Where are all the South Florida Opt-Out folks?

ExplorerHomer2

Getting envious that the central and northern schools are heading into playoffs, and figured we need some fans talking up the first ever, and hopefully LAST ever "Tri-County Championships" Thoughts on the games you've seen down here so far? Honestly, I've just watched a the BTW, NW, and Columbus games, but little else.

Columbus just finished up tonight with a 35-0 win against a decent NMB team, but honestly, it's so hard week to week to tell who is solid and who is playing with kids out or what. We have only 4 games under our belts, I know it's early, but, hell, we only have one more game in the regular season left. Goofd news is that the team is geling right now and playing well on both siades of the ball and kicking has been brilliant.

Even the NW and MC posters are quiet here!

Let's get some South Florida representation! The fact that Palmetto is the only SoFla 8A rep in the playoffs is killing me! I know Columbus would have made a deep run with a similarly talented squad this year. Sad time for many of us fans down here.

Anyhow, let's go Palmetto! 

• ExplorerHomer2 changed the title to Where are all the South Florida Opt-Out folks?

11 hours ago, ExplorerHomer2 said:

Getting envious that the central and northern schools are heading into playoffs, and figured we need some fans talking up the first ever, and hopefully LAST ever "Tri-County Championships" Thoughts on the games you've seen down here so far? Honestly, I've just watched a the BTW, NW, and Columbus games, but little else.

Columbus just finished up tonight with a 35-0 win against a decent NMB team, but honestly, it's so hard week to week to tell who is solid and who is playing with kids out or what. We have only 4 games under our belts, I know it's early, but, hell, we only have one more game in the regular season left. Goofd news is that the team is geling right now and playing well on both siades of the ball and kicking has been brilliant.

Even the NW and MC posters are quiet here!

Let's get some South Florida representation! The fact that Palmetto is the only SoFla 8A rep in the playoffs is killing me! I know Columbus would have made a deep run with a similarly talented squad this year. Sad time for many of us fans down here.

Anyhow, let's go Palmetto! 

I feel your pain. I was hoping for an Apopka/Columbus rematch. But that will never happen this year. I understand why most South Florida schools are out. But the playoffs will never be the same without participation from the tri-county area. 

Here's hoping next year this will be in the rearview mirror.

Palmetto has a tough draw for their first game. But it is at home, so who knows. In normal times I would make the drive for this game and spend the weekend with my sister who lives in Dade. But I am not even certain I could get tickets if I made the trip.  

Dade and Broward win the majority of all the titles every year so this FHSAA playoff is not real. It is merely an exhibition that means very little.

There will be teams that win a trophy but deep down they will always know that they didn’t truly earn a real championship. 

It will be equivalent to a regional championship at best 

30 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Dade and Broward win the majority of all the titles every year so this FHSAA playoff is not real. It is merely an exhibition that means very little.

There will be teams that win a trophy but deep down they will always know that they didn’t truly earn a real championship. 

It will be equivalent to a regional championship at 

Whatever dude trinity christian already beat a down south power. Keep doubting them.

34 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Dude it's still very possible that the same championships SFL won last year will be won again this year 

2a is still champagnat 

3a chaminade will likely defend their title

4a has Gulliver and Cardinal Gibbons

5a has MNW

6a has Miami Central

7a has STA 

8a has Miami Palmetto

If any north team beats any of those teams in the finals they earned it 

33 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Dude it's still very possible that the same championships SFL won last year will be won again this year 

2a is still champagnat 

5a has MNW

6a has Miami Central

7a has STA 

8a has Miami Palmetto

Most of them Winning,  with madison. 

31 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

2a is still champagnat 

5a has MNW

6a has Miami Central

7a has STA 

8a has Miami Palmetto

Cocoa will have to get past Cardinal Gibbons in order to play in the finals. That matchup will definitely make up for their missed game against Chaminade 

4 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Every team that wins a championship this year will be a state champion and these kids will remember if forever. It's not their fault that most Dade and Broward schools have opted out. Teams all the state have worked around Covid shutdowns and have done their absolute best to play this season. 

