Columbia in the Playoffs

OldSchoolLion

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

If Columbia can get past Mainland, they could face St Augustine the playoffs.  Columbia has faced St Augustine teams 9 times in the past 15 years.  What is their record in those games?

Before the 4 year run of facing them in the playoffs in 2011-2014 columbia hadn't faced St Augustine since they shared a district in 1998

Columbia went 3-1 in that stretch with a 2-1 record at St Augustine and 1-0 record in Lake City

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Before the 4 year run of facing them in the playoffs in 2011-2014 columbia hadn't faced St Augustine since they shared a district in 1998

Columbia went 3-1 in that stretch with a 2-1 record at St Augustine and 1-0 record in Lake City

Good.  How about over the whole stretch?

7 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Good.  How about over the whole stretch?

Well 1998 wouldn't be in the past 15 years and until the 2011 game they hadn't faced off in a playoff game 

In the regular season between 1993 and 1998 columbia went 4-0 

St Augustine has 3 total wins over Columbia since 1980, (1981, 1992, 2014*playoffs)

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Sorry, unclear question on my part.  Was thinking St Augustine and Nease

Okay so with St Augustine and Nease it would be Columbia at 3-2 in postseason history against those 2 programs with all but one of the games coming on the road (they never faced off in postseason prior to the recent 15 year period)

Seeing how this season is rolling, no offense, but I would say St Augustine is better than both Mainland and Columbia. I’ve always respected both but it seems like Columbia and Mainland ain’t the normal Columbia and Mainland. Not saying they aren’t good, I’m just saying it doesn’t look like they are the teams they’ve had in the past. St Augustine win over Escambia this weekend was impressive. 

Columbia is probably 3 weeks too late in finding an offense. Honestly,  I am still not sure they have an offense and it very much looked a the kitchen sink offense, where they were just throwing everything out there and seeing what works. 

They played a pretty tough regular season, but no spring, no summer and replacing an experienced backfield and WRs. I am not surprised they struggled. If they are going with the JR as QB, he will have to make a decision regarding baseball. 

I think this week against Mainland is where the season ends though. 

18 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

Columbia is probably 3 weeks too late in finding an offense. Honestly,  I am still not sure they have an offense and it very much looked a the kitchen sink offense, where they were just throwing everything out there and seeing what works. 

They played a pretty tough regular season, but no spring, no summer and replacing an experienced backfield and WRs. I am not surprised they struggled. If they are going with the JR as QB, he will have to make a decision regarding baseball. 

I think this week against Mainland is where the season ends though. 

Which junior?

We got one that plays basketball and another that plays baseball

It seems like the one playing basketball is gonna make basketball his second sport as he is already getting P5 offers in football despite not having played a game before this season

Also I'll fill in the details because I'm sure nobody actually knew this from last week but 2 of Columbia starting receivers missed Fridays game, one is a Western Michigan commit and the other is a sophomore who's on the verge of getting some good offers and is probably the fastest player on the team

Both will likely be cleared for Mainland but because of that they went to a run first offense against Seabreeze but they will have more balance against Mainland

Yes you are accurate that the lack of spring and summer really hurt columbia in addition to starting 3 weeks later than the rest of North FL but when I look at Mainland they are very beatable, they gave up 28 points to mantazas who had only scored 7 points to New Smyrna Beach the week before and Mainland also gave up 21 points to Gainesville who was playing only their second game since September

This game at the worst is a toss up

As for St Augustine I'll worry about them after Mainland

Only two teams have scored over 10 points against Mainland. Gainesville scored 21 in losing and Seminole score 24 in winning. Bolles only scored 3 points against Mainland in a 7-3 loss. Makes me think that Mainland has a lights out defense and a lights dim offense. It seems that Columbia has played the much more difficult schedule and has righted itself over the last 4 games after a disastrous start to the season. Playing at home should give Columbia an edge. If everything plays out the way it should then Columbia wins this one IMO. The only drawback that I see is that apparently Columbia's offense can't seem to make up its mind who's on first. No preferred QB, no preferred RBs, no preferred WRs. Hopefully the defense is not as convoluted. :unsure:

1 minute ago, Proseteye said:

Only two teams have scored over 10 points against Mainland. Gainesville scored 21 in losing and Seminole score 24 in winning. Bolles only scored 3 points against Mainland in a 7-3 loss. Makes me think that Mainland has a lights out defense and a lights dim offense. It seems that Columbia has played the much more difficult schedule and has righted itself over the last 4 games after a disastrous start to the season. Playing at home should give Columbia an edge. If everything plays out the way it should then Columbia wins this one IMO. The only drawback that I see is that apparently Columbia's offense can't seem to make up its mind who's on first. No preferred QB, no preferred RBs, no preferred WRs. Hopefully the defense is not as convoluted. :unsure:

Matanzas also scored 28 this past week so since the Bolles game Mainland has given up a total of 49 points over the last 2 games 

Columbia has given up a total of 21 but 7 of those came on a kickoff return and that total was over the span of 3 games so if we add in the Bolles game to make 3 games a fair comparison it's columbia giving up 21 and Mainland giving up 52 points

3 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Marcus Peterson who moved from WR to QB seems to be the preferred option but they had to split his time between wr and QB last week because 2 of our starters were injured but both should be ready this week 

5 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Defense seems to be okay, I saw a few things in the second half last week that concerned me but they are type of things that can be corrected in the film room

The defense is finally getting healthy as is the offense which finally has the top 2 RBs healthy at the same time after both RBs spent most of the first 2 months of the season in and out of the lineup

Health wise this is probably the best columbia has been all year 

On 11/23/2020 at 4:07 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Defense seems to be okay, I saw a few things in the second half last week that concerned me but they are type of things that can be corrected in the film room

The defense is finally getting healthy as is the offense which finally has the top 2 RBs healthy at the same time after both RBs spent most of the first 2 months of the season in and out of the lineup

Health wise this is probably the best columbia has been all year 

Congratulations to the CHS Tigers for their 28-26 win over Mainland.