Potential Playoff Upsets?

Coach

Just now, DarterBlue2 said:

Bishop Moore's win does not surprise me. I expect BM to go into at least the third round.

Congrats on the WP victory. Sorry for the kid who broke his arm. I am sure his presence will be missed in the Apopka game. Apopka does not have the vaunted ground offense of the Darlington days, but is a bit better in the passing game.

Apopka's defense is very stout both against the run and to a slightly lesser extent, against the pass. Certainly, four year starter is our best defensive back since Brandon Merriweather. The most points given up all year by Apopka has been 22 to Jones and that included a pick 6. Winter Park can certainly win this game, but must have a good and balanced offense to do so. If it just runs the ball, I expect Apopka to shut them down. Apopka, to win, will have to keep WP to 14 or less. If the defense can do this, then the offense may just score enough points to win.

Its a pity I cannot attend this game as I expect it to be a good to great one. It would not surprise me if its winner makes the state semifinal or beyond. It may come down to the team that makes the fewest mistakes.

I was referring to Nikai Martinez

5 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Bishop Moore's win does not surprise me. I expect BM to go into at least the third round.

Congrats on the WP victory. Sorry for the kid who broke his arm. I am sure his presence will be missed in the Apopka game. Apopka does not have the vaunted ground offense of the Darlington days, but is a bit better in the passing game.

Apopka's defense is very stout both against the run and to a slightly lesser extent, against the pass. Certainly, four year starter is our best defensive back since Brandon Merriweather. The most points given up all year by Apopka has been 22 to Jones and that included a pick 6. Winter Park can certainly win this game, but must have a good and balanced offense to do so. If it just runs the ball, I expect Apopka to shut them down. Apopka, to win, will have to keep WP to 14 or less. If the defense can do this, then the offense may just score enough points to win.

Its a pity I cannot attend this game as I expect it to be a good to great one. It would not surprise me if its winner makes the state semifinal or beyond. It may come down to the team that makes the fewest mistakes.

I was very happy to see BM win their playoff game. I think you were right about the level of play in Nature Coast's area.

The WP victory was the most complete game that I have seen to date this season from WP. Thanks for the nice words on our DE, who besides being a very good player and a great kid, he's my oldest grandson. He transferred from BM this year so he could play a season with his younger brother. It's a tough way to end his high school football career, but we'll see what happens next. He's been talking to schools but no offers yet from other than D2 and D3. The doctors were great; they reset his arm and told him he should be OK in about 6-8 weeks. 

The Apopka -WP game should be a good one. WP has allowed an average of less than 5 points in their 8 wins; the defense added a few more turnovers against East Ridge, including a pick 6. Tickets are available to the general public for the playoff games. They had a pretty good crowd at last night's game. The link for tickets is: "gofan.co". Tickets are $8, plus a small processing fee of about $1.50.

I expect that the winner of this game will probably reach at least the 8A semi-finals.

2 hours ago, HornetFan said:

I was very happy to see BM win their playoff game. I think you were right about the level of play in Nature Coast's area.

The WP victory was the most complete game that I have seen to date this season from WP. Thanks for the nice words on our DE, who besides being a very good player and a great kid, he's my oldest grandson. He transferred from BM this year so he could play a season with his younger brother. It's a tough way to end his high school football career, but we'll see what happens next. He's been talking to schools but no offers yet from other than D2 and D3. The doctors were great; they reset his arm and told him he should be OK in about 6-8 weeks. 

The Apopka -WP game should be a good one. WP has allowed an average of less than 5 points in their 8 wins; the defense added a few more turnovers against East Ridge, including a pick 6. Tickets are available to the general public for the playoff games. They had a pretty good crowd at last night's game. The link for tickets is: "gofan.co". Tickets are $8, plus a small processing fee of about $1.50.

I expect that the winner of this game will probably reach at least the 8A semi-finals.

I may chance it and attend. But if I do, I will probably stand behind one of the goals. At my age, I don't want to risk getting Covid-19. My first grandchild is on the way; I would like to be around for some of my grandkid's major life milestones. 

I wish your grandson a speedy recovery. That was a bad way to end his senior season. Even if he does not get any higher level offers, if he loves the game, he should take one of the D2 offers. That is predicated on the assumption that the schools are an acceptable academic choice and offer his preferred majors.

