Where are all the South Florida Opt-Out folks?

ExplorerHomer2

7 hours ago, muckboy561 said:

So do yall count LA Lakers winning their NBA championship, do you put an asterisk on that????

Yes because every team participated.  Now if the Heat, Celtics, Clippers, Rockets etc all opted out then no I wouldn’t: 

Miami northwestern beat Key West 28-20! Lol.  These are not the same teams.  South Florida teams are playing half a schedule.  They all lost most of their season to execute better, coach better,  play better etc. 

In the record books the championship winner should have Asterisks next to their name and an explanation at the bottom of the page that says season shortened due to Covid 

3 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Yes because every team participated.  Now if the Heat, Celtics, Clippers, Rockets etc all opted out then no I wouldn’t: 

Miami northwestern beat Key West 28-20! Lol.  These are not the same teams.  South Florida teams are playing half a schedule.  They all lost most of their season to execute better, coach better,  play better etc. 

In the record books the championship winner should have Asterisks next to their name and an explanation at the bottom of the page that says season shortened due to Covid 

Okay I'll start in 5a, 6a and 7a

What team with any shot of winning a championship opted out?

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Okay I'll start in 5a, 6a and 7a

What team with any shot of winning a championship opted out?

Okay, you got a point for those three. But in 8A, Columbus, Western and some others had a legitimate shot. Also in 4A, I don't think BTW opted in. So some of the titles will have different champs than they would have in a normal year. But I go back to the point I made. In thirty years no one will remember the circumstances surrounding this year. All they will see in the record books is who won the titles. 

31 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Okay, you got a point for those three. But in 8A, Columbus, Western and some others had a legitimate shot. Also in 4A, I don't think BTW opted in. So some of the titles will have different champs than they would have in a normal year. But I go back to the point I made. In thirty years no one will remember the circumstances surrounding this year. All they will see in the record books is who won the titles. 

That's a fair point for both classes but I could argue that in 

8a

Miami Palmetto had as good a shot of winning 8a before the season as any team listed 

And in 4a 

Gulliver Prep, Cardinal Gibbons and even Cocoa had as much a chance as winning as BTW did 

In 2a,3a,5a,6a and 7a the projected SFL favorites all opted in so it's funny nolebull is actually like we gonna get some oddball results at state when I think we will still end up with SFL taking home 7 titles like last year or at least being favored going into the game 

It's another case of nolebull making a mountain out of a nolehill

59 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

In 2a,3a,5a,6a and 7a the projected SFL favorites all opted in so it's funny nolebull is actually like we gonna get some oddball results at state when I think we will still end up with SFL taking home 7 titles like last year or at least being favored going into the game 

If Edgewater can make up for the disrupted season, I think they have as good a shot as they did last year. I also think Jones will be in the mix in 5A again. Regarding 8A, I think Seminole high will give Palmetto all it can handle. So, I think Central Florida has a chance at its best year ever. 

4 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If Edgewater can make up for the disrupted season, I think they have as good a shot as they did last year. I also think Jones will be in the mix in 5A again. Regarding 8A, I think Seminole high will give Palmetto all it can handle. So, I think Central Florida has a chance at its best year ever. 

It's possible but regardless I have no doubt whoever makes it out of the south in every class 2a-8a would have been a realistic threat in a normal year 

I'm not as confident about Seminole as some of their past teams, might just be a hunch but I haven't seen a "state championship team" in them so far 

29 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It's possible but regardless I have no doubt whoever makes it out of the south in every class 2a-8a would have been a realistic threat in a normal year 

I'm not as confident about Seminole as some of their past teams, might just be a hunch but I haven't seen a "state championship team" in them so far 

Cocoa would've have been the favorite to make it out of the North side of the bracket in 4a if this was a normal year. This season its between them, Gibbons and Gulliver to make it out of the south and whichever one does should be favored to win state.

17 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

This is equivalent to running a marathon and they say you only have to go 18 miles instead of the full 26.2. You pass through the finish line at the 18th mile and they congratulate you for “finishing” the marathon. You get a trophy and everyone feels good. But deep down inside you know the truth. You can spin it anyway. Change the wording in your brain to justify it. It will always have an asterisk. There is nothing you can do about it. It will never be a true championship. You can pretend and walk around with false bravado, but it will be make believe. A mirage. A figment of your imagination. Just dust in the wind. Just a drop of water in an endless sea. 