You tell these kids their not state champions and they'll laugh at you. As for South Florida, aren't Miami Palmetto (8A), St Thomas Aquinas (7A), Cardinal Gibbons (4A), and American Heritage (5A) playing in the playoffs? That's four the best from South Florida; do we really need the rest? So, if any of these four win a title, it shouldn't count? Be real..

4 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Every team that wins a championship this year will be a state champion and these kids will remember if forever. It's not their fault that most Dade and Broward schools have opted out. Teams all the state have worked around Covid shutdowns and have done their absolute best to play this season. 

You tell these kids their not state champions and they'll laugh at you. As for South Florida, aren't Miami Palmetto (8A), St Thomas Aquinas (7A), Cardinal Gibbons (4A), and American Heritage (5A) playing in the playoffs? That's four the best from South Florida; do we really need the rest? So, if any of these four win a title, it shouldn't count? Be real..

You left out MNW (5a) and Miami Central (6a)

I felt it depended upon who was in the classification so if Miami Central opted out then yes there would be an asterisk in 6a but I was happy to see that there is at least one team in all the classes who could have been considered favorites to win their classification if every team had opted in so I do think whoever wins the classes will actually have to earn it 

23 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

You left out MNW (5a) and Miami Central (6a)

I felt it depended upon who was in the classification so if Miami Central opted out then yes there would be an asterisk in 6a but I was happy to see that there is at least one team in all the classes who could have been considered favorites to win their classification if every team had opted in so I do think whoever wins the classes will actually have to earn it 

Why would it be an asterisk?? If MC opted out and Columbia won the 6A Championship would you still say the same thing just asking...

Just now, muckboy561 said:

Why would it be an asterisk?? If MC opted out and Columbia won the 6A Championship you still say the same thing just asking...

Yes I would because I know that's how people would see it 

They would say "you all only won 6a because you all didn't have to face Central, your all still a loser program who isn't as good as Lee"

That's the kind of crap I hear daily which is why I have stopped caring about winning a championship in football because I know that nothing Columbia ever does will ever get respect from this state 

So I rather focus my energy where it isn't being wasted

A championship that doesn't get you respect is just a paper weight, the trophy isn't what matters it's the respect your program earns from winning it that matters 

If you aren't getting any respect from winning a championship then what does it actually mean? Nothing!

There are programs in this state that have never won a championship that still get more respect than Columbia because we are seen as a joke for not having won a championship since 1967

Only thing left this postseason I want is to wreck a certain program's paper dominance in the regional finals after they disrespected our program with slanderous lies

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

A championship that doesn't get you respect is just a paper weight, the trophy isn't what matters it's the respect your program earns from winning it that matters 

If you aren't getting any respect from winning a championship then what does it actually mean? Nothing!

There are programs in this state that have never won a championship that still get more respect than Columbia because we are seen as a joke for not having won a championship since 1967

Only thing left this postseason I want is to wreck a certain program's paper dominance in the regional finals after they disrespected our program with slanderous lies

It appears you're willing to give up on your team very easily. They're still in the playoff, so there's still a chance. In a year like this, you should just appreciate every opportunity your team gets, especially considering most of us never really believed we be seeing playoff games this year.

If my team wins, you can be assured I will congratulate every one of them on their state championship.

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

In the short run, you are right. But 30 years from now, the record books will say you won the title and no one will remember the circumstances under which it was won. It depends on the time perspective you take. 

1 minute ago, HornetFan said:

It appears you're willing to give up on your team very easily. They're still in the playoff, so there's still a chance. In a year like this, you should just appreciate every opportunity your team gets, especially considering most of us never really believed we be seeing playoff games this year.

If my team wins, you can be assured I will congratulate every one of them on their state championship.

It's not that I've given up on them I just realize that without beating Miami Central by at least 14 in a state championship that people will always say our program isn't any good so I realize realistically that nothing Columbia ever does will get the program respect

This is equivalent to running a marathon and they say you only have to go 18 miles instead of the full 26.2. You pass through the finish line at the 18th mile and they congratulate you for “finishing” the marathon. You get a trophy and everyone feels good. But deep down inside you know the truth. You can spin it anyway. Change the wording in your brain to justify it. It will always have an asterisk. There is nothing you can do about it. It will never be a true championship. You can pretend and walk around with false bravado, but it will be make believe. A mirage. A figment of your imagination. Just dust in the wind. Just a drop of water in an endless sea. 