It would be neat to continue playing the game you love through college.  

4 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I may chance it and attend. But if I do, I will probably stand behind one of the goals. At my age, I don't want to risk getting Covid-19. My first grandchild is on the way; I would like to be around for some of my grandkid's major life milestones. 

WP is really good about the social distancing and mask requirements. I'm an old guy too and I feel very safe at the games in Showalter Field. There were very few people in the visitor's stands last night, though I believe Apopka would bring more folks than East Ridge. We've attended every WP home game and have never felt that we were being crowded by others. Orange County will only allow a certain number of fans and the stadium has been more on the empty side. I think you would enjoy seeing the game in person. Let me know later in the week if you're going to attend.

1 minute ago, HornetFan said:

WP is really good about the social distancing and mask requirements. I'm an old guy too and I feel very safe at the games in Showalter Field. There were very few people in the visitor's stands last night, though I believe Apopka would bring more folks than East Ridge. We've attended every WP home game and have never felt that we were being crowded by others. Orange County will only allow a certain number of fans and the stadium has been more on the empty side. I think you would enjoy seeing the game in person. Let me know later in the week if you're going to attend.

As long as they are aware that tickets can be purchased, Apopka fans will max out the number they are allowed to buy. They always travel well as long as the team is playing well. I remember being at playoff games in Jacksonville where Apopka had more fans than the home team (twice against First Coast). At Plant, one of those years, in the semis, Apopka filled the entire visitors section and some removable stands brought in for the game. The only way to get a ticket for that game if you were travelling from Apopka was to buy it at the school's campus. And, those were sold out the Thursday before the game. 

I need to think about the risks/rewards of going to this game in person. If Apopka or even Winter Park or another area school (Orange, Osceola or Seminole (or even Lake, Volusia or Brevard), make it to the state title games, I may travel to Tally as Doak Campbell is huge and much safer then the local stadiums are.  

If I don't see any games live, this will be the first time since the 1997 season I will not have attended any live games. 

I wish your grandson a speedy recovery. That was a bad way to end his senior season. Even if he does not get any higher level offers, if he loves the game, he should take one of the D2 offers. That is predicated on the assumption that the schools are an acceptable academic choice and offer his preferred majors.

I would love to see him continue playing and that chance may come. He wants to attend a Florida school if possible. It's funny, before the virus came around early this year, he was speaking with Michigan, Troy, FAU, and Davidson College, But once the virus hit, communication stopped; no Spring Game, no Summer visits to colleges. Just this past week, he was contacted by Stony Brook up on Long Island, my alma mater; They're hoping to play a Spring schedule in 2021. There's also a possibility of getting a "preferred walk-on" from Florida State or UCF. Early Signing Day will free up some slots at D-1 schools when recruits decide between a multiple number of schools. I just want him to attend a school he will like for the next four years; the education is the important thing.

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

As long as they are aware that tickets can be purchased, Apopka fans will max out the number they are allowed to buy. They always travel well as long as the team is playing well. I remember being at playoff games in Jacksonville where Apopka had more fans than the home team (twice against First Coast). At Plant, one of those years, in the semis, Apopka filled the entire visitors section and some removable stands brought in for the game. The only way to get a ticket for that game if you were travelling from Apopka was to buy it at the school's campus. And, those were sold out the Thursday before the game. 

I need to think about the risks/rewards of going to this game in person. If Apopka or even Winter Park or another area school (Orange, Osceola or Seminole (or even Lake, Volusia or Brevard), make it to the state title games, I may travel to Tally as Doak Campbell is huge and much safer then the local stadiums are.  

If I don't see any games live, this will be the first time since the 1997 season I will not have attended any live games. 

From the grandkids' Pop Warner days, I know Apopka travels well. Winter Park is the same way. I'll post as soon as I learn the tickets are available and you can decide at that point.

2 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I would love to see him continue playing and that chance may come. He wants to attend a Florida school if possible. It's funny, before the virus came around early this year, he was speaking with Michigan, Troy, FAU, and Davidson College, But once the virus hit, communication stopped; no Spring Game, no Summer visits to colleges. Just this past week, he was contacted by Stony Brook up on Long Island, my alma mater; They're hoping to play a Spring schedule in 2021. There's also a possibility of getting a "preferred walk-on" from Florida State or UCF. Early Signing Day will free up some slots at D-1 schools when recruits decide between a multiple number of schools. I just want him to attend a school he will like for the next four years; the education is the important thing.