Not quite. They offered everyone the opportunity to run the full 26 miles, but you decided not to run. That takes nothing away from the teams that played the season and worked their way through the playoffs. They'll be state champions and you can lament for years that your favorite teams elected not to compete.

8 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

The teams may have played, but just like in the NFL and NCAAF, players, many of them stars, opted out. So, the Lakers by your account, did not win a championship. Also, they played abbreviated seasons, so there can be no legitimacy in the Laker or the Dodger championships for that matter. They should probably throw out any individual and team records that may have been set also. We could call it the "NoleBull Factor'  :D

6 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

The teams may have played, but just like in the NFL and NCAAF, players, many of them stars, opted out. So, the Lakers by your account, did not win a championship. Also, they played abbreviated seasons, so there can be no legitimacy in the Laker or the Dodger championships for that matter. They should probably throw out any individual and team records that may have been set also. We could call it the "NoleBull Factor'  :D

Exactly

55 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Seminole has had one bad game (Spruce Creek). I am not close to the program to know if there were any mitigating factors. It could have been that they just had a bad game. It could be key players missed the game for any number of reasons. What I do know is that last year, although Apopka won by 20 in the third round, that game could easily have gone the other way. They were driving comfortably in their first possession and had moved the ball inside the Apopka 15 when the ball carrier got hit hard and coughed it up. Apopka took it about 80 yards the other way, flipping the field on them and two plays later scored. Had Seminole scored on that opening possession, it could easily have been a totally different ball game. Seminole returned the majority of players from that squad as they were not especially senior laden. I would not underestimate them.

2 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Seminole has had one bad game (Spruce Creek). I am not close to the program to know if there were any mitigating factors. It could have been that they just had a bad game. It could be key players missed the game for any number of reasons. What I do know is that last year, although Apopka won by 20 in the third round, that game could easily have gone the other way. They were driving comfortably in their first possession and had moved the ball inside the Apopka 15 when the ball carrier got hit hard and coughed it up. Apopka took it about 80 yards the other way, flipping the field on them and two plays later scored. Had Seminole scored on that opening possession, it could easily have been a totally different ball game. Seminole returned the majority of players from that squad as they were not especially senior laden. I would not underestimate them.

With an athlete like Timmy McClain at QB, Seminole always has a chance. He's a dual threat QB who can beat you with his arm or feet. I wouldn't bet against Seminole.

13 hours ago, HornetFan said:

With an athlete like Timmy McClain at QB, Seminole always has a chance. He's a dual threat QB who can beat you with his arm or feet. I wouldn't bet against Seminole.

I have watched Timmy since his youth football days in Apopka. While he has mobility, I would classify him as a prostyle QB. Why? His instincts. He does not have many design run plays and tends to take off only when the pocket breaks down. I would be surprised if he runs much at the next level. Physically, and instinct wise, he reminds me of a Jacory Harris or even a Gunnar Smith.

Regardless, he is a quality football player who might have played his high school ball at Apopka if the Darters had a more open offense. 

9 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

I am really late to the party, but how is Miami Northwestern in the playoffs, but no other Miami-Dade public schools. I would think this would have been an all or nothing thing with school districts. 

I think the Broward School District made the decision on behalf of all of its schools that they would opt out.   Miami-Dade, on the other hand, left the decision up to the individual schools.  Most opted out; some opted in.   Or to phrase that in another way (and generally speaking):  those schools that knew they had no chance of playing for or winning a state title opted out, whereas those schools who thought they had a legitimate shot at a ring opted in.   

10 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

I am really late to the party, but how is Miami Northwestern in the playoffs, but no other Miami-Dade public schools. I would think this would have been an all or nothing thing with school districts. 

Miami Edison, miami Central, and Miami Palmetto are also in the playoffs in terms of publics

• 5 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, muckboy561 said:

Are we still handing out asterisks for this year State Championships game????? Just asking again?

For any team that wins a State Championship - No. 

For any team that was unable to compete in the playoffs - Yes. 

For any team that was able to compete in the playoffs, but lost - Maybe. 

Taking a quote from Coach Nichols, he was glad we had to travel to south FL to play a team that early on was favored to win 8A for the very reason you are focused on.  He didn't want to be hung with owning any championship that had an asterisk.   Therefore, whoever wins on Saturday should not have their accomplishment tarnished due to Covid as it has been earned.