not surprise me if its winner makes the state semifinal or beyond. It may come down to the team that makes the fewest mistakes.