Funny you mention SUNY Stony Brook campus. When I lived and worked in NYC, the firm I was with used to conduct its local office training at that campus and sometimes at Adelphi. they also used to recruit both schools and I worked on a couple projects with individuals from your Alma Mata. Small world. 

3 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

From the grandkids' Pop Warner days, I know Apopka travels well. Winter Park is the same way. I'll post as soon as I learn the tickets are available and you can decide at that point.

In 2005, with Winter Park the only area team left in the playoffs, I made the trip to Palm Beach Gardens for the semifinal. WP fans filled the visitor's side. WP lost by 3 (10-7), as the clock expired. WP had actually scored on the previous drive on a long catch and run TD pass when Corey Rabinski (sp), their Tight End, rumbled into the end zone capping off a 60+ yard play. But the officials called it back on an infraction that occurred about 15 to 20 yards behind him. If that had stood, WP would either have won the game or at worst, it would have likely gone to overtime. The following week, Palm Beach Gardens won the 6A title in a blowout. So, WP came very close to a state title that year. It's kind of funny because that team really improved during the playoffs. They had beaten a relatively average 7-4 Apopka team in the first round by something like 15-14, but after that they picked their game up.

In 2005, with Winter Park the only area team left in the playoffs, I made the trip to Palm Beach Gardens for the semifinal. WP fans filled the visitor's side. WP lost by 3 (10-7), as the clock expired. WP had actually scored on the previous drive on a long catch and run TD pass when Corey Rabinski (sp), their Tight End, rumbled into the end zone capping off a 60+ yard play. But the officials called it back on an infraction that occurred about 15 to 20 yards behind him. If that had stood, WP would either have won the game or at worst, it would have likely gone to overtime. The following week, Palm Beach Gardens won the 6A title in a blowout. So, WP came very close to a state title that year. It's kind of funny because that team really improved during the playoffs. They had beaten a relatively average 7-4 Apopka team in the first round by something like 15-14, but after that they picked their game up.

DarterBlue2, do you remember what the penalty was that was called on the play? 

28 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

DarterBlue2, do you remember what the penalty was that was called on the play? 

I think it was a block in the back. But this was 15 years ago, so I am not 100% certain. I am not alleging that the call was inappropriate, as I did not see the infraction, as I was focused on the player with the ball in his hands. However, I doubt very much that it affected whether the receiver would have scored or not. 

In any event, that game was hard fought between two equally matched teams and the final score was in the ball park of their relative merits. Aside from that call, I can't remember any others that affected the game one way or another in favor of either team as the officials mostly let the teams play without throwing a lot of flags. It was a pity one team had to lose that game and I did not regret driving the three hours to watch it.  

11 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I think it was a block in the back. But this was 15 years ago, so I am not 100% certain. I am not alleging that the call was inappropriate, as I did not see the infraction, as I was focused on the player with the ball in his hands. However, I doubt very much that it affected whether the receiver would have scored or not. 

In any event, that game was hard fought between two equally matched teams and the final score was in the ball park of their relative merits. Aside from that call, I can't remember any others that affected the game one way or another in favor of either team as the officials mostly let the teams play without throwing a lot of flags. It was a pity one team had to lose that game and I did not regret driving the three hours to watch it.  

You're a true fan of the game.

21 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

He was contacted this morning by a coach from Hobart College (D-3) in upstate NY that has been actively recruiting him. Evan told him about breaking his arm Friday night and the coach told him that they still want him. It picked up his spirits and Evan said he's determined to play in college someplace. It was a much needed gesture from that coach and my grandson thanked him and said they were still a consideration. It may end up being a long trip to Buffalo area to see his games, but I'm game.

21 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

A block in the back is considered a player safety foul, in that case, whether the foul had and effect on the play itself would be irrelevant. As opposed to a foul such as holding, which is not a player safety foul and could be passed up for not having any effect on the play itself.   

10 hours ago, HornetFan said:

He was contacted this morning by a coach from Hobart College (D-3) in upstate NY that has been actively recruiting him. Evan told him about breaking his arm Friday night and the coach told him that they still want him. It picked up his spirits and Evan said he's determined to play in college someplace. It was a much needed gesture from that coach and my grandson thanked him and said they were still a consideration. It may end up being a long trip to Buffalo area to see his games, but I'm game.