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

In the short run, you are right. But 30 years from now, the record books will say you won the title and no one will remember the circumstances under which it was won. It depends on the time perspective you take. 

I've always chased a state title and it's been nothing but heartbreak and disappointment but it's not the championship that holds value because ik I will never get a state championship ring or a trophy to hold up 

Defining myself by taking a championship any way I can get it will make me desperate and a failure

I chase a championship for the respect it garners and the only way to get respect is to beat the best, without beating the best does that really get the respect a program is chasing?

3 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

This is equivalent to running a marathon and they say you only have to go 18 miles instead of the full 26.2. You pass through the finish line at the 18th mile and they congratulate you for “finishing” the marathon. You get a trophy and everyone feels good. But deep down inside you know the truth. You can spin it anyway. Change the wording in your brain to justify it. It will always have an asterisk. There is nothing you can do about it. It will never be a true championship. You can pretend and walk around with false bravado, but it will be make believe. A mirage. A figment of your imagination. Just dust in the wind. Just a drop of water in an endless sea. 

So beating Miami Central in a state championship holds no weight? What were the odds someone else would have won state besides them if every team participates?

10 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It's not that I've given up on them I just realize that without beating Miami Central by at least 14 in a state championship that people will always say our program isn't any good so I realize realistically that nothing Columbia ever does will get the program respect

Columbia has talent. I have seen them play and know this to be true. The issue a public school like Columbia has in the current environment, is that it is difficult to supplement the talent since the next public school is so far away. Schools in large urban areas don't have this problem. Their problem is to keep their homegrown talent and supplement it with talent next door. Some of these schools are very good at doing this. There are a variety of reasons why. 

As things currently stand, the best a school like Columbia can hope for is to be competitive for a state title, perhaps, once every 10 or so years. Basically, everything has t align perfectly. Back in the 1990s this was not the case. 

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Columbia has talent. I have seen them play and know this to be true. The issue a public school like Columbia has in the current environment, is that it is difficult to supplement the talent since the next public school is so far away. Schools in large urban areas don't have this problem. Their problem is to keep their homegrown talent and supplement it with talent next door. Some of these schools are very good at doing this. There are a variety of reasons why. 

As things currently stand, the best a school like Columbia can hope for is to be competitive for a state title, perhaps, once every 10 or so years. Basically, everything has t align perfectly. Back in the 1990s this was not the case. 

For football it feels like they are past the days of being a realistic shot of winning a state title unless things change drastically because we just aren't gonna be in a situation to load up on talent needed to compete with Miami Central especially with all the talent we have we can barely beat Lee who isn't 1/10th the team talent wise or program wise that Miami Central is

I think Columbia has a better shot of winning state these days in basketball or softball because in those sports you don't need to have 20 D1 players to win state because a team like Central is loaded 

5 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

For football it feels like they are past the days of being a realistic shot of winning a state title unless things change drastically because we just aren't gonna be in a situation to load up on talent needed to compete with Miami Central especially with all the talent we have we can barely beat Lee who isn't 1/10th the team talent wise or program wise that Miami Central is

I think Columbia has a better shot of winning state these days in basketball or softball because in those sports you don't need to have 20 D1 players to win state because a team like Central is loaded 

You never know. Boone once went to the state semis, back to back to back. Three years in a row with one championship appearance. Before that, they had only made the playoffs twice in over 50 years and had only one playoff win. Now they were not able to win a title, but the teams they had over that 3 year period could have won one in some years. Boone has not done this since and may never do it again despite being well coached. They just lucked into one very, very good sophomore class that was able to take them deep three years running, including one where all their playoff games were on the road.

It can happen, but all the stars have to align right. I think Columbia has enough talent such that it will happen once every 10 to 15 years. The trick when it does is to take full advantage of it and hope that Central (or whoever the big dog is when it does, does not have the equivalent of Miami Northwestern 2005 or 2006 or Central 2010. It's a tall order and depends on a degree of luck.

But it is possible. Last year's Central team was very good, but not great. If Columbia's best team in the last 20 years played them it would have had a chance.  

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

I totally disagree