I know this area very well. Hobart is located in Geneva which is between Rochester and Syracuse. You’ll be better off flying to one of those cities instead of Buffalo, at least from a distance standpoint. Hobart usually has a pretty decent D3 team and there are always possibilities. Just ask Ali Marpet (Not sure of spelling), a D3 all-American OL who’s currently injured but starts for Tampa Bay.
Geneva sits on the north end of Seneca Lake which is the biggest of the Finger Lakes. And oh yeah, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the several dozen wineries in the area for your pre and post game enjoyment.

4 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

A block in the back is considered a player safety foul, in that case, whether the foul had and effect on the play itself would be irrelevant. As opposed to a foul such as holding, which is not a player safety foul and could be passed up for not having any effect on the play itself.   

Assuming it was that as I truly don't remember, I accept it. However, it was an unfortunate way to have a critical score called back. As I said, overall, I thought the officials for that game did a good job. I did not make the post to be critical of them.  

I think this week has some good games as well. Again, when I look at some of these "powerhouse" schools, I don't really see anyone who can get tripped up by a much inferior opponent this week. I think these brackets have shaken out in a way that the best teams in each region will begin playing each other in Round 3. Any body think a team like Weikiva, Edgewater, etc is getting knocked out this week? I can't imagine it. Are there other areas with more potential for upsets?

On 11/15/2020 at 11:40 AM, HornetFan said:

You're a true fan of the game.

I first attended a high school game back in 1997, when my neighbors son was a bencher (mostly) at Dr. Phillips. He kept bugging me to come see them. I told him if they were unbeaten by mid-season, I would. They won their first five games and I went to the 6th at Evans. They lost that one 15-13, but it was a highly competitive game and I enjoyed it. I became a fan after that.

It helped that a few years later, both my children were at Apopka when they won their first state title. Although neither played football (band and soccer), my older son had a friend on that team (Antwan Coley) from his PLMS days, so they both attended the state title game with me at Doak Campbell, along with another of their friends. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I first attended a high school game back in 1997, when my neighbors son was a bencher (mostly) at Dr. Phillips. He kept bugging me to come see them. I told him if they were unbeaten by mid-season, I would. They won their first five games and I went to the 6th at Evans. They lost that one 15-13, but it was a highly competitive game and I enjoyed it. I became a fan after that.

It helped that a few years later, both my children were at Apopka when they won their first state title. Although neither played football (band and soccer), my older son had a friend on that team (Antwan Coley) from his PLMS days, so they both attended the state title game with me at Doak Campbell, along with another of their friends. 

I've been following my two grandsons for the past ten years in Pop Warner, CFYFL, and high school; the older at Bishop Moore in 9-11 grades and the younger one last year (9th grade - JV) at Winter Park. Being two years apart, they had never played on the same team together. The older guy made the decision to transfer to Winter Park for his senior season so he could finally play on the same team with his brother. That didn't sit too well with BM, but Coach Hedrick is a good guy and he understood. We have season tickets to UCF, but if there is ever a schedule conflict, I go to the high school game and give the UCF tickets away.

1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

I've been following my two grandsons for the past ten years in Pop Warner, CFYFL, and high school; the older at Bishop Moore in 9-11 grades and the younger one last year (9th grade - JV) at Winter Park. Being two years apart, they had never played on the same team together. The older guy made the decision to transfer to Winter Park for his senior season so he could finally play on the same team with his brother. That didn't sit too well with BM, but Coach Hedrick is a good guy and he understood. We have season tickets to UCF, but if there is ever a schedule conflict, I go to the high school game and give the UCF tickets away.

He is also an excellent coach who gets the best out of the kids he coaches. 

9 hours ago, Coach said:

I think this week has some good games as well. Again, when I look at some of these "powerhouse" schools, I don't really see anyone who can get tripped up by a much inferior opponent this week. I think these brackets have shaken out in a way that the best teams in each region will begin playing each other in Round 3. Any body think a team like Weikiva, Edgewater, etc is getting knocked out this week? I can't imagine it. Are there other areas with more potential for upsets?

Well there is the defacto 5a championship between AHP vs MNW happening this week but outside of that it seems there is a lot of good matchups regional wise being saved for regional semifinals or regional finals